Old 08-08-2008, 02:11 PM
"arTHUr Ting"

Default problem when install lenny

Hi, guys,
My notebook is Lenovo X61 and I' installing lenny by using the network-install kernel. now the problem is that the installer can find any hard drives on my box. i tried ftp.us.debian.org and ftp.tw.us.debian.org and ftp.jp.debian.org and many other sources, but all doesn't work. But last week i succeed install lenny with ftp.us.debian.org to a same x61 notebook. Does the apt sources meet some problem?

thanks,
tengcy

Old 08-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Johannes Wiedersich

On 08/08/2008 04:11 PM, arTHUr Ting wrote:
> Hi, guys,
> My notebook is Lenovo X61 and I' installing lenny by using the
> network-install kernel. now the problem is that the installer can find any
> hard drives on my box. i tried ftp.us.debian.org and ftp.tw.us.debian.organd
> ftp.jp.debian.org and many other sources, but all doesn't work. But last
> week i succeed install lenny with ftp.us.debian.org to a same x61 notebook.
> Does the apt sources meet some problem?

No. It's something different. You'd partition your disks before
installing other software from the archive.

Far shot: Is there a BIOS password set for your hard disk?

Otherwise it might be a problem with the *version* of the installer.
I've just installed lenny on my T60 without problems.

Which iso did you use? Please give the url.

How far did you get in your installation process? Please tell, when and
how exactly the problem occurs.

Thanks, HTH,

Johannes

Old 08-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Johannes Wiedersich

[please keep the discussion on list, so that others who might know
better can contribute and others can learn as well. ]

On 08/08/2008 04:36 PM, arTHUr Ting wrote:
> thanks for your reply!
>
> 2008/8/8 Johannes Wiedersich <johannes@physik.blm.tu-muenchen.de>
> The installer can't find my hard drive just before the partition step
> ;(
>

>> Far shot: Is there a BIOS password set for your hard disk?
>
> No password, It's a new notebook.

[snip]

>> Which iso did you use? Please give the url.
>>
> I didnot use a iso. I use the network-install kernel(linux and
> initrd.gz) downloaded from
> ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/debian-installer/i386/
> and boot by a grub installed on usb-harddrive. i also tried amd64 kernel,
> downnot work neither.
>
>> How far did you get in your installation process? Please tell, when
>> and how exactly the problem occurs.
>
> After configured the network(i use dhcp) and before disk partition.

Maybe you ran into [1] (I can't tell).
All I can suggest for the moment is to follow the instructions in [2]
(as you probably did) and to try out this link:

http://people.debian.org/~joeyh/d-i/images/daily/hd-media/

which has more recent versions of the installer.

HTH, good luck!

Johannes

[2] http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch04s04.html