Old 08-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Marcelo Chiapparini

Default local network problem

Hello!

I am running etch at home in two machines: a desktop and a laptop. Both
are connected to the web trough a switch witch is connected to a modem.
Both machines work fine regarding the internet. I want to
connect both in a lan configuration. For this purpose I installed samba
in both machines, and created a folder in each machine which can be
shared trough the network. Now the desktop see itself in the network but
doesn't see the laptop. The laptop see the desktop but doesn't see
itself. It appears that the laptop is invisible in the network. What
could be wrong with the laptop configuration?

Thanks in advance

Marcelo

--
Marcelo Chiapparini

Old 08-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 09:56:40AM -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am running etch at home in two machines: a desktop and a laptop. Both
> are connected to the web trough a switch witch is connected to a modem.
> Both machines work fine regarding the internet. I want to
> connect both in a lan configuration. For this purpose I installed samba
> in both machines, and created a folder in each machine which can be
> shared trough the network. Now the desktop see itself in the network but
> doesn't see the laptop. The laptop see the desktop but doesn't see
> itself. It appears that the laptop is invisible in the network. What
> could be wrong with the laptop configuration?

It's been a *long* time since I've done samba, so my first step would
be to compare the two samba configs to make sure there are
appropriately similar. And is samba actually running on the laptop? If
you don't start it, it won't share.

Out of curiousity, since they're both debian machines, why not use
nfs?

Old 08-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Marcelo Chiapparini

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

I am running etch at home in two machines: a desktop and a laptop. Both
are connected to the web trough a switch witch is connected to a modem.
Both machines work fine regarding the internet. I want to
connect both in a lan configuration. For this purpose I installed samba
in both machines, and created a folder in each machine which can be
shared trough the network. Now the desktop see itself in the network but
doesn't see the laptop. The laptop see the desktop but doesn't see
itself. It appears that the laptop is invisible in the network. What
could be wrong with the laptop configuration?

Thank you very much for your answer Andrew,

It's been a *long* time since I've done samba, so my first step would
be to compare the two samba configs to make sure there are
appropriately similar.

they are identical

And is samba actually running on the laptop? If
you don't start it, it won't share.

yes, the samba daemon is running.

Out of curiousity, since they're both debian machines, why not use
nfs?

because I wanted to give samba a try. On the other side, in order to use
nfs do I need to set one the machines as a nfs server and the other one
as a nfs client? I read that a nfs server is quite involved to set up...

Regards

Marcelo

--
Marcelo Chiapparini

Old 08-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 04:24:17PM -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 09:56:40AM -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I am running etch at home in two machines: a desktop and a laptop. Both
>>> are connected to the web trough a switch witch is connected to a modem.
>>> Both machines work fine regarding the internet. I want to
>>> connect both in a lan configuration. For this purpose I installed
>>> samba in both machines, and created a folder in each machine which
>>> can be shared trough the network. Now the desktop see itself in the
>>> network but doesn't see the laptop. The laptop see the desktop but
>>> doesn't see itself. It appears that the laptop is invisible in the
>>> network. What could be wrong with the laptop configuration?
>
> Thank you very much for your answer Andrew,
>
>> It's been a *long* time since I've done samba, so my first step would
>> be to compare the two samba configs to make sure there are
>> appropriately similar.
>
> they are identical

well, it's hard to say from this vantage what the problem is with the
laptop. If the laptop cannot even see itself, then there is something
wrong with the configuration. Perhaps it is a permissions issue on the
shared directory?

Is there any log output regarding samba or smb on the laptop?

> And is samba actually running on the laptop? If
>> you don't start it, it won't share.
>
> yes, the samba daemon is running.
>
>> Out of curiousity, since they're both debian machines, why not use
>> nfs?
>
> because I wanted to give samba a try. On the other side, in order to use
> nfs do I need to set one the machines as a nfs server and the other one
> as a nfs client? I read that a nfs server is quite involved to set up...

I'm all in support of learning samba for no other reason to learn it.

You can setup both machines as nfs servers and it's ridiculously
easy.

aptitude install nfs-kernel-server

edit /etc/exports with appropriate lines, such as:

/path/to/shared/directory 192.168.1.0/24(rw)

note that you could use all sorts of combinations of addresses,
subnets, hostnames etc, see man exports.

then:

/etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart

then on the client machine you mount the remote share as follows:

mount remote_host_name:/path/to/shared/directory/ /local/mount/point

and you're done.

read the manuals... it can be *much* more sophisticated than that, but
it can also, for your secured network, be incredibly simple.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Johannes Wiedersich

On 08/08/2008 09:24 PM, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
>>> network. What could be wrong with the laptop configuration?

Firewall???
-- just a guess.

>> Out of curiousity, since they're both debian machines, why not use
>> nfs?
>
> because I wanted to give samba a try. On the other side, in order to use
> nfs do I need to set one the machines as a nfs server and the other one
> as a nfs client? I read that a nfs server is quite involved to set up...

What do you mean by involved? Involved compared to a samba server? I
guess not...

I'd say that the set-up of a nfs server is much less of a hassle than
a samba server...

Cheers, Johannes

Old 08-08-2008, 11:53 PM
Bob McGowan

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

I am running etch at home in two machines: a desktop and a laptop. Both
are connected to the web trough a switch witch is connected to a modem.
Both machines work fine regarding the internet. I want to
connect both in a lan configuration. For this purpose I installed
samba in both machines, and created a folder in each machine which
can be shared trough the network. Now the desktop see itself in the
network but doesn't see the laptop. The laptop see the desktop but
doesn't see itself. It appears that the laptop is invisible in the
network. What could be wrong with the laptop configuration?

Thank you very much for your answer Andrew,

<< NFS discussion deleted >>

This sounds like it could be a firewall problem, perhaps the laptop has
blocked the ports used by Samba?

--
Bob McGowan

Old 08-09-2008, 01:34 AM
Marcelo Chiapparini

[...]

Andrew,

thank you very much for your tips regarding nfs installation. By sure, I
will try it!

With respect to samba, well, I discovered that the samba installation in
the laptop was broken in some way. I discovered it when I tried to
reinstall samba and got an error message. After a googling a bit with
the error message, I was able to find the solution for the problem and
reinstall samba. Now everything is fine with both machines, they see
each one in the network.

Thank you again for your support

Regards

Marcelo

--
Marcelo Chiapparini

Old 08-09-2008, 01:37 AM
Marcelo Chiapparini

Bob McGowan wrote:

[...]

in fact, it was an install problem in the laptop. The installation of
samba was broken in some way. I found the solution in the web (thanks to
google and unbuntu forums) and after reinstalling samba everything is
working fine now!

Cheers

Marcelo

--