Old 08-09-2008, 02:57 AM
"Taahir"

Default New Debian Install Blackscreen

I am a fairly new linux user, and have recently installed Debian on its own hard
disk in what will eventually become a dual-boot system. The Windows drive is
currently not connected, so that isn't a factor. My graphics card is an nvidia
8800 gts.

My problem is that when I start up Debian, I get the initialization screen, which
runs fully, and disappears just after GNOME starts up. I then get what I think
is a password-prompt beep from the motherboard, but the monitor remains off,
which is how it normally handles being given an incorrect resolution.

I can, however, successfully log into the single-user root option that grub gives
me, and get a fully functioning terminal. My question is how to go about setting
GNOME into VGA (or some low resolution) through the terminal.

Thanks in advance,

Taahir
---- Msg sent via Internet America Webmail - www.internetamerica.com

Old 08-09-2008, 05:32 AM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 09:57:44PM -0500, Taahir wrote:

> I am a fairly new linux user, and have recently installed Debian on its own hard
> disk in what will eventually become a dual-boot system. The Windows drive is
> currently not connected, so that isn't a factor. My graphics card is an nvidia
> 8800 gts.
>
> My problem is that when I start up Debian, I get the initialization screen, which
> runs fully, and disappears just after GNOME starts up. I then get what I think
> is a password-prompt beep from the motherboard, but the monitor remains off,
> which is how it normally handles being given an incorrect resolution.
>
> I can, however, successfully log into the single-user root option that grub gives
> me, and get a fully functioning terminal. My question is how to go about setting
> GNOME into VGA (or some low resolution) through the terminal.

there are several ways to go about this. What you need to do first,
I think, is find out which video driver is trying to run that
card. Realise that the 8xxx series cards are having lots of trouble
with the nvidia drivers. I've given up on getting decent 2d
performance for now and moved back to the nv driver. But that's
another story.

Look through the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file and look for which driver is
being used. It will be in square brackets and show up at the beginning
of the lines beginning about 1/4 of the way into the file. Probably
you are getting the nv driver. As a starting point, you might try a
different driver. If you are using nv, try vesa and vice versa. You
can change drivers by editing the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. The driver
is specified in the "Device" section

Section "Device"
Driver "nv"
EndSection

if there is no Device section, then add one.

If that doesn't get you going, then your /var/log/Xorg.0.log
and your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file back to the list.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:08 AM
"Mumia W.."

I am a fairly new linux user, and have recently installed Debian on its own hard
disk in what will eventually become a dual-boot system. The Windows drive is
currently not connected, so that isn't a factor. My graphics card is an nvidia
8800 gts.

My problem is that when I start up Debian, I get the initialization screen, which
runs fully, and disappears just after GNOME starts up. I then get what I think
is a password-prompt beep from the motherboard, but the monitor remains off,
which is how it normally handles being given an incorrect resolution.

I can, however, successfully log into the single-user root option that grub gives
me, and get a fully functioning terminal. My question is how to go about setting
GNOME into VGA (or some low resolution) through the terminal.

Thanks in advance,

Go into a virtual console by doing Control-Alt-F2 on the keyboard. You
should get a text mode screen that will allow you to log in. After
you've logged in, you can edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to use another driver,
e.g. "vesa". First copy xorg.conf to a backup file:

cd /etc/X11
cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.bak

You didn't say what distribution of Debian you're using, but what you do
to xorg.conf differs with the distribution.