Old 08-15-2008, 04:58 PM
"H.S."

Default how to try OOo's 3.0 beta deb on Debian?

I am tempted to try the OOo 3.0 beta deb available here:
http://download.openoffice.org/3.0beta/

However, I want to keep it separate from the Debian's OOo installation
that I have so that I may purge the beta installation cleanly.

I am not very familiar with the internal workings of a deb file. Has
anybody tried the Beta deb above? Can it be removed cleanly after trying
it? Is there any way to make the deb installation on a specific
location, e.g. /usr/local?

Thanks.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:59 PM
"Zaki Akhmad"

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 11:58 PM, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am tempted to try the OOo 3.0 beta deb available here:
> http://download.openoffice.org/3.0beta/
>
> However, I want to keep it separate from the Debian's OOo installation
> that I have so that I may purge the beta installation cleanly.

I haven't try it. But you can try
# dpkg -i *.deb
to install deb package

--
Zaki Akhmad

Old 08-15-2008, 06:04 PM
"H.S."

Zaki Akhmad wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 11:58 PM, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am tempted to try the OOo 3.0 beta deb available here:
>> http://download.openoffice.org/3.0beta/
>>
>> However, I want to keep it separate from the Debian's OOo installation
>> that I have so that I may purge the beta installation cleanly.
>
> I haven't try it. But you can try
> # dpkg -i *.deb
> to install deb package

That I know. I just wasn't sure if the beta deb will interfere with my
Debian's OOo installation or not.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:36 PM
Jonathan Kaye

H.S. wrote:

> I am tempted to try the OOo 3.0 beta deb available here:
> http://download.openoffice.org/3.0beta/
>
> However, I want to keep it separate from the Debian's OOo installation
> that I have so that I may purge the beta installation cleanly.
>
> I am not very familiar with the internal workings of a deb file. Has
> anybody tried the Beta deb above? Can it be removed cleanly after trying
> it? Is there any way to make the deb installation on a specific
> location, e.g. /usr/local?
>
> Thanks.
Hi H.S.,
It won't interfere with your current OOo installation. The debs install the
beta version in a separate folder called ooo-dev3. It's installed
under /opt on my system. I have been running both the beta and 2.4.1 and
have not experienced any problems. If you create a new document with 3.0
and then later open it with 2.4.1 it will notice this and offer to update
2.4.1. You can politely refuse the offer and carry on with your 2 systems.
Cheers,
Jonathan

Old 08-15-2008, 06:44 PM
"H.S."

Jonathan Kaye wrote:

> Hi H.S.,
> It won't interfere with your current OOo installation. The debs install the
> beta version in a separate folder called ooo-dev3. It's installed
> under /opt on my system. I have been running both the beta and 2.4.1 and
> have not experienced any problems. If you create a new document with 3.0
> and then later open it with 2.4.1 it will notice this and offer to update
> 2.4.1. You can politely refuse the offer and carry on with your 2 systems.
> Cheers,
> Jonathan

Thanks for the clarificaton. I am now going to give the beta a shot on
my Debian Lenny.

BTW, how do you deal with newer betas? Do you purge the previous one first?

->HS

Old 08-15-2008, 09:29 PM
"H.S."

H.S. wrote:
> I am tempted to try the OOo 3.0 beta deb available here:
> http://download.openoffice.org/3.0beta/
>
> However, I want to keep it separate from the Debian's OOo installation
> that I have so that I may purge the beta installation cleanly.
>
> I am not very familiar with the internal workings of a deb file. Has
> anybody tried the Beta deb above? Can it be removed cleanly after trying
> it? Is there any way to make the deb installation on a specific
> location, e.g. /usr/local?
>
> Thanks.

Just an update. I installed the new beta debs of OOo 3.0 by going into
the DEBS director and doing:
#> dpkg -i *

Note that this way the package is installed in /opt, make sure you have
sufficient disk space there.

When I wanted to remove the installation, I gave the command (the
following was on one line):
$> sudo aptitude purge ooobasis3.0-base ooobasis3.0-binfilter
ooobasis3.0-calc ooobasis3.0-core01 ooobasis3.0-core03
ooobasis3.0-core02 ooobasis3.0-core04 ooobasis3.0-core05
ooobasis3.0-core06 ooobasis3.0-core07 ooobasis3.0-core08
ooobasis3.0-dict-en ooobasis3.0-dict-es ooobasis3.0-dict-fr
ooobasis3.0-draw ooobasis3.0-emailmerge ooobasis3.0-en-us
ooobasis3.0-en-us-base ooobasis3.0-en-us-binfilter
ooobasis3.0-en-us-calc ooobasis3.0-en-us-draw ooobasis3.0-en-us-help
ooobasis3.0-en-us-impress ooobasis3.0-en-us-math
ooobasis3.0-en-us-onlineupd ooobasis3.0-en-us-res
ooobasis3.0-en-us-writer ooobasis3.0-gnome-integration
ooobasis3.0-graphicfilter ooobasis3.0-headless ooobasis3.0-images
ooobasis3.0-impress ooobasis3.0-javafilter ooobasis3.0-kde-integration
ooobasis3.0-math ooobasis3.0-onlineupdate ooobasis3.0-ooofonts
ooobasis3.0-ooolinguistic ooobasis3.0-pyuno ooobasis3.0-testtool
ooobasis3.0-writer ooobasis3.0-xsltfilter openoffice.org3
openoffice.org3-base openoffice.org3-calc openoffice.org3-draw
openoffice.org3-en-us openoffice.org3-impress openoffice.org3-math
openoffice.org3-writer openoffice.org-ure

Regards,
->HS

Old 08-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 02:04:24PM -0400, H.S. wrote:
> Zaki Akhmad wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 11:58 PM, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I am tempted to try the OOo 3.0 beta deb available here:
> >> http://download.openoffice.org/3.0beta/
> >>
> >> However, I want to keep it separate from the Debian's OOo installation
> >> that I have so that I may purge the beta installation cleanly.
> >
> > I haven't try it. But you can try
> > # dpkg -i *.deb
> > to install deb package
> >

> That I know. I just wasn't sure if the beta deb will interfere with my
> Debian's OOo installation or not.

If in doubts, try it in usermodelinux/chroot/... where no Debian's OOo
was installed.

Then it is like running 2 separate installation.

http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch10.en.html#thechroot