Old 08-19-2008, 09:49 PM
"Дмитрий Ульяненок"

Default Ndiswrapper not work...

Hi. I'm from Russia. Sorry for my English...

I have successfully install Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r4 on my notebook
Acer Aspire 4310. There are bcm94311 mcg wireless card.
For make it work i use simple manual placed on this page:
(I was use only first dvd Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r4, this manual and
Windows wireless driver - *.sys and *.inf files)

When I Install Debian Lenny I can't use ndiswrapper... - it's not working!

After installing ndiswrapper tool and load Windows driver...
typing in terminal

~# ndiswrapper -l

in Debian 4.0 r4 (and in r3) :
driver installed
device (14E4:4311) present

in Lenny: may be like in Etch 4.0 r4, and one more this:
alternative driver: ssb

I think this ssb-module is make wrong work ndiswrapper...

By using b43-fwcutter my card work not correctly and not so fast! And
to use it I must have Ethernet connection - to download firmware.
But I , for example, did not have it at home...

Did You plane to next stable Debian version support ndiswrapper?

How can I install ndiswrapper on Lenny?

--
(c) Dmitry
(c) Дмитрий

Old 08-20-2008, 07:27 AM
consultores1

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 01:49 +0400, Дмитрий Ульяненок wrote:
> Hi. I'm from Russia. Sorry for my English...
>
> I have successfully install Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r4 on my notebook
> Acer Aspire 4310. There are bcm94311 mcg wireless card.
> For make it work i use simple manual placed on this page:
> http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/401
> (I was use only first dvd Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r4, this manual and
> Windows wireless driver - *.sys and *.inf files)
>
> When I Install Debian Lenny I can't use ndiswrapper... - it's not working!
>
> After installing ndiswrapper tool and load Windows driver...
> typing in terminal
>
> ~# ndiswrapper -l
>
> in Debian 4.0 r4 (and in r3) :
> driver installed
> device (14E4:4311) present
>
> in Lenny: may be like in Etch 4.0 r4, and one more this:
> alternative driver: ssb
>
> I think this ssb-module is make wrong work ndiswrapper...
>

> By using b43-fwcutter my card work not correctly and not so fast! And
> to use it I must have Ethernet connection - to download firmware.
> But I , for example, did not have it at home...
>
> Did You plane to next stable Debian version support ndiswrapper?
>
> How can I install ndiswrapper on Lenny?
>

> --
> (c) Dmitry
> (c) Дмитри

I don't know how; but i use b43-fwcutter from Debian repositories.
I use Lenny and broadcom card.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:09 PM

> I don't know how; but i use b43-fwcutter from Debian repositories.
> I use Lenny and broadcom card.

I finally got rid of my broadcom card because no matter what driver I
tried to use results were inconsistent. It would work for a while, then at
some point after getting updates, I would have to fiddle with it. And if
you google for solutions they seem pretty inconsistent across the board
with the range of solutions that work for some, but not for others.

My old card was a Linksys, I switched to a newer Linksys card that uses
ralink chipset and it has been working pretty well for me. Not at home
at the moment, but the chipset is rt61 or rt63. Used the driver from
the ralink website for a while initially, but have been using the version
that ships in the kernel for a while now. Initally the in kernel version
worked fine for me, then there was a stretch where it had some kind
of glitch once in a while, but still mostly worked. With the current 2.6.26
kernel in unstable it seems to be fine again, don't know about the
kernel in Lenny.

Later, Seeker

Old 08-24-2008, 03:58 AM
Celejar

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 21:09:00 +0000
seeker5528@comcast.net wrote:

> > I don't know how; but i use b43-fwcutter from Debian repositories.
> > I use Lenny and broadcom card.
>
> I finally got rid of my broadcom card because no matter what driver I
> tried to use results were inconsistent. It would work for a while, then at
> some point after getting updates, I would have to fiddle with it. And if
> you google for solutions they seem pretty inconsistent across the board
> with the range of solutions that work for some, but not for others.

For the record, the bcm43xx list is a great resource for support for
the open source broadcom reverse engineered drivers. The devs read it
and provide help. They do not suffer fools gladly, and you had better
RTFM (and the list archives), and not be making the same mistakes made
by many previous to you, but if you follow the rules, they will help.

Celejar