FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-10-2008, 02:06 AM
"Javier Vasquez"
 
Default Debian + non ose virtualBox

Hi all,

I installed the non ose virtualBox, and I got a XP image running under
it with bridged ethernet. However I haven't been able to get USB
working on the guest, neither shared folders...

I've searched with google, and found several suggestions (often about
the permissions of the usbfs devices), and I tried almost everything
unsuccessfully (most suggestions for ubuntu btw), + I also read the
user Manual. Is there a debian guide to get USB and share directory
working...

Thanks,

--
Javier


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 08-10-2008, 07:20 AM
Nyizsnyik Ferenc
 
Default Debian + non ose virtualBox

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 20:06:20 -0600
"Javier Vasquez" <jevv.cr@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I installed the non ose virtualBox, and I got a XP image running under
> it with bridged ethernet. However I haven't been able to get USB
> working on the guest, neither shared folders...
>
> I've searched with google, and found several suggestions (often about
> the permissions of the usbfs devices), and I tried almost everything
> unsuccessfully (most suggestions for ubuntu btw), + I also read the
> user Manual. Is there a debian guide to get USB and share directory
> working...
>
> Thanks,
>

Have you installed Virtualbox Guest Additions in the guest OS (win xp)?

--
Nyizsa.
http://nyizsa.uni.cc


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 08-10-2008, 03:59 PM
"Javier Vasquez"
 
Default Debian + non ose virtualBox

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 1:20 AM, Nyizsnyik Ferenc <nyizsa@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 20:06:20 -0600
> "Javier Vasquez" <jevv.cr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I installed the non ose virtualBox, and I got a XP image running under
>> it with bridged ethernet. However I haven't been able to get USB
>> working on the guest, neither shared folders...
>>
>> I've searched with google, and found several suggestions (often about
>> the permissions of the usbfs devices), and I tried almost everything
>> unsuccessfully (most suggestions for ubuntu btw), + I also read the
>> user Manual. Is there a debian guide to get USB and share directory
>> working...
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>
> Have you installed Virtualbox Guest Additions in the guest OS (win xp)?
>
> --
> Nyizsa.


Yes I did. I can see in the devices tab of virtualbox the usb
devices, but they're always grayed... I also included filters
(automatically picked BTW by virtualbox), but that doesn't help a
thing. And for the shared folders, I see in the shared folders tab as
well the directory, but when I go in the guest to the network places,
and go into VirtualBox shared folders, there's nothing... I'm not
sure if there's something that needs explicetely to be done, but if
there is, I just can't find it, ...

Thanks,

--
Javier


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 08-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Wackojacko
 
Default Debian + non ose virtualBox

Javier Vasquez wrote:

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 1:20 AM, Nyizsnyik Ferenc <nyizsa@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 20:06:20 -0600
"Javier Vasquez" <jevv.cr@gmail.com> wrote:


Hi all,

I installed the non ose virtualBox, and I got a XP image running under
it with bridged ethernet. However I haven't been able to get USB
working on the guest, neither shared folders...

I've searched with google, and found several suggestions (often about
the permissions of the usbfs devices), and I tried almost everything
unsuccessfully (most suggestions for ubuntu btw), + I also read the
user Manual. Is there a debian guide to get USB and share directory
working...

Thanks,


Have you installed Virtualbox Guest Additions in the guest OS (win xp)?

--
Nyizsa.



Yes I did. I can see in the devices tab of virtualbox the usb
devices, but they're always grayed... I also included filters
(automatically picked BTW by virtualbox), but that doesn't help a
thing. And for the shared folders, I see in the shared folders tab as
well the directory, but when I go in the guest to the network places,
and go into VirtualBox shared folders, there's nothing... I'm not
sure if there's something that needs explicetely to be done, but if
there is, I just can't find it, ...

Thanks,



I had a similar problem and google led me to the same conclusions re
usbfs without much luck. Debian seems to mount usbfs as standard (check
with #mount).


The solution for me was the Guest Additions was not installed in the
Guest OS. So just to make sure have you checked to see if the icon is
displayed in the taskbar in the guest OS. Can you seamlessly use your
mouse in the guest display or do you have to click r-ctrl? Sorry to
repeat the same advice as previous poster but this really was the
solution for me!


HTH

Wackojacko


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 08-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Shachar Or
 
Default Debian + non ose virtualBox

On Monday 11 August 2008 21:04, Wackojacko wrote:
> Javier Vasquez wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 1:20 AM, Nyizsnyik Ferenc <nyizsa@gmail.com>
wrote:
> >> On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 20:06:20 -0600
> >>
> >> "Javier Vasquez" <jevv.cr@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>> Hi all,
> >>>
> >>> I installed the non ose virtualBox, and I got a XP image running under
> >>> it with bridged ethernet. However I haven't been able to get USB
> >>> working on the guest, neither shared folders...
> >>>
> >>> I've searched with google, and found several suggestions (often about
> >>> the permissions of the usbfs devices), and I tried almost everything
> >>> unsuccessfully (most suggestions for ubuntu btw), + I also read the
> >>> user Manual. Is there a debian guide to get USB and share directory
> >>> working...
> >>>
> >>> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Have you installed Virtualbox Guest Additions in the guest OS (win xp)?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Nyizsa.
> >
> > Yes I did. I can see in the devices tab of virtualbox the usb
> > devices, but they're always grayed... I also included filters
> > (automatically picked BTW by virtualbox), but that doesn't help a
> > thing. And for the shared folders, I see in the shared folders tab as
> > well the directory, but when I go in the guest to the network places,
> > and go into VirtualBox shared folders, there's nothing... I'm not
> > sure if there's something that needs explicetely to be done, but if
> > there is, I just can't find it, ...
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> I had a similar problem and google led me to the same conclusions re
> usbfs without much luck. Debian seems to mount usbfs as standard (check
> with #mount).
>
> The solution for me was the Guest Additions was not installed in the
> Guest OS. So just to make sure have you checked to see if the icon is
> displayed in the taskbar in the guest OS. Can you seamlessly use your
> mouse in the guest display or do you have to click r-ctrl? Sorry to
> repeat the same advice as previous poster but this really was the
> solution for me!
>
> HTH
>
> Wackojacko

This reminds me that I had a problem with shared folders that I solved by
reinstalling the guest additions over and over again until it
worked. ... ... :/

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 08-12-2008, 07:48 AM
Philipp Hbner
 
Default Debian + non ose virtualBox

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hey,

Javier Vasquez schrieb:
> Yes I did. I can see in the devices tab of virtualbox the usb
> devices, but they're always grayed... I also included filters
> (automatically picked BTW by virtualbox), but that doesn't help a
> thing.


I think the problem are the rights within /proc/bus/usb/ or similar.
When I wanted to use USB in the guest, I had to 'chown -R a+rw/ the
folder to get it working.
There might be a better way to get this done, because I think this might
be a security risk, but at least it worked for me.

Regards,
Philipp

PS: I found this information on the web some time ago.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEUEARECAAYFAkihQFEACgkQFhl05MJZ4OipHQCeJhxL0jm8g7 RGNPCcB8vWhTeQ
qloAmOzmszorw4Wf32BiYZK7BOiQTmA=
=dD6v
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 08-14-2008, 03:32 PM
"Javier Vasquez"
 
Default Debian + non ose virtualBox

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 1:48 AM, Philipp Hbner <debalance@arcor.de> wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Hey,
>
> Javier Vasquez schrieb:
>> Yes I did. I can see in the devices tab of virtualbox the usb
>> devices, but they're always grayed... I also included filters
>> (automatically picked BTW by virtualbox), but that doesn't help a
>> thing.
>
>
> I think the problem are the rights within /proc/bus/usb/ or similar.
> When I wanted to use USB in the guest, I had to 'chown -R a+rw/ the
> folder to get it working.
> There might be a better way to get this done, because I think this might
> be a security risk, but at least it worked for me.
>
> Regards,
> Philipp

This did the trick for USB devices... But I don't know why modifying
/etc/udev/rules.d/91-permissions.rules so that the devices are loaded
as:

# usbfs-like devices
SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", MODE="0664", GROUP="usbusers"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device",
MODE="0664", GROUP="usbusers"

Where the user starting virtualBox is included in usbusers, didn't
work. I made variants, like using vboxusers, and changing 664 to 666,
and nothing worked... Like this rule never took place, ...

At least now there's a way to make USB devices available under the
guest, . Bad thing is that virtualBox need to be launched after the
permissions are OK, otherwise it won't ever recognize the device,
meaning, dynamic plugging the USB devices is NOT supported...

Finally, I'm still missing folders sharing. This one id kind of
weird, since it's supposed I should get it easy with the guest
additions software...

Thanks,

--
Javier


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:01 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org