Old 08-07-2008, 10:51 AM
mike

Default Is the monitor ON?

Far on the other side of my building at work I have several linux boxes
that displays a slide-show on a X screen. When our power blinks the
computer will reboot and is fine. The monitor (which is a flatscreen
tv) turns off and stays off until someone turns it on.

From my desk I can easily tell if the computer is up and running, but I
can't find a way to tell if the monitor is on or not.

Does anyone have a way to remotely tell if a monitor is on?

Thanks
Mike

Old 08-07-2008, 11:09 AM
Kent West

mike wrote:
Far on the other side of my building at work I have several linux
boxes that displays a slide-show on a X screen. When our power blinks
the computer will reboot and is fine. The monitor (which is a
flatscreen tv) turns off and stays off until someone turns it on.
From my desk I can easily tell if the computer is up and running, but
I can't find a way to tell if the monitor is on or not.

Does anyone have a way to remotely tell if a monitor is on?

The only reliable way I can think of is to put a webcam on that computer
facing the monitor.

--
Kent West <")))><

Old 08-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Florian Kulzer

Quoting mike (mail4mike2008-debian AT yahoo DOT com):

Far on the other side of my building at work I have several linux boxes
that displays a slide-show on a X screen. When our power blinks the
computer will reboot and is fine. The monitor (which is a flatscreen
tv) turns off and stays off until someone turns it on. From my desk I
can easily tell if the computer is up and running, but I can't find a
way to tell if the monitor is on or not. Does anyone have a way to
remotely tell if a monitor is on?

If you can ssh to the computers and run ddcprobe (in package
xresprobe) then the output should tell you if the attached monitors
are on. (I am currently not at my Linux box so I cannot try it myself.)

Florian

Old 08-07-2008, 12:42 PM
John Hasler

apropos dpms
apt-cache search dpms
man vbetool
--
John Hasler

Old 08-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Dave Sherohman

On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 07:42:30AM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> apropos dpms
> apt-cache search dpms
> man vbetool

That all looks like power-management stuff (i.e., "has the computer told
the monitor to turn itself off?"), but I believe the OP is looking for a
way to determine whether the monitor is turned on or off at the switch.
Is DPMS also able to detect that state?

For the OP, just to make sure your bases are covered, have you gone into
the monitor's setup menus and verified that it doesn't have a "turn on
after power loss" option?

--
News aggregation meets world domination. Can you see the fnews?
http://seethefnews.com/

Old 08-07-2008, 03:24 PM

AFAIK the computer to monitor interface has no feedback telling the
computer that the monitor's power is ON. If true then the computer
has no mechanism for determining the state of the monitor.
Larry

Old 08-07-2008, 03:47 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/8/7 <owens@netptc.net>:
> AFAIK the computer to monitor interface has no feedback telling the
> computer that the monitor's power is ON. If true then the computer
> has no mechanism for determining the state of the monitor.

Then how does Debian probe the monitor for available resolutions
during install? To check if the monitor is on, probe it for available
resolutions. If you get no answer, then it is off.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 08-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Brad Rogers

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 18:47:49 +0300
"Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Dotan,

> Then how does Debian probe the monitor for available resolutions
> during install? To check if the monitor is on, probe it for available
> resolutions. If you get no answer, then it is off.

It wouldn't surprise to me to find that, with some monitors at least,
this is not an accurate way of determining power state; Like many
VCRs, TVs, digiboxes, computer PSU/mobo combos, the monitor may have
power to some circuitry regardless of power switch setting.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Well you tried it just the once and found it alright for kicks
Orgasm Addict - Buzzcocks

Old 08-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Dotan Cohen escreveu:

Then how does Debian probe the monitor for available resolutions
during install? To check if the monitor is on, probe it for available
resolutions. If you get no answer, then it is off

Do very old monitors support this resolution probing method? If they
don't, then a very old monitor ON might be read as OFF.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:23 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/8/7 Brad Rogers <brad@fineby.me.uk>:
> On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 18:47:49 +0300
> "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Dotan,
>
>> Then how does Debian probe the monitor for available resolutions
>> during install? To check if the monitor is on, probe it for available
>> resolutions. If you get no answer, then it is off.
>
> It wouldn't surprise to me to find that, with some monitors at least,
> this is not an accurate way of determining power state; Like many
> VCRs, TVs, digiboxes, computer PSU/mobo combos, the monitor may have
> power to some circuitry regardless of power switch setting.

Good point. The OP should see if it is a relevant testing method for
_his_ particular monitor then.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com