Old 08-09-2008, 07:46 AM
Ron Johnson

Default New Debian Install Blackscreen

On 08/09/08 00:32, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
[snip]

there are several ways to go about this. What you need to do first,
I think, is find out which video driver is trying to run that
card. Realise that the 8xxx series cards are having lots of trouble
with the nvidia drivers. I've given up on getting decent 2d
performance for now and moved back to the nv driver. But that's
another story.

I think that's because they don't have internal frame buffers, but
are strongly tuned towards DX10 performance.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Scientists are people, too. IOW, they also "crave power, money,
respect, and influence, and they also fear for their jobs. Each
can be a healthy motivator, but each has the ability to turn a
good scientist into a bad one; and in some cases, they can turn
a good scientist into a charlatan."
http://thefutureofthings.com/book/3/the-bomb-that-never-was.html

Old 08-09-2008, 08:20 AM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Sat, Aug 09, 2008 at 02:46:44AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 08/09/08 00:32, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> there are several ways to go about this. What you need to do first,
>> I think, is find out which video driver is trying to run that
>> card. Realise that the 8xxx series cards are having lots of trouble
>> with the nvidia drivers. I've given up on getting decent 2d
>> performance for now and moved back to the nv driver. But that's
>> another story.
>
> I think that's because they don't have internal frame buffers, but are
> strongly tuned towards DX10 performance.

I wouldn't know about that. The nvnews thread about sucky drivers for
the 8xxx cards is quite long now. Some people seem to be getting
improved performance out of 177 beta, but some people seem to be
getting no improvement at all.

I was playing around with fun stuff... compositing and so forth but
have subsequently given up... just a distraction anyway. I honestly
thought that nv wouldn't do xrandr and dual head. I was wrong. I'm
happy now. I've turned off all the glitzy stuff and gotten back to
work.

I suppose nouveau might fix some of that. When they claim even
rudimentary support for the series, I'll try it out.

I sort of regret buying the card. I knew there were problems with it,
but figured it wouldn't be that big a deal and the fix would be out
sooner or later. shrug.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:52 AM
Richard Möhn

On Sat, Aug 09, 2008 at 01:08:37AM -0500, Mumia W.. wrote:
> On 08/08/2008 09:57 PM, Taahir wrote:
> >I am a fairly new linux user, and have recently installed Debian on its
> >own hard
> >disk in what will eventually become a dual-boot system. The Windows drive
> >is
> >currently not connected, so that isn't a factor. My graphics card is an
> >nvidia
> >8800 gts.
> >
> >My problem is that when I start up Debian, I get the initialization
> >screen, which
> >runs fully, and disappears just after GNOME starts up. I then get what I
> >think
> >is a password-prompt beep from the motherboard, but the monitor remains
> >off,
> >which is how it normally handles being given an incorrect resolution.
> >
> >I can, however, successfully log into the single-user root option that
> >grub gives
> >me, and get a fully functioning terminal. My question is how to go about
> >setting
> >GNOME into VGA (or some low resolution) through the terminal.
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >

> Go into a virtual console by doing Control-Alt-F2 on the keyboard. You
> should get a text mode screen that will allow you to log in. After
> you've logged in, you can edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to use another driver,
> e.g. "vesa". First copy xorg.conf to a backup file:
>
> cd /etc/X11
> cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.bak
>
> You didn't say what distribution of Debian you're using, but what you do
> to xorg.conf differs with the distribution.

I don't think, that this will work. I had the same problem and the
only possibility to log in was in the single-user-mode.

If you are running etch, it is possible to configure the graphic
settings with
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
I think.
With the more unstable distributions you have to edit the
/etc/X11/xorg.configure.

Nice greetings

Richard