Old 08-11-2008, 08:23 AM

Default alsa drivers

Nigel and hopefully a few others,

At Thu, 7 Aug 2008 22:43:42 +0200 Nigel Henry wrote,
"Did you try adding the 3 lines that I suggested to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base?
It would be nice to find out if the C-Media device is actually causing
snd-hda-intel to load, thus causing the conflict when booting with the usb
device plugged in."

Yes, the three lines have the same effect as keeping the
USB sound device unplugged until on-board sound is
initialized. Problem solved. Thanks!

peter@dalton:~$ tail --lines=5 /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
# These specify the card indices.
options snd-intel8x0 index=0
options snd-usb-audio index=1
options snd-hda-intel index=2

At Thu, 7 Aug 2008 22:43:42 +0200
nh> This is normal from a long time back, ...

Odd that the developers and maintainers have
ignored this problem for so long. The on-board
device should not have to be card0 to work.
Arbitrary and superfluous constraints on order
of device initialization are contrary to the
intention of USB and udev.

Thanks for all the help. I hate to think of
sorting this out without the ideas and guidance.

Regards, ... Peter E.

--
http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/
http://carnot.yi.org/ = http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/