Old 08-15-2008, 11:09 AM
"Zach Uram"

Default Chinese console fonts?

I downloaded a chinese webpage onto my remote server using wget (where
I host my webserver - running Debian 4.0) and when I view it the
Chinese haracters have been replaced with ASCII gibberish. Yet the
original Chinese page displays fine in Firefox on my local machine
(Ubuntu 6.06) and I can even see the Chinese characters in my console
in Ubuntu when I load the file in emacs. So what packages do I need to
install in Debian etch which will alow me view (and thus correctly
download and save) Chinese webpages? I do not want X fonts since the
server is only accessible via ssh and I don't run X on it.

Zach

Old 08-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 07:09:10AM -0400, Zach Uram wrote:
> I downloaded a chinese webpage onto my remote server using wget (where
> I host my webserver - running Debian 4.0) and when I view it the
> Chinese haracters have been replaced with ASCII gibberish. Yet the
> original Chinese page displays fine in Firefox on my local machine
> (Ubuntu 6.06) and I can even see the Chinese characters in my console
> in Ubuntu when I load the file in emacs. So what packages do I need to
> install in Debian etch which will alow me view (and thus correctly
> download and save) Chinese webpages? I do not want X fonts since the
> server is only accessible via ssh and I don't run X on it.

It can be done with framebuffer consoles. The only time I have seen
people using framebuffer consoles are debian-installer in Asian
languages. (fbiterm, jfbterm, zhcon)

Quite honestly, your time is better spent to set up simple X setup with
UTF-8 terminal and international fonts.

If you have special needs such as Braille for blind person, I do not
know the answer. (I do not even know how to convert text from normal
chinese to Braille friendly phonetic format.)

Osamu

Old 08-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Osamu Aoki