Old 08-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Florian Kulzer

Default starting apache at boot?

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 23:24:56 -0400, Zach Uram wrote:
> I manually compiled apache2 since the version packaged for Debian is
> the threaded version which causes fatal memory errors on my VPS host
> and it works great but now I need to tell it to start every time my
> system boots. Running Debian lenny/sid (testing release) with 2.6.18
> Linux kernel.

Is there a reason for sticking with 2.6.18?

> How exactly can I do this?

Just to make sure that you did not miss a possibly much simpler solution
of your problem: Did you try to use "apache2-mpm-prefork" instead of
"apache2-mpm-worker"? The prefork package will give you the non-threaded
version, so it should save you the trouble of compiling apache2
yourself.

If you really need to use your self-compiled version of apache2 then you
should have a look at section 11.6 of this document:

http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-customizing.en.html

Florian |

Old 08-18-2008, 03:01 PM
"Edward J. Shornock"

On Sunday 17 August 2008 06.24.56 Zach Uram wrote:
> I manually compiled apache2 since the version packaged for Debian is
> the threaded version which causes fatal memory errors on my VPS host

*The* version?
$ aptitude search '^apache2-mpm'
v apache2-mpm -
p apache2-mpm-event - Apache HTTP
Server - event driven model
p apache2-mpm-itk - multiuser MPM
for Apache 2.2
p apache2-mpm-perchild - Transitional
package - please remove
i apache2-mpm-prefork - Apache HTTP
Server - traditional non-threaded model
p apache2-mpm-worker - Apache HTTP
Server - high speed threaded model

The non-threaded version was just an `aptitude install apache2-mpm-prefork`
away.

> and it works great but now I need to tell it to start every time my
> system boots. Running Debian lenny/sid (testing release) with 2.6.18
> Linux kernel. How exactly can I do this?

See /etc/init.d/skeleton for hints.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:11 PM
"Mike Pobega"

Lazy way out, you could just edit /etc/rc.local and add in your Apache binary. I've started many custom compiled things that way