Old 08-20-2008, 04:53 PM
"Steve Lamb"

Default Happy birthday, Debian!

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 07:27:19PM +0000, i'll teach you to turn away. wrote:
> whoa. & i've been running it for 11. has anyone here been with
> debian from the start?

Not I. I came in somewhere between Bo and Hamm which places me solidly in
the 10-11 year range.

Debian 1.3 Bo (June 5th, 1997)
Debian 2.0 Hamm (July 24th, 1998)

--
Steve C. Lamb | I'm your priest, I'm your shrink, I'm your
PGP Key: 1FC01004 | main connection to the switchboard of souls.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Shachar Or

I wonder if there's a system somewhere that was never re-installed, only
upgraded from one of the earliest versions...

It would be interesting to see what ruins can be found amongst the files.

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 08-20-2008, 08:21 PM
NN_il_Confusionario

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 07:58:46PM +0300, Shachar Or wrote:
> I wonder if there's a system somewhere that was never re-installed, only
> upgraded from one of the earliest versions...

yes

but not on the disk where debian 1.1 was installed from floppy disks,
and not on the same cpu/motherboard. However the floppy drive should be
the same, I seem to recall. Clearly I do not count as reinstall the copy
of an existing installation.

> It would be interesting to see what ruins can be found amongst the files.

None, if you purge "obsolete or local packages" (with care since some of
these old packages were "essential" at their times)

What you want to be present, if you selectively decide what to purge.

Even libc4 (for a.out binaries), if you keep all.

Try it yourself using archive.debian.net : 1.3.1 is quite similar to the
first release 1.1. Install that and upgrade to 2.0 then to 2.1 then ...

Old 08-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Shachar Or

On Wednesday 20 August 2008 23:21, NN_il_Confusionario wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 07:58:46PM +0300, Shachar Or wrote:
> > I wonder if there's a system somewhere that was never re-installed, only
> > upgraded from one of the earliest versions...
>
> yes
>
> but not on the disk where debian 1.1 was installed from floppy disks,
> and not on the same cpu/motherboard. However the floppy drive should be
> the same, I seem to recall. Clearly I do not count as reinstall the copy
> of an existing installation.

Cool

> > It would be interesting to see what ruins can be found amongst the files.
>
> None, if you purge "obsolete or local packages" (with care since some of
> these old packages were "essential" at their times)

I bet someone forgot something somewhere, policy or not!

> What you want to be present, if you selectively decide what to purge.
>
> Even libc4 (for a.out binaries), if you keep all.
>
> Try it yourself using archive.debian.net : 1.3.1 is quite similar to the
> first release 1.1. Install that and upgrade to 2.0 then to 2.1 then ...

Will certainly do! But how do I install that 1.1 version at all?

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 08-20-2008, 09:28 PM
NN_il_Confusionario

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 11:33:05PM +0300, Shachar Or wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 August 2008 23:21, NN_il_Confusionario wrote:
> > Try it yourself using archive.debian.net : 1.3.1 is quite similar to the
> > first release 1.1. Install that and upgrade to 2.0 then to 2.1 then ...
>
> Will certainly do! But how do I install that 1.1 version at all?

Sorry for my bad english. I wanted to suggest the istallation of 1.3.1
http://debian.org.ua/debian-archive/dists/bo/main/disks-i386/1997-10-13/install.txt
(use your nearest mirror of debian-archive instead of debian.org.ua)

If you _really_ want 1.1 (with kernel 2.0.0), first install 1.3.1 then
downgrade by compiling from source
http://debian.org.ua/debian-archive/dists/Debian-1.1/source/

Old 08-20-2008, 09:44 PM
Shachar Or

On Thursday 21 August 2008 00:28, NN_il_Confusionario wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 11:33:05PM +0300, Shachar Or wrote:
> > On Wednesday 20 August 2008 23:21, NN_il_Confusionario wrote:
> > > Try it yourself using archive.debian.net : 1.3.1 is quite similar to
> > > the first release 1.1. Install that and upgrade to 2.0 then to 2.1 then
> >
> > Will certainly do! But how do I install that 1.1 version at all?
>
> Sorry for my bad english. I wanted to suggest the istallation of 1.3.1
> http://debian.org.ua/debian-archive/dists/bo/main/disks-i386/1997-10-13/ins
>tall.txt (use your nearest mirror of debian-archive instead of
> debian.org.ua)

I can't find the installation media.

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 08-20-2008, 10:27 PM
John Hasler

Shachar Or wrote:
> I wonder if there's a system somewhere that was never re-installed, only
> upgraded from one of the earliest versions...

I'm using it right now (of course, none of the hardware is the same...)

> It would be interesting to see what ruins can be found amongst the files.

There's my fvwm configuration and my .emacs. Both go all the way back to
my days on BSDI and both could be justifiably described as "ruins".
--
John Hasler

Old 08-21-2008, 04:57 AM
"s. keeling"

John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org>:
> Shachar Or wrote:
> > I wonder if there's a system somewhere that was never re-installed, only
> > upgraded from one of the earliest versions...
>
> I'm using it right now (of course, none of the hardware is the same...)
>
> > It would be interesting to see what ruins can be found amongst the files.
>
> There's my fvwm configuration and my .emacs. Both go all the way back to
> my days on BSDI and both could be justifiably described as "ruins".

Might I solicit your opinion of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_Software_Design

Interesting story. If it had been done five years later, ... Ten?

Old 08-21-2008, 05:00 AM
Marc Shapiro

Steve Lamb wrote:

whoa. & i've been running it for 11. has anyone here been with
debian from the start?

Not I. I came in somewhere between Bo and Hamm which places me solidly in
the 10-11 year range.

Debian 1.3 Bo (June 5th, 1997)
Debian 2.0 Hamm (July 24th, 1998)

Same here.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com

Old 08-21-2008, 05:15 AM
Marc Shapiro

NN_il_Confusionario wrote:

I wonder if there's a system somewhere that was never re-installed, only
upgraded from one of the earliest versions...

yes

but not on the disk where debian 1.1 was installed from floppy disks,
and not on the same cpu/motherboard. However the floppy drive should be
the same, I seem to recall. Clearly I do not count as reinstall the copy
of an existing installation.

Up until I installed Etch, that was the case for me. One continuous
upgrade since Bo, or Hamm, through to Sarge. Sometimes the Hard Drive
moved to another system, or a new MB was put in, or the system was
cloned to another HD and then upgraded, but it never got a reinstall.

No part of my current desktop was actually in the computer that got my
original Debian install, though there may be bits of that system still
around in a box, somewhere.

It would be interesting to see what ruins can be found amongst the files.

That was one of the primary reasons that I did a fresh install when I
switched to Etch. Now Aptitude (in place of Apt) helps keep the cruft down.

P.S. I did the Etch install in a chroot in free space on the disk. I
should still have the Sarge install in currently unused partitions on my
disk.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com