Old 08-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Nicolas FRANCOIS

Default Problems with an "old" nvidia 6100 GO

Hi.

I have a laptop with the above mentioned GC, and have two big problems
with it :

1) if I use the proprietary driver (the "nvidia" one), when I boot, I see
a black screen. X (and gdm) starts OK, no mention of any error in the
Xorg.0.log file, but the screen is black. I can switch to a console (the
first I switch to goes red, but after another switch, it's OK), I can
even blindly login from the X console, but that's not what I would dream
of since the screen stays black !

2) if I use the free driver (the "nv" one), everything is fine... except
I don't have ANY access to OpenGL ! All applications requiring OpenGL
fail : games, blender... Kpovmodeler starts, but the graphic widgets show
an error message.

Can you help me on one of those two problems at least ?

Thanks.

ye

--

Nicolas FRANCOIS | /
http://nicolas.francois.free.fr | |__|

Old 08-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Paul Cartwright

On Sat August 9 2008, Nicolas FRANCOIS wrote:
> 2) if I use the free driver (the "nv" one), everything is fine... except
> I don't have ANY access to OpenGL ! All applications requiring OpenGL
> fail : games, blender... Kpovmodeler starts, but the graphic widgets show
> an error message.
>
> Can you help me on one of those two problems at least ?
>
> Thanks.

I used this script, it makes it very easy..
just run ( from a alt-F1 terminal session)
#sgfxi -c

once you have the right apps installed.

http://blog.creonfx.com/linux/how-to-install-nvidia-driver-on-2625-2-debian-kernel-with-xen

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 08-10-2008, 03:17 AM
Nicolas FRANCOIS

Le Sat, 9 Aug 2008 07:57:48 -0400 Paul Cartwright <ale@pcartwright.com> a
écrit :

> On Sat August 9 2008, Nicolas FRANCOIS wrote:
> > 2) if I use the free driver (the "nv" one), everything is fine... except
> > I don't have ANY access to OpenGL ! All applications requiring OpenGL
> > fail : games, blender... Kpovmodeler starts, but the graphic widgets show
> > an error message.
> >
> > Can you help me on one of those two problems at least ?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> I used this script, it makes it very easy..
> just run ( from a alt-F1 terminal session)
> #sgfxi -c
>
> once you have the right apps installed.
>
> http://blog.creonfx.com/linux/how-to-install-nvidia-driver-on-2625-2-debian-kernel-with-xen

That did the trick ! Thanks :-)

The script seems to add a few option (besides installing the driver) to
the xorg.conf file, in the driver section. I don't remember those
options, because I'm not on my laptop now.

But thank you again, I'm going on vacation with a light heart (don't know
if you can say that in english ?!?)

ye

PS1 : one question remains : is this 100% Debian-proof, and what has to be
done if a new kernel arises in the updates ?

PS2 : and BTW, that's two questions !

Old 08-10-2008, 12:45 PM
Paul Cartwright

On Sat August 9 2008, Nicolas FRANCOIS wrote:
> The script seems to add a few option (besides installing the driver) to
> the xorg.conf file, in the driver section. I don't remember those
> options, because I'm not on my laptop now.

on the box, you will probably find it saved the old xorg. If you sort them by
time/date ( ls -ltr ) the newest files will be at the bottom of the list.
you can compare them that way. Either reading them, or doing a diff.

> But thank you again, I'm going on vacation with a light heart (don't know
> if you can say that in english ?!?)

Merci Beaucoup!

> ye
>
> PS1 : one question remains : is this 100% Debian-proof, and what has to be
> done if a new kernel arises in the updates ?

with a new kernel, just rerun sgfxi -c .. I just did it yesterday