Old 08-14-2008, 01:08 PM
"Jesse Welling"

Default Strange problem with copy paste.

Hi all,
I'm running Debian Testing for reference. The problem I'm having seems very very suspicious to me, and please don't think this is a joke, but I think my clipboard (or whatever takes care of copy paste) has broken. No mater what I try to copy from I can only paste this http://xp-vista-update.net/?id=91873534231, which feels a lot like some kind of malware to me.* Has any one else seen this?

Jesse W.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:11 PM
"Stackpole, Chris"

[mailto:jesse.welling@gmail.com]

>Subject: Strange problem with
copy paste.

>*

>Hi all,

>I'm running Debian Testing for reference. The problem I'm having seems very
very suspicious to me, and please don't think this is a joke, but I >think
my clipboard (or whatever takes care of copy paste) has broken. No mater what I
try to copy from I can only paste this http://xp-vista->update.net/?id=91873534231,
which feels a lot like some kind of malware to me.* Has any one else seen
this?

>Jesse W.

*

*

Do you use rdesktop? If so, that is
probably your problem. I have noticed and reported this problem before. I can
only replicate it with rdesktop when I am cutting/pasting between Linux and the
Windows rdesktop session. I can copy paste within the rdesktop just fine, but
none of the copies will copy out to Gnome. Gnome just pastes the same thing
over and over again regardless of where the copy was done (or how. Eg: shortcut
keys, mouse, or menu).

*

The solution I found was to close
rdesktop, and then everything works as it should; even when you reopen
rdesktop.

*

Of course, if you are not using rdesktop
then sorry. I have never seen this problem outside of it.

*

Good luck!

Have Fun!

~S~

Old 08-14-2008, 09:58 PM
"s. keeling"

Stackpole, Chris <CStackpole@barbnet.com>:

> >From: Jesse Welling [mailto:jesse.welling@gmail.com]
> >Subject: Strange problem with copy paste.
> >
> >I'm running Debian Testing for reference. The problem I'm having
> >seems very very suspicious to me, and please don't think this is a
> >joke, but I think my clipboard (or whatever takes care of copy
> >paste) has broken. No mater what I try to copy from I can only
> >paste this http://xp-vista->update.net/?id=3D91873534231, which
> >feels a lot like = some kind of malware to me. Has any one else
> >seen this?
>
> Do you use rdesktop? If so, that is probably your problem. I have
> noticed and reported this problem before. I can only replicate it with
> rdesktop when I am cutting/pasting between Linux and the Windows
> rdesktop session. I can copy paste within the rdesktop just fine, but
> none of the copies will copy out to Gnome. Gnome just pastes the same

I've noticed oddness going on too and I'm using fluxbox (no rdesktop).
Highlight something in iceweasel, go to another tab backgrounding the
highlighted tab, try to paste into *term, doesn't work. I'm sure it
didn't used to be this way. Maybe it's a browser thing.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:53 AM
"Jesse Welling"

So apparently it was this:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1733

So any idea on the angle they are trying to attack once you go to the website?

(*) * *http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html * * *Linux Counter #80292

- - * *http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html * *Please, don't Cc: me.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:46 PM
Dave Thayer

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 10:53:46PM -0500, Jesse Welling wrote:
> So apparently it was this:
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1733
>
> So any idea on the angle they are trying to attack once you go to the
> website?

Well, I couldn't resist clicking.. (running iceweasel on Debian, what
could possibly go wrong?) You get redirected to a fake malware scan
site which, big surprise, indicates that you need to download and
install Antivirus 2009 which is a fairly well known mallware.

Cheers,

dt

--
Dave Thayer | Whenever you read a good book, it's like the
Denver, Colorado USA | author is right there, in the room talking to

Old 08-21-2008, 04:09 AM
"Jesse Welling"

Just to confirm, because my GF was the one who told me about this, she had clicked on it, but this mallware doesn't work on Linux does it?

Old 08-25-2008, 01:59 AM

From: "Jesse Welling" <jesse.welling@gmail.com>
> Hi all,
> I'm running Debian Testing for reference. The problem I'm having seems very
> very suspicious to me, and please don't think this is a joke, but I think my
> clipboard (or whatever takes care of copy paste) has broken. No mater what I
> try to copy from I can only paste this
> http://xp-vista-update.net/?id=91873534231, which feels a lot like some kind
> of malware to me. Has any one else seen this?

I have not seen this personally, but it explains why so many Windows users are
suddenly getting infected with XP Antivirus and AV2008 over the last few weeks.

Adobe Flash ads launching clipboard hijack attack:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1733

Later, Seeker

Old 08-25-2008, 02:07 AM

> From: "Jesse Welling" <jesse.welling@gmail.com>
>> Hi all,
>> I'm running Debian Testing for reference. The problem I'm having seems
>> very
>> very suspicious to me, and please don't think this is a joke, but I
>> think my
>> clipboard (or whatever takes care of copy paste) has broken. No mater
>> what I
>> try to copy from I can only paste this
>> http://xp-vista-update.net/?id=91873534231, which feels a lot like some
>> kind
>> of malware to me. Has any one else seen this?
>
> I have not seen this personally, but it explains why so many Windows users
> are
> suddenly getting infected with XP Antivirus and AV2008 over the last few
> weeks.
>
> Adobe Flash ads launching clipboard hijack attack:
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1733
>
> Later, Seeker

Not just windows, the proof of concept demo on that link works on my
linux/mozilla boxen.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:26 AM

> > I have not seen this personally, but it explains why so many Windows users
> > are
> > suddenly getting infected with XP Antivirus and AV2008 over the last few
> > weeks.
> >
> > Adobe Flash ads launching clipboard hijack attack:
> >
> > http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1733
>
> Not just windows, the proof of concept demo on that link works on my
> linux/mozilla boxen.

And that should cause some alarm bells to go off for some people who ignore
the first rule of security, 'It's never good enough' , and assume just because
they run Linux they are safe, but I doubt it will be enough to change the tune
of people who continually say it is fine to run as root and use the phrase 'I've
been doing it for years and I've never had a problem' as if it proved their claim
to be true.

Later, Seeker