Old 08-10-2008, 12:23 AM
"H.S."

Default why can't I update libg2c0

H.S. wrote:
For the last many weeks, when I want to upgrade my Debian Testing
computer, aptitude keeps telling me that:

libg2c0-dev: Depends: gcc-3.4-base (= 3.4.6-6) but 3.4.6-8 is to be
installed.
libg2c0: Depends: gcc-3.4-base (= 3.4.6-6) but 3.4.6-8 is to be
installed.

Remove the following packages:
cpp-3.4

hmm ... just took another look at the package descriptions. It seems
that the problem is libg2c0. How come this still depends on an older
version of gcc-3.4.6? I link some of my programs with some FORTRAN
libraries and need libg2c0. So for now I have been keeping gcc-3.4 at
its older version during every upgrade. So, what's the deal with libg2c0?

thanks,
->HS

Old 08-10-2008, 01:16 AM
David Witbrodt

> hmm ... just took another look at the package descriptions. It seems
> that the problem is libg2c0. How come this still depends on an older
> version of gcc-3.4.6? I link some of my programs with some FORTRAN
> libraries and need libg2c0. So for now I have been keeping gcc-3.4 at
> its older version during every upgrade. So, what's the deal with libg2c0?

Looks like support for the old legacy compilers is reaching its end of
life:

You might consider transitioning to something newer, if possible.

DW

Old 08-10-2008, 03:44 AM
"H.S."

David Witbrodt wrote:

hmm ... just took another look at the package descriptions. It seems
that the problem is libg2c0. How come this still depends on an older
version of gcc-3.4.6? I link some of my programs with some FORTRAN
libraries and need libg2c0. So for now I have been keeping gcc-3.4 at
its older version during every upgrade. So, what's the deal with libg2c0?

Looks like support for the old legacy compilers is reaching its end of
life:

You might consider transitioning to something newer, if possible.

Ah, right. I went over the bug report and I must say the original
submitter has a valid point.

I am currently using this compiler to interface my C++ code with some
FORTRAN libraries which I compile only occasionally. Looks like using
gfortran for that might possible give problems or be noisy.

So, based no this, I am going to hold gcc-3.4.6 for now.

Thanks for the pointer, it cleared up my aptitude doubts perfectly.

->HS