Old 08-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Vwaju

Default can't configure networking for static IP address

My problem may sound familiar to some of you, because I have raised it
before in this forum. I still haven't solved it, so I am going to
present it again (trying to be more systematic and methodical this
time). For those of you tried to help me before: Thank you. If you
will try again, I will be very grateful for your perseverance.

I installed Debian on my Dell Dimension 4100 and, with networking
configured for DHCP, I am able to connect to the Internet, ftp, http,
etc.

I am building an internet server, so I need to reconfigure networking
to use a static IP address. I edited /etc/network/interfaces, using
the static IP address leased to me by my RCN (and the other network
parameters RCN provided).

-
I edited /etc/network/interfaces to look like this:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0

# configured for DHCP during Debian installation
# iface eth0 int dhcp

iface eth0 inet static
address 207.237.37.110
netmask 255.255.255.224
network 207.237.37.96
broadcast 207.237.37.127
gateway 207.237.37.97
-
jupiter:~# /etc/init.d/networking restart
-

I edited /etc/resolv.conf to include addresses of nameservers provided
by RCN.

search
nameserver 207.172.3.8 # ns1.dns.rcn.net
nameserver 207.172.3.9 # ns2.dns.rcn.net

-
I edited /etc/hosts to include my hostname and domain:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost jupiter

207.237.37.110 jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org jupiter
-
jupiter:~# echo jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org > /etc/hostname

jupiter:~# /bin/hostname –F /etc/hostname

jupiter:~# hostname
jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org # shouldn't this be *just* the host
name?

jupiter:~# hostname -f
jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org
Now, I test the network configuration:

jupiter:~# ping 209.200.229.100
From 207.237.37.110 icmp_seq Destination Host Unreachable
-
Relevant observation:

With the network configured for DHCP, I can run lynx:

jupiter:~# lynx ipchicken.com
Current IP Address: 207.237.37.110

(Of course, I can't run lynx with the static configuration until I get
that configuration working!)
-
Relevant observation:

With the network configured for DHCP, when I run ifconfig I get:

Inet addr: 192.168.2.3
Bcast: 192.168.2.255
Mask: 255.255.255.0
-
Full Disclosure

I am running Debian sarge, because that is the version that was used
in the book I am following to learn how to build an internet server.
I realize this raises security issues, but I am not building a
production server, only a *training* server.

More to the point: Although sarge is no longer state-of-the-art, I
assume it should still be possible to configure it as an internet
server with a static IP address!

-

Again, many thanks if you have read this far! I am grateful for any
insight the Debian community can offer on this problem.

Best Regards,
Vwaju
New York City

Old 08-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Alex Samad

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 12:48:48PM -0700, Vwaju wrote:

[snip]

> -
> I edited /etc/network/interfaces to look like this:
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The primary network interface
> auto eth0
>
> # configured for DHCP during Debian installation
> # iface eth0 int dhcp
>
> iface eth0 inet static
> address 207.237.37.110
> netmask 255.255.255.224
> network 207.237.37.96
> broadcast 207.237.37.127
> gateway 207.237.37.97

where did you get this info from ?

> -
> jupiter:~# /etc/init.d/networking restart
> -
>
> I edited /etc/resolv.conf to include addresses of nameservers provided
> by RCN.
>
> search
> nameserver 207.172.3.8 # ns1.dns.rcn.net
> nameserver 207.172.3.9 # ns2.dns.rcn.net

> -
> I edited /etc/hosts to include my hostname and domain:
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost jupiter
>
> 207.237.37.110 jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org jupiter
> -
> jupiter:~# echo jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org > /etc/hostname
>
> jupiter:~# /bin/hostname –F /etc/hostname
>
> jupiter:~# hostname
> jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org # shouldn't this be *just* the host
> name?
>
> jupiter:~# hostname -f
> jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org

my hostname produces
hufpuf

hostname -f produces
hufpuf.lan1.hme1.samad.com.au
and cat /etc/hostname
hufpuf

take it as you want

> Now, I test the network configuration:
>
> jupiter:~# ping 209.200.229.100
> From 207.237.37.110 icmp_seq Destination Host Unreachable

before doing this first ping the first hop - the default gateway from
above its

ping -c 5 207.237.37.97

if that works try the dns servers

ping -c 5 207.172.3.8

if that works try ping 209.200.229.100 again, but in another window do a
tcpdump -pni eth0 and see what happens to the packets

> -
> Relevant observation:
>
> With the network configured for DHCP, I can run lynx:
>
> jupiter:~# lynx ipchicken.com
> Current IP Address: 207.237.37.110
>
> (Of course, I can't run lynx with the static configuration until I get
> that configuration working!)
> -
> Relevant observation:
>
> With the network configured for DHCP, when I run ifconfig I get:
>
> Inet addr: 192.168.2.3
> Bcast: 192.168.2.255
> Mask: 255.255.255.0

These are non routable addresses, so my guess is you have your adsl
modem in non-bridge mode (or natting mode), it is handing out ip
addresses, the one above. If you want to handle the routeable
addressess, then put the router in bridge mode, and run pppoe on the
link box, this will cause other problems

> -
> Full Disclosure
>
> I am running Debian sarge, because that is the version that was used
> in the book I am following to learn how to build an internet server.
> I realize this raises security issues, but I am not building a
> production server, only a *training* server.
>
> More to the point: Although sarge is no longer state-of-the-art, I
> assume it should still be possible to configure it as an internet
> server with a static IP address!

> -
>
> Again, many thanks if you have read this far! I am grateful for any
> insight the Debian community can offer on this problem.
>
> Best Regards,
> Vwaju
> New York City

"You're probably wondering why somebody who has been in politics is talking about Social Security. After all, it's been called the third rail of American politics. You grab a hold of it, and you get electrified."

- George W. Bush
03/04/2005
South Bend, IN

Old 08-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Sun,10.Aug.08, 12:48:48, Vwaju wrote:

[...]

> I installed Debian on my Dell Dimension 4100 and, with networking
> configured for DHCP, I am able to connect to the Internet, ftp, http,
> etc.
>
> I am building an internet server, so I need to reconfigure networking
> to use a static IP address. I edited /etc/network/interfaces, using
> the static IP address leased to me by my RCN (and the other network
> parameters RCN provided).

[...]

> iface eth0 inet static
> address 207.237.37.110
> netmask 255.255.255.224
> network 207.237.37.96
> broadcast 207.237.37.127
> gateway 207.237.37.97

[...]

> Relevant observation:
>
> With the network configured for DHCP, when I run ifconfig I get:
>
> Inet addr: 192.168.2.3
> Bcast: 192.168.2.255
> Mask: 255.255.255.0

How is your computer *physically* connected to the internet?

(BTW, you should read on private network addresses [1] )

> Full Disclosure
>
> I am running Debian sarge, because that is the version that was used
> in the book I am following to learn how to build an internet server.
> I realize this raises security issues, but I am not building a
> production server, only a *training* server.
>
> More to the point: Although sarge is no longer state-of-the-art, I
> assume it should still be possible to configure it as an internet
> server with a static IP address!

As you've been told several times, sarge is not suited for the Big Bad
Internet. I think you can use etch instead, the differences won't be
that big and the release notes can help.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 08-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Vwaju

On Aug 10, 5:20 pm, Andrei Popescu <andreimpope...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun,10.Aug.08, 12:48:48, Vwaju wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > I installed Debian on my Dell Dimension 4100 and, with networking
> > configured for DHCP, I am able to connect to the Internet, ftp, http,
> > etc.
>
> > I am building an internet server, so I need to reconfigure networking
> > to use a static IP address. I edited /etc/network/interfaces, using
> > the static IP address leased to me by my RCN (and the other network
> > parameters RCN provided).
>
> [...]
>
> > iface eth0 inet static
> > address 207.237.37.110
> > netmask 255.255.255.224
> > network 207.237.37.96
> > broadcast 207.237.37.127
> > gateway 207.237.37.97
>
> [...]
>
> > Relevant observation:
>
> > With the network configured for DHCP, when I run ifconfig I get:
>
> > Inet addr: 192.168.2.3
> > Bcast: 192.168.2.255
> > Mask: 255.255.255.0
>
> How is your computer *physically* connected to the internet?

I have an RCN cable modem (probably proprietary and not DOCSIS
compliant) which connects to a Dell TrueMobile 2300 Wireless Broadband
Router.
The wireless router broadcasts to a Dell Inspiron 8500 running
Windows. In addition there are 2 computers connected through Ethernet
ports on the router. One of these is a Windows box, and the other is
my Debian system.

> (BTW, you should read on private network addresses [1] )

Reading it now...

> > Full Disclosure
>
> > I am running Debian sarge, because that is the version that was used
> > in the book I am following to learn how to build an internet server.
> > I realize this raises security issues, but I am not building a
> > production server, only a *training* server.
>
> > More to the point: Although sarge is no longer state-of-the-art, I
> > assume it should still be possible to configure it as an internet
> > server with a static IP address!
>
> As you've been told several times, sarge is not suited for the Big Bad
> Internet. I think you can use etch instead, the differences won't be
> that big and the release notes can help.

For someone like yourself who already knows a lot about networking,
I'm sure etch would be better.
For someone like me who knows very little, to make progress at rate
faster than glacial it helps to have a detailed guide.
It seems lucky that anyone has written such a guide (Linux System
Administration , O'Reilly, 2007) in the first place, and I suppose it
was not profitable for O'Reilly to update it for etch.
Once I've had the experience of building the server, I expect to tear
it down and use the experience to build a state-of-the-art server.
Given that this server is just a lab project (with no critical data),
what's the worst that could happen?

Thanks again, Andrei, for your insights.

Best Regards,
Vwaju
NYC1

Old 08-10-2008, 11:35 PM
Vwaju

Old 08-11-2008, 12:21 AM
Mike Bird

On Sun August 10 2008 16:35:02 Vwaju wrote:
> > > I am running Debian sarge, because that is the version that was used
> > > in the book I am following to learn how to build an internet server.
> > > I realize this raises security issues, but I am not building a
> > > production server, only a *training* server.
> > >
> > > More to the point: Although sarge is no longer state-of-the-art, I
> > > assume it should still be possible to configure it as an internet
> > > server with a static IP address!
> >
> > As you've been told several times, sarge is not suited for the Big Bad
> > Internet. I think you can use etch instead, the differences won't be
> > that big and the release notes can help.

Sarge can certainly be used on the Internet. I would be concerned about
the security of any network applications running under Sarge, but it's
OK for learning. Nevertheless, you'd be better off using Etch.

The thing about networking is that packets have to get from one end to
the other and back. That's all. It's real easy, but it's not magic.

It's seldom sufficient to configure your box and hope that will make your
network work. Does your box know how to send packets to the next box in
the network? Does the next box know how to send packets from your box
further down the line? And does the next box, when it receives packets
from further down the line, know to send those packets to your box?

For example, have you set a correct default route on your box, and have
you told the next box (your router) to send incoming/returning packets
to your box?

--Mike Bird

Old 08-11-2008, 07:38 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Sun,10.Aug.08, 16:32:41, Vwaju wrote:

> > How is your computer *physically* connected to the internet?
>
> I have an RCN cable modem (probably proprietary and not DOCSIS
> compliant) which connects to a Dell TrueMobile 2300 Wireless Broadband
> Router.
> The wireless router broadcasts to a Dell Inspiron 8500 running
> Windows. In addition there are 2 computers connected through Ethernet
> ports on the router. One of these is a Windows box, and the other is
> my Debian system.

I'm guessing at least one of the mentioned non-computer devices is doing
NAT (a traceroute to the gateway specified by your ISP should show
this).

Here are some keywords for you: NAT (network address translation) and
specifically masquerading, port-forwarding, DMZ (demilitarized zone).

Wikipedia should have enough to get you going to at least know what to
look for.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 08-11-2008, 01:56 PM
"s. keeling"

Vwaju <lou@manhattanhandyman.com>:

> Given that this server is just a lab project (with no critical data),
> what's the worst that could happen?

Perhaps some smart Russian/Chinese/... finds it and turns it into a
bot master, or starts attacking DoD systems with it, or turns it into
a clandestine p2p site bringing the MafiAA down on you. Have fun.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Alex Samad

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:58:01AM -0700, Vwaju wrote:
> On Aug 10, 5:10 pm, Alex Samad <a...@samad.com.au> wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 12:48:48PM -0700, Vwaju wrote:
> >
> Hi, Alex --
>
> For some reason, I can't get linux.debian.user to post my reply. I
> tried "Reply" twice, and my comments disappear into Tumbolia.
>
> Here is my response to your helpful observations.
>
> > > I edited /etc/network/interfaces to look like this:
> >
> > > # The loopback network interface
> > > auto lo
> > > iface lo inet loopback
> >
> > > # The primary network interface
> > > auto eth0
> >
> > > # configured for DHCP during Debian installation
> > > # iface eth0 int dhcp
> >
> > > iface eth0 inet static
> > > address 207.237.37.110
> > > netmask 255.255.255.224
> > > network 207.237.37.96
> > > broadcast 207.237.37.127
> > > gateway 207.237.37.97
> >
> > where did you get this info from ?
>
> I got this from Linux System Administration (O'Reilly, 2007).
> Virtually the same info is also available at
> http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_debian_sarge_p3

I am presuming you meant the structure and not the numbers

[snip]

> > > jupiter:~# hostname
> > > jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org
> (shouldn't this be *just* the host name?)

yep

> > > jupiter:~# hostname -f
> > > jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org
> >
> > my hostname produces
> > hufpuf
> >
> > hostname -f produces
> > hufpuf.lan1.hme1.samad.com.au
> > and cat /etc/hostname
> > hufpuf
> >
> > take it as you want
>
> How does your /etc/hosts file read?

the relevant bits
127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain

192.168.11.10 hufpuf.lan1.hme1.samad.com.au

> > > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> > > Now, I test the network configuration:
> >
> > > jupiter:~# ping 209.200.229.100
> > > From 207.237.37.110 icmp_seq Destination Host Unreachable
> > > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> >
> > before doing this first ping the first hop - the default gateway from
> > above its
> >
> > ping -c 5 207.237.37.97
>
> Yes, I can ping the gateway!
I presume this is with the 207.237.37.110 address

> > if that works try the dns servers
> >
> > ping -c 5 207.172.3.8
>
> No, I can't ping the DNS server
This is not 100% conclusive, they might only allow dns packets to these
servers

> > if that works try ping 209.200.229.100 again, but in another window do a
> > tcpdump -pni eth0 and see what happens to the packets
>
> At your suggestion, I have downloaded and installed tcpdump, but I
> think it's going to take me some study (well worth it, I'm sure) to
> learn how to use it.

tcpdump will let you look at the packets that your network card sees, in
the example above (pinging the dns server), it will tell you if you are
getting icmp packets back, or if the packets are going and not coming
back.

[snip]

> I should have mentioned that I have a broadband connection via
> Ethernet to the internet through an RCN cable modem. I suspect that
> this modem is proprietary, and not DOCSIS-compliant.
>
> I should also mention that there are 2 other Windows machines
> connected through this same modem. ipchicken.com reports that correct
> static IP address for both of them.)
>
> I should also mention that although I am paying RCN $20/month for my
> static IP address, they would only divulge the address when I took the
> matter to their "corporate escalations" department. When they finally
> gave me the IP address (and the other network parameters) they
> mentioned that my address was "not truly static" (while claiming that
> it was the same type of address that they assign to their corporate
> clients running internet servers. I don't know what "not truly
> static" means, but I don't like the sound of it. Could this be at the
> root of my problem.

talk to your isp, tell them your problem with the static ip address.

[snip]

> Thanks & Best Regards,
> Vwaju
> NYC

Good luck

--
"I mean, I read the newspaper. I mean, I can tell you what the headlines are. I must confess, if I think the story is, like, not a fair appraisal, I'll move on. But I know what the story's about."

- George W. Bush
12/12/2005
Philadelphia, PA

Old 08-12-2008, 02:32 AM