Old 08-11-2008, 11:08 PM
Ray Liere

Default what does "|" mean in the output of apt-cache depends and rdepends commands?

I have installed Debian 4.0r3 (etch). I am new to Debian (but have quite
a bit of experience using linux). I do not understand the meaning of
the "|" that appears once in a while in the output of the "depends" and
"rdepends" apt-cache commands.

Examples (shortened to save space):
1. presario-laptop:~# apt-cache depends apt
apt
Depends: libc6
Depends: libgcc1
Depends: libstdc++6
Depends: debian-archive-keyring
|Suggests: aptitude
|Suggests: synaptic
|Suggests: gnome-apt
Suggests: wajig
Suggests: dpkg-dev
Suggests: apt-doc
Suggests: bzip2
Replaces: libapt-pkg-doc
Replaces: libapt-pkg-dev
presario-laptop:~#

What does "|Suggests:" mean (as opposed to just "Suggests:")?
I have also see "|Recommends:", etc.

2. presario-laptop:~# apt-cache rdepends g++
g++
Reverse Depends:
build-essential
acovea
.
.
.
gccxml
blitz++
aspectc++
apt-build
|kimwitu++
gobjc++
anjuta
.
.
.
presario-laptop:~# exit

What does "|kimwitu++" mean (as opposed to just "kimwitu++")?

Thanks for help, ideas, suggestions, URLs to docs [but I have looked!], ...

Ray Liere
lierer@agora.rdrop.com