Old 08-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

Default Upgrading necessary, but maybe not

On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 06:35:38PM +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> The Huawei e169 umts usb modem seems to work fine with Debian Sid, kernel
> 2.6.25-2-686 kernel, but not with my Debian Etch, kernel 2.6.18-4-k7. Now, in
> order to have the device working, I should upgrade my system to Sid or even
> maybe simply upgrade only my kernel to 2.6.25-2-686.
>
> I wonder if there is a third possibility, i.e. keep my old kernel but simply
> recompile it. Can anybody suggest if such a way is good and how I can know
> the proper module to install before compiling the kernel?

Do you know which kernel the module actually came in with? I think
etch-n-half has 2.6.24, maybe it's in there saving you from moving all
the way up to sid.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Rodolfo Medina

Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> writes:

> Do you know which kernel the module actually came in with? I think
> etch-n-half has 2.6.24, maybe it's in there saving you from moving all
> the way up to sid.

I think I just need the 2.6.25-2-686. In fact, Ubuntu 8.04 has 2.6.24 and the
device does not work there (not without a special procedure, not difficult but
which I wish to avoid). But, as I said, recompiling the old kernel would not
achive the same result? Why not?

Thanks
Rodolfo

Old 08-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Rodolfo Medina wrote:

The Huawei e169 umts usb modem seems to work fine with Debian Sid, kernel
2.6.25-2-686 kernel, but not with my Debian Etch, kernel 2.6.18-4-k7. Now, in
order to have the device working, I should upgrade my system to Sid or even
maybe simply upgrade only my kernel to 2.6.25-2-686.

I wonder if there is a third possibility, i.e. keep my old kernel but simply
recompile it. Can anybody suggest if such a way is good and how I can know
the proper module to install before compiling the kernel?

You could recompile 2.6.25-2-686 on you Etch system from source and then
install the result.

Hugo

Old 08-08-2008, 12:27 AM
Rodolfo Medina

Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> writes:

> You could recompile 2.6.25-2-686 on you Etch system from source and then
> install the result.

... so having a Debian Etch with a 2.6.25 kernel? Doesn't it sound strange?

Thanks
Rodolfo

Old 08-08-2008, 03:49 AM
"Mumia W.."

... so having a Debian Etch with a 2.6.25 kernel? Doesn't it sound strange?

Thanks
Rodolfo

No, it's not at all strange. I'm running Etch with 2.6.26.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:15 AM
Andreas Janssen

Hugo Vanwoerkom (<hvw59601@care2.com>) wrote:
> Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>> The Huawei e169 umts usb modem seems to work fine with Debian Sid,
>> kernel
>> 2.6.25-2-686 kernel, but not with my Debian Etch, kernel 2.6.18-4-k7.
>> Now, in order to have the device working, I should upgrade my system
>> to Sid or even maybe simply upgrade only my kernel to 2.6.25-2-686.
>>
>> I wonder if there is a third possibility, i.e. keep my old kernel but
>> simply
>> recompile it. Can anybody suggest if such a way is good and how I
>> can know the proper module to install before compiling the kernel?
>>

> You could recompile 2.6.25-2-686 on you Etch system from source and
> then install the result.

Or you could install 2.6.25 from
http://www.backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php

regards
Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976
http://www.andreas-janssen.de/debian-tipps.html

Old 08-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Rodolfo Medina wrote:

Rodolfo Medina wrote:

The Huawei e169 umts usb modem seems to work fine with Debian Sid, kernel
2.6.25-2-686 kernel, but not with my Debian Etch, kernel 2.6.18-4-k7. Now,
in
order to have the device working, I should upgrade my system to Sid or even
maybe simply upgrade only my kernel to 2.6.25-2-686.

I wonder if there is a third possibility, i.e. keep my old kernel but simply
recompile it. Can anybody suggest if such a way is good and how I can know
the proper module to install before compiling the kernel?

Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> writes:

You could recompile 2.6.25-2-686 on you Etch system from source and then
install the result.

... so having a Debian Etch with a 2.6.25 kernel? Doesn't it sound strange?

So what? Don't sound strange to me:

1. Download http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.25.tar.bz2

2. Download
http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/linux-2.6/linux-2.6_2.6.25-7.diff.gz

3. Follow these directions:
http://wiki.debian.org/HowToRebuildAnOfficialDebianKernelPackage

Hugo

Old 08-09-2008, 12:02 AM
"s. keeling"

Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 06:35:38PM +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> >
> >> The Huawei e169 umts usb modem seems to work fine with Debian
> >> Sid, kernel 2.6.25-2-686 kernel, but not with my Debian Etch,
> >> kernel 2.6.18-4-k7. Now, in order to have the device working, I
> >> should upgrade my system to Sid or even maybe simply upgrade only
> >> my kernel to 2.6.25-2-686.
>
> Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> writes:
>
> > Do you know which kernel the module actually came in with? I think
> > etch-n-half has 2.6.24, maybe it's in there saving you from moving all
> > the way up to sid.
>
> I think I just need the 2.6.25-2-686. In fact, Ubuntu 8.04 has
> 2.6.24 and the device does not work there (not without a special
> procedure, not difficult but which I wish to avoid). But, as I
> said, recompiling the old kernel would not achive the same result?
> Why not?

Why would recompiling fix it? If you could backport the fix and patch
the etch kernel sources, that might be worth looking into (don't
know). Unless support for this was specifically turned off in the
etch kernel (a la kernel clock ticks, dumbed down to 250 instead of
1000, which breaks rosegarden), recompiling is not the answer;
patching or upgrading is.