Old 08-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Luya Tshimbalanga

Default Preferences-system-users draft

New draft for this iconset based on Ambassadors icons from Fedora
Project Wiki.
Feedback welcome.

Luya

Reference:
http://luya.fedorapeople.org/echo/applications/

Old 08-11-2008, 07:59 AM
Nicu Buculei

Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:

New draft for this iconset based on Ambassadors icons from Fedora
Project Wiki.
Feedback welcome.

I feel the image is a bit unbalanced, the bodies are too high and too
thin, making them look more like bowling pins than stylized humans, so I
would make the bodies shorter and "fatter".

I would be also tempted to try much larger heads, beyond the normal
anatomic proportions, for increased cuteness
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_deformed).

Attached is a quick modification of your SVG.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:21 AM
Nicu Buculei

Nicu Buculei wrote:

Attached is a quick modification of your SVG.

Ops! One of the faces had the wrong color, corrected.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:06 AM
Luya Tshimbalanga

Using Nicu's chibi model, here is a variation of all size excluding 256x256

Luya

http://luya.fedorapeople.org/echo/applications/

Old 08-14-2008, 10:16 PM
"Luya Tshimbalanga"

With no comment about the icons, I will submit these iconset on git after fixing some blurinesses.
BTW, Nicu,* the chibi idea is good. I am considering to add some _expression_ on large* size version.

*Written from Art Direction class*
--
Luya Tshimbalanga
Fedora Project Contributor

Old 08-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Luya Tshimbalanga

Martin Sourada a écrit :
> Slightly better. To better express my comments, I edited the 22x22
> version to what I liked ;-) The changes are:
>
> * repositioning to better fit the pixel grid
> * added gradient to some borders, make them darker to increase contrast and clarity
> * redo the shadows to better fit with the rest of the isometric icons
>
> Feel free to redo the other versions in a similar way. Interestingly, I
> noticed, after darkening the borders, that the bodies look
> (subjectively) brighter after my edits :-)
>
> Martin

New update.

Luya

References
---------------

http://www.thefinalzone.net/echo/apps/preferences-system-users32d.png
http://www.thefinalzone.net/echo/apps/preferences-system-users32d.svg
http://www.thefinalzone.net/echo/apps/preferences-system-users24d.png
http://www.thefinalzone.net/echo/apps/preferences-system-users48d.png
http://www.thefinalzone.net/echo/apps/preferences-system-users48d.svg
http://www.thefinalzone.net/echo/apps/preferences-system-users256d.png
http://www.thefinalzone.net/echo/apps/preferences-system-users256d.svg

Old 08-16-2008, 10:05 PM
Martin Sourada

On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 15:16 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> With no comment about the icons, I will submit these iconset on git
> after fixing some blurinesses.
> BTW, Nicu, the chibi idea is good. I am considering to add some
> expression on large size version.
>
> *Written from Art Direction class*

Seems you haven't pushed it yet Some comments (I was off-line since
last Saturday so I apologize for the late reply):

* The first version you sent looks strange, seems like the figures are
way too thin
* The second version suffers the same issue, also the bodies seem not
symmetric, the bodies seem too small compared to heads
* I like the Nicu's version the most, as it looks balanced, symmetric
and nicely covers the available space
* I think that when the bodies are are separated by empty space the
icon looks cluttered. Nicu placed them in a similar way as is done in
the current icon which is IMHO better.
* What about using different colours for bodies? Perhaps blue+green?

Martin

Old 08-17-2008, 05:30 AM
Luya Tshimbalanga

Martin Sourada a écrit*:

Seems you haven't pushed it yet Some comments (I was off-line since
last Saturday so I apologize for the late reply):

* The first version you sent looks strange, seems like the figures are
way too thin
* The second version suffers the same issue, also the bodies seem not
symmetric, the bodies seem too small compared to heads
* I like the Nicu's version the most, as it looks balanced, symmetric
and nicely covers the available space
* I think that when the bodies are are separated by empty space the
icon looks cluttered. Nicu placed them in a similar way as is done in
the current icon which is IMHO better.
* What about using different colours for bodies? Perhaps blue+green?

Martin

Here are the modifications to close match Nicu's version. Note that
256x256

version is not included.

Luya

http://www.thefinalzone.net/echo/apps/preferences-system-users16b.png

http://www.thefinalzone.net/echo/apps/preferences-system-users16b.svg

http://www.thefinalzone.net/echo/apps/preferences-system-users22b.png

http://www.thefinalzone.net/echo/apps/preferences-system-users22b.svg

http://www.thefinalzone.net/echo/apps/preferences-system-users24b.png

http://www.thefinalzone.net/echo/apps/preferences-system-users32b.png

http://www.thefinalzone.net/echo/apps/preferences-system-users32b.svg

http://www.thefinalzone.net/echo/apps/preferences-system-users48b.png

http://www.thefinalzone.net/echo/apps/preferences-system-users48b.svg

Old 08-17-2008, 07:48 AM
Martin Sourada

On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 22:30 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> Here are the modifications to close match Nicu's version. Note that
> 256x256
> version is not included.
>
> Luya

Looking good. Perhaps the 22x22/24x24 might need more contrast between
border and fills to better distinguish the two figures. One another
thing that needs improvement is the shadow. In 22x22/24x24 one it's for
some reason misrendered, but I'd change it for other sizes as well -
having one blurry semi-transparent ellipse per each (not one for both
them) seems better to me. Perhaps you could also make use of radial
gradient to make the shadow even better. Or maybe you could try similar
kind of shadow that is used in the trash icon - i.e. slightly drop the
shadow behind the figures (as is usual with most 'isometric' icons).

Martin

Old 08-17-2008, 10:20 AM
"Luya Tshimbalanga"

2008/8/17 Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com>

Looking good. Perhaps the 22x22/24x24 might need more contrast between

border and fills to better distinguish the two figures. One another

thing that needs improvement is the shadow. In 22x22/24x24 one it's for

some reason misrendered, but I'd change it for other sizes as well -

having one blurry semi-transparent ellipse per each (not one for both

them) seems better to me. Perhaps you could also make use of radial

gradient to make the shadow even better. Or maybe you could try similar

kind of shadow that is used in the trash icon - i.e. slightly drop the

shadow behind the figures (as is usual with most 'isometric' icons).

New version:

http://www.thefinalzone.net/echo/apps/preferences-system-users22c.png

http://www.thefinalzone.net/echo/apps/preferences-system-users22c.svg

http://www.thefinalzone.net/echo/apps/preferences-system-users24c.png