Old 08-07-2008, 12:57 PM
"Chris Howie"

Default ath5k-based card not working

I have a card that seems to be driven by the ath5k module. The lspci
-n line corresponding to it is:

03:00.0 0200: 168c:001c (rev 01)

The driver creates two interfaces, wmaster0 and wlan0. If I execute
"ifconfig wlan0 up" and then try to scan there is no output, and I
know there are multiple APs in range. If I set my AP info on it, it
does not associate.

The weird thing is that my laptop has an indicator for the antenna
status, and it is orange -- which means it is off, even though the
physical switch is in the on position. It seems like there's
something else I need to do to power it up, but I have no clue what.
Hints?

I am running 2.6.26-1-amd64. According to the HCL this card should
work since 2.6.25.

Thanks,

--
Chris Howie
http://www.chrishowie.com

Old 08-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Shachar Or

On Thursday 07 August 2008 15:57, Chris Howie wrote:
> I have a card that seems to be driven by the ath5k module. The lspci
> -n line corresponding to it is:
>
> 03:00.0 0200: 168c:001c (rev 01)
>
> The driver creates two interfaces, wmaster0 and wlan0. If I execute
> "ifconfig wlan0 up" and then try to scan there is no output, and I
> know there are multiple APs in range. If I set my AP info on it, it
> does not associate.
>
> The weird thing is that my laptop has an indicator for the antenna
> status, and it is orange -- which means it is off, even though the
> physical switch is in the on position. It seems like there's
> something else I need to do to power it up, but I have no clue what.
> Hints?
>
> I am running 2.6.26-1-amd64. According to the HCL this card should
> work since 2.6.25.

Try the atheros/ath5k mailing list.

> Thanks,
>
> --
> Chris Howie
> http://www.chrishowie.com
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Crazycomputers

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 08-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Gavin Kinsey

Chris Howie wrote:

> I have a card that seems to be driven by the ath5k module. The lspci
> -n line corresponding to it is:
>
> 03:00.0 0200: 168c:001c (rev 01)
>
> I am running 2.6.26-1-amd64. According to the HCL this card should
> work since 2.6.25.

It doesn't work yet with the ath5k in the kernel, the madwifi driver in sid
works fine on my laptop which has the same card. *Latest I've heard is
there are patches to ath5k for support of this model and the hope is that
they will get in to 2.6.27 but if not then 2.6.28.

Alternatively there is a compat-wireless tarball that is reported to work
available if you don't want to use a non-free driver until then.
http://www.mail-archive.com/ath5k-devel@lists.ath5k.org/msg00955.html

Old 08-07-2008, 10:47 PM
"Chris Howie"

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 12:45 PM, Gavin Kinsey <gavin@trollgod.org.uk> wrote:
> It doesn't work yet with the ath5k in the kernel, the madwifi driver in sid
> works fine on my laptop which has the same card. Latest I've heard is
> there are patches to ath5k for support of this model and the hope is that
> they will get in to 2.6.27 but if not then 2.6.28.

Thanks, worked for me too.

> Alternatively there is a compat-wireless tarball that is reported to work
> available if you don't want to use a non-free driver until then.
> http://www.mail-archive.com/ath5k-devel@lists.ath5k.org/msg00955.html

I didn't know madwifi was non-free... ?

Old 08-08-2008, 01:53 AM
Celejar