Old 08-21-2008, 06:30 AM
NN_il_Confusionario

Default Happy birthday, Debian!

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 12:44:51AM +0300, Shachar Or wrote:
> On Thursday 21 August 2008 00:28, NN_il_Confusionario wrote:
>> http://debian.org.ua/debian-archive/dists/bo/main/disks-i386/1997-10-13/install.txt
>> (use your nearest mirror of debian-archive instead of debian.org.ua)
> I can't find the installation media.

what's wrong with the files *.bin (in the same directory) for a floppy
installation?

Old 08-21-2008, 07:46 AM
Shachar Or

On Thursday 21 August 2008 09:30, NN_il_Confusionario wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 12:44:51AM +0300, Shachar Or wrote:
> > On Thursday 21 August 2008 00:28, NN_il_Confusionario wrote:
> >> http://debian.org.ua/debian-archive/dists/bo/main/disks-i386/1997-10-13/
> >>install.txt (use your nearest mirror of debian-archive instead of
> >> debian.org.ua)
> >
> > I can't find the installation media.
>
> what's wrong with the files *.bin (in the same directory) for a floppy
> installation?

In VirtualBox OSE 1.6.2 it boots from the floppy, apparently and all I see is
the cursor in the firt line, not blinking and the CPU stays idle.

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 08-21-2008, 06:15 PM
NN_il_Confusionario

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 10:46:49AM +0300, Shachar Or wrote:
> > what's wrong with the files *.bin
> In VirtualBox OSE 1.6.2 it boots from the floppy, apparently and all I see is
> the cursor in the firt line, not blinking and the CPU stays idle.

I cannot help about VirtualBox, but you can try other virtualization
methods (such as quemu, bochs) or a real hardware to understand if the
problem is in the *.bin files

I suspect that the problem is not in the files, but in some
incompatibility with VirtualBox (or of your configuration of
VirtualBox). VirtualBox documentation/googling/forums might help.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:07 PM
"Mike Pobega"

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 12:53 PM, Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> wrote:

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 07:27:19PM +0000, i'll teach you to turn away. wrote:

> * * * whoa. & i've been running it for 11. has anyone here been with

> debian from the start?

* *Not I. *I came in somewhere between Bo and Hamm which places me solidly in

the 10-11 year range.

Debian 1.3 Bo (June 5th, 1997)

Debian 2.0 Hamm (July 24th, 1998)

I wish I was even using Debian for that long. I'm 18 now, been a user since I was 15, Debian Sarge. I grew up in a Windows household, so it was actually a big move for me to go to Debian at all

Old 08-23-2008, 05:51 PM

Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> wrote:
SL> [-- text/plain, encoding quoted-printable, charset: us-ascii, 19 lines --]
SL> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 07:27:19PM +0000, i'll teach you to turn away. wrote:
>> whoa. & i've been running it for 11. has anyone here been with
>> debian from the start?
SL> Not I. I came in somewhere between Bo and Hamm which places me solidly in
SL> the 10-11 year range.
SL> Debian 1.3 Bo (June 5th, 1997)
SL> Debian 2.0 Hamm (July 24th, 1998)

i remember upgrading to bo.

lish
crank@got.net

Old 08-25-2008, 06:48 AM
Steve Lamb

Mike Pobega wrote:
> I wish I was even using Debian for that long. I'm 18 now, been a user
> since I was 15, Debian Sarge. I grew up in a Windows household, so it
> was actually a big move for me to go to Debian at all

Well, if it is any consolation at 18 I was running a BBS based on SuperBBS
under DesqVIEW and later WME under OS/2 on a 386sx-16Mhz machine with 8Mb of RAM.

Slackware was 21 or so. Debian was... 23ish.

And thank you so much for making me feel old.