Old 08-07-2008, 02:13 PM
tyler

Default home network problem - router is smarter than me

Hi,

What follows is a very naive question regarding home networking. Any
tips, even a pointer the most appropriate documentation, would be very
helpful.

I'd like to setup my desktop as a backup machine for my laptop. However,
I don't understand how my router works. I can access the router by
browsing to 192.168.2.1, and under the devices I see entries for both
computers, but the hostname and domainname for each is 'unknown'.

When apache is configured to listen to all addresses, I can browse
webpages on the desktop from the laptop by entering the IP address
(192.168.2.11), but not the name (etch.mynetwork). On the desktop I can
ssh to the desktop (ie., ssh to itself) with ssh etch.mynetwork, but I
can't connect from the laptop to the desktop:

tyler-> ssh etch.mynetwork
ssh: etch.mynetwork: Name or service not known
tyler-> ssh 192.168.2.11
ssh: connect to host 192.168.2.11 port 22: Connection refused

I think I have to have something in the hosts file, but since the IP
addresses are dynamically allocated, I don't know what I should do. I
also don't know if there's a problem with the way my router is set, or
why the desktop refuses to connect to the laptop via ssh.

My router is a Siemens Speedstream 6520 and I'm running Lenny on both
machines. Access to the internet is fine for both machines. When my wife
connects to the same router via wireless from her laptop (running XP) it
shows up on the router page, and both the hostname and domainname are
correctly identified.

Thanks for your time,

Tyler

--
Recording a pay-per-view broadcast to watch later will be illegal under
Bill C-61.

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/3049/125/

Old 08-07-2008, 02:23 PM
"Stackpole, Chris"

Do you have an ssh server running on your laptop? The connection refused
tells me that either you don't or it is running on a different port.

Take a look and see if you have a ssh server running/installed. If not,
the package I suggest you install is 'openssh-server'. If you do have it
installed, see what port it is running on `cat /etc/ssh/sshd_config |
grep -i port`

Have Fun!
~S~

Old 08-07-2008, 03:00 PM
tyler

"Stackpole, Chris" <CStackpole@barbnet.com> writes:

> [...]

I'm trying to ssh into the desktop though. I have been able to ssh from
my laptop to my university computer lab before, with only the ssh client
on the laptop. I know there's a ssh server on the desktop, as I just
installed openssh-server last night. On the desktop it is running on
port 22.

Thanks,

Tyler

Old 08-07-2008, 04:56 PM
tyler

tyler <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca> writes:

> When apache is configured to listen to all addresses, I can browse
> webpages on the desktop from the laptop by entering the IP address
> (192.168.2.11), but not the name (etch.mynetwork). On the desktop I can
> ssh to the desktop (ie., ssh to itself) with ssh etch.mynetwork, but I
> can't connect from the laptop to the desktop:

I think I've nearly got it solved. Thanks to some off-list advice, I've
set the desktop to static IP, and then I found that I had a firewall
blocking inbound ssh on the desktop that needed to be modified (d'oh!).
There was some sketchy certificate stuff, but now I appear to be able to
ssh into the desktop from the laptop.

One more question: how do I configure firestarter to accept inbound ssh
from a range of addresses? My laptop uses dynamic IP addresses, so I'd
like to allow ssh from 192.168.2.{10-20}, or something like that.

Thanks,

Tyler

Old 08-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Thu,07.Aug.08, 11:13:56, tyler wrote:

[...]

> My router is a Siemens Speedstream 6520 and I'm running Lenny on both
> machines. Access to the internet is fine for both machines. When my wife
> connects to the same router via wireless from her laptop (running XP) it
> shows up on the router page, and both the hostname and domainname are
> correctly identified.

If your router knows DNS then it might be enough to enable the
'send host-name' directive in /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf (with the correct
value of course).

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 08-10-2008, 11:33 PM
tyler

Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu,07.Aug.08, 11:13:56, tyler wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> My router is a Siemens Speedstream 6520 and I'm running Lenny on both
>> machines. Access to the internet is fine for both machines. When my wife
>> connects to the same router via wireless from her laptop (running XP) it
>> shows up on the router page, and both the hostname and domainname are
>> correctly identified.
>
> If your router knows DNS then it might be enough to enable the
> 'send host-name' directive in /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf (with the correct
> value of course).

Well, that got the router to recognize the hostname, but not the
domainname. I'll look into the dhcp documentation and see if I can sort
out the rest.

Thanks for the pointer!

Tyler

Old 08-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Sun,10.Aug.08, 20:33:29, tyler wrote:

> > If your router knows DNS then it might be enough to enable the
> > 'send host-name' directive in /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf (with the correct
> > value of course).
> >

> Well, that got the router to recognize the hostname, but not the
> domainname. I'll look into the dhcp documentation and see if I can sort
> out the rest.

But can you access the Windows machine by name? Before writing my
I couldn't access the other machine by name. It seems that my router
does not have DNS capabilities, so I can either use one of my machines
as DNS or just populate /etc/hosts, which for two machines is more than
manageable

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 08-11-2008, 07:37 AM
Shachar Or

On Monday 11 August 2008 10:26, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Sun,10.Aug.08, 20:33:29, tyler wrote:
> > > If your router knows DNS then it might be enough to enable the
> > > 'send host-name' directive in /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf (with the
> > > correct value of course).
> >
> > Well, that got the router to recognize the hostname, but not the
> > domainname. I'll look into the dhcp documentation and see if I can sort
> > out the rest.
>
> But can you access the Windows machine by name? Before writing my
> I couldn't access the other machine by name. It seems that my router
> does not have DNS capabilities, so I can either use one of my machines
> as DNS or just populate /etc/hosts, which for two machines is more than
> manageable

While your router doesn't have a DNS name server it doesn't mean you won't be
able to use names in your network.

You can set up a name server in one the the hosts in the network, for example,
in the Debian box. I use dnsmasq for this because it is easy to configure and
it can also be a dhcp server.

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 08-11-2008, 07:42 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Mon,11.Aug.08, 10:37:58, Shachar Or wrote:

> > > Well, that got the router to recognize the hostname, but not the
> > > domainname. I'll look into the dhcp documentation and see if I can sort
> > > out the rest.
> >
> > But can you access the Windows machine by name? Before writing my
> > I couldn't access the other machine by name. It seems that my router
> > does not have DNS capabilities, so I can either use one of my machines
> > as DNS or just populate /etc/hosts, which for two machines is more than
> > manageable
>
> While your router doesn't have a DNS name server it doesn't mean you won't be
> able to use names in your network.
>
> You can set up a name server in one the the hosts in the network, for example,
> in the Debian box. I use dnsmasq for this because it is easy to configure and
> it can also be a dhcp server.

Dear Shachar,

Please read my post again, especially the "either ... or" part

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)