Old 08-11-2008, 08:42 PM
"Mark Phillips"

Default Having Problems with apt-get update and apt-get upgrade

I just completed an apt-get update and
apt-get upgrade on my Debian lenny machine. I noticed that evolution, which is
installed on this machine, is still at version 2.10 and the latest in testing
is version 2.22. If I do an apt-get install evolution, apt wants to delete a
huge number of packages and update another long list:

54 upgraded, 34 newly installed, 22 to remove and 454 not upgraded.

Need to get 154MB of archives.

After unpacking 6995kB of additional disk space will be used.

My question is why didn't evolution get updated when I did an apt-get update
and apt-get upgrade? Aren't lenny and testing the same thing?

I don't have evolution pinned to any version in my sources.list - they are all
vanilla lenny sources:

deb http://security.debian.org/
lenny/updates main contrib non-free

deb-src http://security.debian.org/
lenny/updates main contrib non-free

deb ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/
lenny main contrib non-free

deb-src ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/
lenny main contrib non-free

# alternate sites in case kernel.org is down

deb ftp://linux.csua.berkeley.edu/debian/
lenny main contrib non-free

deb-src ftp://linux.csua.berkeley.edu/debian/
lenny main contrib non-free

deb ftp://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/debian/
lenny main contrib non-free

deb-src ftp://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/debian/
lenny main contrib non-free

# For w32codecs

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org/
lenny main

# For Cinelerra

deb http://www.kiberpipa.org/~minmax/cinelerra/builds/pentium4/
./

# for syncevolution

deb http://www.estamos.de/download/apt
stable main

My /etc/apt/preferences

Package: *

Pin release a=testing

Pin-Priority: 800

Package: *

Pin release a=stable

Pin-Priority: 600

Thanks!

Mark

*

Old 08-11-2008, 08:58 PM
"Eugene V. Lyubimkin"

Mark Phillips wrote:
> I just completed an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade on my Debian
> lenny machine. I noticed that evolution, which is installed on this
> machine, is still at version 2.10 and the latest in testing is version
> 2.22. If I do an apt-get install evolution, apt wants to delete a huge
> number of packages and update another long list:
>
> 54 upgraded, 34 newly installed, 22 to remove and 454 not upgraded.
> Need to get 154MB of archives.
> After unpacking 6995kB of additional disk space will be used.
>
> My question is why didn't evolution get updated when I did an apt-get
> update and apt-get upgrade? Aren't lenny and testing the same thing?
>
> I don't have evolution pinned to any version in my sources.list - they
> are all vanilla lenny sources:
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib non-free
>
> deb ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
> deb-src ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
>
> # alternate sites in case kernel.org is down
> deb ftp://linux.csua.berkeley.edu/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
> deb-src ftp://linux.csua.berkeley.edu/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
>
> deb ftp://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/debian/ lenny main
> contrib non-free
> deb-src ftp://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/debian/ lenny main
> contrib non-free
>
> # For w32codecs
> deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ lenny main
>
> # For Cinelerra
> deb http://www.kiberpipa.org/~minmax/cinelerra/builds/pentium4/ ./
>
> # for syncevolution
> deb http://www.estamos.de/download/apt stable main
>
> My /etc/apt/preferences
>
> Package: *
> Pin release a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 800
>
> Package: *
> Pin release a=stable
> Pin-Priority: 600
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mark

'apt-get upgrade' cannot remove any package, you should try 'dist-upgrade' then

--
Eugene V. Lyubimkin aka JackYF, Ukrainian C++ developer.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Shachar Or

On Monday 11 August 2008 23:42, Mark Phillips wrote:
> I just completed an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade on my Debian
> lenny machine. I noticed that evolution, which is installed on this
> machine, is still at version 2.10 and the latest in testing is version
> 2.22. If I do an apt-get install evolution, apt wants to delete a huge
> number of packages and update another long list:

Aptitude is the preffered package manager. You can use it's interface to get
all the information to answer many if not all of your questions.

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 08-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Mon,11.Aug.08, 16:42:39, Mark Phillips wrote:
> I just completed an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade on my Debian
> lenny machine. I noticed that evolution, which is installed on this
> machine, is still at version 2.10 and the latest in testing is version
> 2.22. If I do an apt-get install evolution, apt wants to delete a huge
> number of packages and update another long list:
>
> 54 upgraded, 34 newly installed, 22 to remove and 454 not upgraded.
> Need to get 154MB of archives.
> After unpacking 6995kB of additional disk space will be used.
>
> My question is why didn't evolution get updated when I did an apt-get
> update and apt-get upgrade? Aren't lenny and testing the same thing?

Currently yes, they are. My guess is that evolution (and probably lots
of other packages) hasn't been upgraded because you used 'upgrade'
instead of 'dist-upgrade'. Most of the times it is enough, but with
testing and unstable you sometimes have to use 'dist-upgrade'. If you
have packages on hold after 'upgrade' you should also try 'dist-upgrade'
Read the manpage apt-get(8) for the differences between the two.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)