Old 08-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Aniruddha

Default Does apt keep old packages?

Hi,

I can't find old versions of software packages in apt. Does this mean
they are removed? And if they are removed what is the best way to
install older versions in Debian?

Regards,

Aniruddha

Old 08-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Ron Johnson

On 08/07/08 05:31, Aniruddha wrote:

Hi,

I can't find old versions of software packages in apt. Does this mean
they are removed? And if they are removed what is the best way to
install older versions in Debian?

$ locate <package> | grep deb$

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Scientists are people, too. IOW, they also "crave power, money,
respect, and influence, and they also fear for their jobs. Each
can be a healthy motivator, but each has the ability to turn a
good scientist into a bad one; and in some cases, they can turn
a good scientist into a charlatan."
http://thefutureofthings.com/book/3/the-bomb-that-never-was.html

Old 08-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Aniruddha

On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 05:55 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> locate <package> | grep deb$

Thanks for the tip. If I am not mistaken this command shows which
packages you have in cache. Unfortunately I have a fresh install, does
this mean I can't install an older package?

> ~$ locate fglrx-driver | grep deb$
> /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-driver_1%3a8-6-2_i386.deb

Regards,

Aniruddha

Old 08-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

You should be able to find them at http://snapshot.debian.net/ .

Old 08-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Aniruddha

On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 09:26 -0300, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> Aniruddha escreveu:
> > Unfortunately I have a fresh install, does
> > this mean I can't install an older package?
> >

> You should be able to find them at http://snapshot.debian.net/ .

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for Do you happen to know
if this site is an official Debian project?

Regards,

Aniruddha

Old 08-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Ron Johnson

Thanks for the tip. If I am not mistaken this command shows which
packages you have in cache. Unfortunately I have a fresh install, does
this mean I can't install an older package?

That's a different question. Which Eduardo ably answered.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Paul Johnson

On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 14:32 +0200, Aniruddha wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 09:26 -0300, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> > Aniruddha escreveu:
> > > Unfortunately I have a fresh install, does
> > > this mean I can't install an older package?
> > >

> > You should be able to find them at http://snapshot.debian.net/
>
> Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for Do you happen to know
> if this site is an official Debian project?

All official Debian project sites are *.debian.org. The .net sites
aren't official, as far as I am aware of.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca