Old 08-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Andreas Janssen

Default How do I enable UUID in Debian?

Aniruddha (<mailing_list@orange.nl>) wrote:

> Since my harddrive names keep changing after each reboot I have to set
> UUID in grub to make sure I can boot. I've done this before in Gentoo
> and I wonder how this works in Debian.
>
> Do I have to install a special package? Which line do I have to add to
> my menu.lst? I was thinking about something like this:
>
>> title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.24-1-686
>> root (hd2,1)
>> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-1-686
>> root=UUID=dd4927a2-e1f4-4955-8aa7-76a11d8c3aca init=/linuxrc
>> ramdisk=8192
>> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-1-686
>

> Is this correct? Thanks in advance!

I have not tested this for the root partition, but if you use initramfs
for your initrd, which includes udev in the initial ram disk, you
should be able to access /dev/disk/by-uuid/<UUID>

regards
Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976
http://www.andreas-janssen.de/debian-tipps.html

Old 08-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Alex Samad

On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 10:21:31PM +0200, Andreas Janssen wrote:
> Aniruddha (<mailing_list@orange.nl>) wrote:
>
> > Since my harddrive names keep changing after each reboot I have to set
> > UUID in grub to make sure I can boot. I've done this before in Gentoo
> > and I wonder how this works in Debian.
> >
> > Do I have to install a special package? Which line do I have to add to
> > my menu.lst? I was thinking about something like this:
> >
> >> title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.24-1-686
> >> root (hd2,1)
> >> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-1-686
> >> root=UUID=dd4927a2-e1f4-4955-8aa7-76a11d8c3aca init=/linuxrc
> >> ramdisk=8192
> >> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-1-686

Yep this will work (ie the UUID), not sure about the init statement,
have a look in /boot/grub/menu.lst, there should be a line that looks
like
# kopt=root=/dev/md1 ro console=tty0 selinux=0

but update-grub should look at your fstab, which should have something
like

UUID=<UUID> / .....

don't be too worried about stuffing it up, with grub you can always edit
the line at boot up, in fact try testing before hand

Alex

> > Is this correct? Thanks in advance!
>
> I have not tested this for the root partition, but if you use initramfs
> for your initrd, which includes udev in the initial ram disk, you
> should be able to access /dev/disk/by-uuid/<UUID>
>
> regards
> Andreas Janssen
>
> --
> Andreas Janssen <andreas.janssen@bigfoot.com>
> PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
> Registered Linux User #267976
> http://www.andreas-janssen.de/debian-tipps.html

"The American people would not want to know of any misquotes that George Bush may or may not make."

- George W. Bush

Old 08-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Pol Hallen

> Do I have to install a special package?
No

> > root=UUID=dd4927a2-e1f4-4955-8aa7-76a11d8c3aca init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192
> Is this correct? Thanks in advance!
yep
times ago I been have the same problem..

U can look do:

ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid

Best R.
Pol

Old 08-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Aniruddha

Hi,

Since my harddrive names keep changing after each reboot I have to set
UUID in grub to make sure I can boot. I've done this before in Gentoo
and I wonder how this works in Debian.

Do I have to install a special package? Which line do I have to add to
my menu.lst? I was thinking about something like this:

> title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.24-1-686
> root (hd2,1)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-1-686 root=UUID=dd4927a2-e1f4-4955-8aa7-76a11d8c3aca init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192
> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-1-686

Is this correct? Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Aniruddha