Old 08-10-2008, 12:49 AM
David Witbrodt

Default don't really need cpp-3.4, do I?

> However, I would like to keep this version of gcc. cpp-3.4 appears to be
> just the pre-processor. I supposed I can remove this and still be able
> to use the 3.4 gcc compiler (I want to retain libg2c0 as well). Do I
> understand this right?

Sure, if you want to program in C without ever using any header files
with #include. [No programs with printf(), scanf(), or any other
useful library functions that you are probably taking for granted.]

In short, you do NOT understand that right.

Looking here,

http://packages.debian.org/lenny/cpp-3.4

it would seem that you should be having 3.4.6-8 show up in your
package manager. If not, consider switching to a different mirror
in /etc/apt/sources.list.

HTH,
Dave W.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:54 AM
"H.S."

David Witbrodt wrote:

However, I would like to keep this version of gcc. cpp-3.4 appears to be
just the pre-processor. I supposed I can remove this and still be able
to use the 3.4 gcc compiler (I want to retain libg2c0 as well). Do I
understand this right?

Sure, if you want to program in C without ever using any header files
with #include. [No programs with printf(), scanf(), or any other
useful library functions that you are probably taking for granted.]

In short, you do NOT understand that right.

Yeah, I read more about these packages and that cleared that up. Thanks
for the info through.

Looking here,

http://packages.debian.org/lenny/cpp-3.4

it would seem that you should be having 3.4.6-8 show up in your
package manager. If not, consider switching to a different mirror
in /etc/apt/sources.list.

I am not sure yet, I use some FORTRAN libraries for which I need the
libg2c0 package. That package appears to be marked for removal with the
new gcc version. But I see your point, I will have to look at all the
factors before letting the older gcc packages to be upgraded.

->HS

HTH,
Dave W.