Old 08-11-2008, 11:19 PM
Aniruddha

Default What is the best way to deal with changing device names in Debian?

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 02:11 +0300, Shachar Or wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 August 2008 02:04, Aniruddha wrote:
> > Regularly my hard disk device names change ( e.g. from sdc to sdh to sdb
> > etc). When this happens it becomes impossible to boot.
> >
> > To prevent this from happening I 've added 'disk/by id' to fstab
> > (because the disks uuid were also changing) and 'boot from uuid' to my
> > menu.lst I wonder:
>
> The UUID's belong to the filesystems, not the disks. I've never heard of them
> changing between reboots. Use the blkid command to see them. Here's my fstab:

Thanks for the help. UUID change and so do device id's (my device-id
just changed in Debian). However, last time I used UUID in my fstab was
with Gentoo. I guess I can try if they don't change with Debian.

If this doesn't work, what the best way to recover? Chrooting is a
problem since you have to use the /dev folder from the livecd which can
contain different id/uuid's then your own system making it still
impossible to boot.

Regards,

Aniruddha

Old 08-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Aniruddha

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 00:15 +0100, Robin wrote:
> 2008/8/12 Shachar Or <dawnlight@lavabit.com>:
> I used get it occasionally if I had usb mass storage device plugged in
> when the computer was booted.

This is how it started for me, now it doesn't matter if I have an usb
device plugged in or not. Udev keeps giving me random drive names :S

Maybe the problem is I have two almost identical hard drives in my pc?

Regards,

Aniruddha