Old 11-20-2007, 03:39 PM
Augustin

Default Which AM2 motherboard and chipset do you use?

Hello,

As mentioned is a previous thread, my current computer is having some
hardware problems that prevent me from installing Debian (It is
currently running Mandriva).

Since I have some cash coming in, I am now definitely looking at
buying a new computer on which I will exclusively install Debian.

I am set to buying a socket AM2 mainboard, with a slow CPU, a minimum
amount of RAM and use the onboard graphic unit, but I would like to
buy a fairly good/excellent mainboard + very good power supply unit,
so that I can over time, as prices drop, upgrade CPU, RAM and buy a
good, dedicated video card.

For the power supply, I am thinking to buy a 500~550 Watt, 80plus
certified unit.

Right now, I am in the middle of researching and comparing socket AM2
mainboards.
My problem is that there are so many chipsets and I am a bit lost.
I am looking for a list of chipsets available on AM2 mainboards so
that I can clarify a bit things in my mind.

Unfortunately, I cannot find such a list. Wikipedia has good lists of
Video cards per generation, a list of AMD CPU for the socket AM2, but
no list of chipset that I could find.

Searching online I find a lot of mainboard reviews... but there are so
many AM2 mainboards...

Also, since the new computer is meant to replace an existing one which
has some hardware problems, I would like to be 100% sure that the
hardware I am going to purchase is 100% supported by the linux kernel
in etch (or at least by the newest stable kernel).

I am going to use (at least at first) the onboard video chip, the
sound chip, etc...
But again, where do I see a list of such chips and check whether they
are supported by linux?
Can I be 100% sure that whatever desktop PC mainboard I buy will be
supported by linux?
Or "only" 95% sure (e.g. if one or two chips are known to cause
problem and are better avoided)?

In terms of Linux support, what other things should be looked at when
purchasing a mainboard (again, I couldn't find a page with such
information: can we really assume that linux can be painlessly
installed on 100% of the mainboards on the market???)

Which (socket AM2) motherboard do you use?
Do you use the onboard video chip (i.e. you have no video card)?
Sound?
What is the chipset on your AM2 board?
Have you experienced any problem.

Whenever I receive help on a mailing list, I would like to contribute
back the information preferably in the form of a wiki article that
others could improve after me.
I am tempted to do this at wiki.debian.org but I am afraid that some
people would say this kind of hardware related information is not
suitable for the wiki (there is a discussion page about this on the
wiki).
Maybe I could create a stub on wikipedia: how do you suggest I
proceed?
Or where else?

I am asking this because I have already spent an awful lot of time
doing my homework, and YOU are going to spend some of your time
replying to me... I that if there is an ideal place to put this
information, it could help other people to find answers quicker than
I did.

thanks,

--
Augustin
http://minguo.info/ better election methods

Old 11-20-2007, 05:16 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 12:39:58AM +0800, Augustin wrote:

> Hello,

> For the power supply, I am thinking to buy a 500~550 Watt, 80plus
> certified unit.

just a quick note on power supplies. Its not the total wattage that is
of concern, but how that power is distributed into the different
rails. How many watts are hitting the 3.3 volt rail, the 5 volt rail
etc. Are they split -- some have so many watts to one 5 volts rails
and another amount going to another 5 volt rail etc. Its worth the
time to figure out what you actually need for in different areas.

Case in point: I bought a ps for my home server about a year ago. It
carries 4 big PATA drives. All the big power supplies (you know, the big
super flashy 600W monsters) didn't supply enough power (allowing for a
reasonable margin) for PATA drives, it was mostly routed to the SATA
connectors. I ended up with a much cheaper, lower wattage ps that
happens to put the power where I *need* it.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:35 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 12:39:58AM +0800, Augustin wrote:
Hello Augustin, I'll try to put comments in-line where they'll make
sense.

> I am set to buying a socket AM2 mainboard, with a slow CPU, a minimum
> amount of RAM and use the onboard graphic unit, but I would like to
> buy a fairly good/excellent mainboard + very good power supply unit,
> so that I can over time, as prices drop, upgrade CPU, RAM and buy a
> good, dedicated video card.
>
> For the power supply, I am thinking to buy a 500~550 Watt, 80plus
> certified unit.

If you're thinking long-term, start with a good case. One with lots of
room (more room means more airflow with less noise, easier to swap stuff
around). I have lots of room in my room so have a CoolerMaster Stacker.
Takes any MB you like, has two PSU bays (I put the PSU in the lower bay
and two 80 mm fans in the upper bay), and 11 5.25" bays all at the
front, and comes with one 4-in-3 fanned 3.5 drive adapter.

For power, I went with a CoolerMaster 600W iGreen. Lots of power
available for the drives.

For main board, I went with Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe: lots of SATA and USB
ports, great sound (for me), etc. It doesn't have integrated video but
an Asus EN7300GT Silent cost $40. Everything works with standard Debian
Etch and stock kernel. I choose to use the pre-packaged nVidia X driver
for a bit better DVD playback but its only slightly noticeable on my 21"
drafting CRT during movement; I don't know if it would show up on an LCD.
The issue is the mpeg conversion: the nVidia driver does this in
hardware whereas the nv driver does it in software and the result isn't
as clear, especially if its deinterlacing/blending while showing
full-screen.

> In terms of Linux support, what other things should be looked at when
> purchasing a mainboard (again, I couldn't find a page with such
> information: can we really assume that linux can be painlessly
> installed on 100% of the mainboards on the market???)

Mostly its philosophical. Look for a manufacturer that provides
hardware info freely available. Good luck. For example, the nVidia
chipset on my Asus board runs with the forcedeth driver in the kernel
which is a reverse-engineered solution since the data isn't available.

> Which (socket AM2) motherboard do you use?
Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
> Do you use the onboard video chip (i.e. you have no video card)?
no: Asus EN7300GT silent with nVidia 7300GT chipset.
> Sound?
on-board
> What is the chipset on your AM2 board?
nVidia
> Have you experienced any problem.
I have the bios set up to control the fan speed based on its theremo
sensors. I run amd64 and find that sensord can't see the sensors
properly. It doesn't matter to me to troubleshoot.

None.

Last and not least (should be first), is what is the box for? Is it a
home (entertainment?) box or a server? Does running a binary-blob
driver like the nVidia X driver cause you any concerns (security or
otherwise)? You say you'll start with a cheap CPU and move up later.
When I bought my box close to a year ago, the only CPU I could get in
AM2 was an Athlon64 3800+. Its still pretty fast; there may be one
faster out in single-core. Will dual-core be something you're
interested in or is your task a single-threaded thing? Are you at risk
of finding that you really wished you had gone for an Opteron instead?
Different MB, different CPU, different memory.

On the other end, do you need a new box or would a good used box be more
economical?

You see, the only specification you gave us was the CPU socket and a
preference for integrated video, to run Debian. These seem rather
artifical.

Doug.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:40 PM
Wayne Topa

Douglas A. Tutty(dtutty@porchlight.ca) is reported to have said:
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 12:39:58AM +0800, Augustin wrote:
> Hello Augustin, I'll try to put comments in-line where they'll make
> sense.
>
> > I am set to buying a socket AM2 mainboard, with a slow CPU, a minimum
> > amount of RAM and use the onboard graphic unit, but I would like to
> > buy a fairly good/excellent mainboard + very good power supply unit,
> > so that I can over time, as prices drop, upgrade CPU, RAM and buy a
> > good, dedicated video card.
> >
> > For the power supply, I am thinking to buy a 500~550 Watt, 80plus
> > certified unit.
>
> If you're thinking long-term, start with a good case. One with lots of
> room (more room means more airflow with less noise, easier to swap stuff
> around). I have lots of room in my room so have a CoolerMaster Stacker.
> Takes any MB you like, has two PSU bays (I put the PSU in the lower bay
> and two 80 mm fans in the upper bay), and 11 5.25" bays all at the
> front, and comes with one 4-in-3 fanned 3.5 drive adapter.
>
> For power, I went with a CoolerMaster 600W iGreen. Lots of power
> available for the drives.
>
> For main board, I went with Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe: lots of SATA and USB
> ports, great sound (for me), etc. It doesn't have integrated video but
> an Asus EN7300GT Silent cost $40. Everything works with standard Debian
> Etch and stock kernel. I choose to use the pre-packaged nVidia X driver
> for a bit better DVD playback but its only slightly noticeable on my 21"
> drafting CRT during movement; I don't know if it would show up on an LCD.
> The issue is the mpeg conversion: the nVidia driver does this in
> hardware whereas the nv driver does it in software and the result isn't
> as clear, especially if its deinterlacing/blending while showing
> full-screen.

A bit OT Doug but I have the same MB and I yesterday tried to get sound
working. Sound does not show up in lspci. What does your box show in
lspci?

[VT1 root@dj-TESTING]
lspci
00:00.0 Memory controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 Memory Controller (rev a3)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 ISA Bridge (rev f3)
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation CK804 SMBus (rev a2)
00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 USB Controller (rev a2)
00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 USB Controller (rev a3)
00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 IDE (rev f2)
00:07.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA Controller (rev f3)
00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA Controller (rev f3)
00:09.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCI Bridge (rev f2)
00:0a.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 Ethernet Controller (rev f3)
00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev f3)
00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev f3)
00:0d.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev f3)
00:0e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
01:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host Controller (rev c0)
05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G70 [GeForce 7300 GT] (rev a1)

TIA

Wayne

--
Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?

Old 11-20-2007, 11:11 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 06:40:08PM -0500, Wayne Topa wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty(dtutty@porchlight.ca) is reported to have said:
>
> > For main board, I went with Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe: lots of SATA and USB
> > ports, great sound (for me), etc. It doesn't have integrated video but
> > an Asus EN7300GT Silent cost $40. Everything works with standard Debian
> > Etch and stock kernel. I choose to use the pre-packaged nVidia X driver
> > for a bit better DVD playback but its only slightly noticeable on my 21"
> > drafting CRT during movement; I don't know if it would show up on an LCD.
> > The issue is the mpeg conversion: the nVidia driver does this in
> > hardware whereas the nv driver does it in software and the result isn't
> > as clear, especially if its deinterlacing/blending while showing
> > full-screen.
>
> A bit OT Doug but I have the same MB and I yesterday tried to get sound
> working. Sound does not show up in lspci. What does your box show in
> lspci?

Sound works fine for me (Debian Etch). Remember to install:
alsa-base
alsa-utils

Read the man pages and run alsa-conf

Here's my lspci: Sound doesn't show up there either.

Doug.

00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Memory Controller (rev a1)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 LPC Bridge (rev a2)
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SMBus (rev a2)
00:01.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Memory Controller (rev a2)
00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP55 USB Controller (rev a1)
00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP55 USB Controller (rev a2)
00:04.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 IDE (rev a1)
00:05.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a2)
00:05.1 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a2)
00:05.2 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a2)
00:06.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI bridge (rev a2)
00:06.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP55 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
00:08.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet (rev a2)
00:09.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet (rev a2)
00:0a.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:0d.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:0e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:0f.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
01:0b.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB22/A IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
06:00.0 IDE interface: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller (rev 02)
06:00.1 IDE interface: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller (rev 02)
07:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0393 (rev a1)

Old 11-21-2007, 12:30 AM
Wayne Topa

Douglas A. Tutty(dtutty@porchlight.ca) is reported to have said:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 06:40:08PM -0500, Wayne Topa wrote:
> > Douglas A. Tutty(dtutty@porchlight.ca) is reported to have said:
> >
> > > For main board, I went with Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe: lots of SATA and USB
> > > ports, great sound (for me), etc. It doesn't have integrated video but
> > > an Asus EN7300GT Silent cost $40. Everything works with standard Debian
> > > Etch and stock kernel. I choose to use the pre-packaged nVidia X driver
> > > for a bit better DVD playback but its only slightly noticeable on my 21"
> > > drafting CRT during movement; I don't know if it would show up on an LCD.
> > > The issue is the mpeg conversion: the nVidia driver does this in
> > > hardware whereas the nv driver does it in software and the result isn't
> > > as clear, especially if its deinterlacing/blending while showing
> > > full-screen.
> >
> > A bit OT Doug but I have the same MB and I yesterday tried to get sound
> > working. Sound does not show up in lspci. What does your box show in
> > lspci?
>
> Sound works fine for me (Debian Etch). Remember to install:
> alsa-base
> alsa-utils

They are.

> Read the man pages and run alsa-conf

I started that but stopped when lspci said there wasn't any sound
hardware on the MB.

> Here's my lspci: Sound doesn't show up there either.

Well that makes me feel much better. Now I can read the man pages and
get it going.

Many Tnx!!

Wayne

--
User error: replace user and press any key to continue.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:37 AM
Florian Kulzer

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 19:11:06 -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 06:40:08PM -0500, Wayne Topa wrote:

[...]

> > A bit OT Doug but I have the same MB and I yesterday tried to get sound
> > working. Sound does not show up in lspci. What does your box show in
> > lspci?
>
> Sound works fine for me (Debian Etch). Remember to install:
> alsa-base
> alsa-utils
>
> Read the man pages and run alsa-conf
>

> Here's my lspci: Sound doesn't show up there either.

[...]

Here it is:

> 00:06.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP55 High Definition Audio (rev a2)

[...]

I have no idea what to do if there is no audio device listed with
lscpi, as in Wayne's case, except for the standard "Have you tried the
newest kernel already?" suggestion.

Florian |

Old 11-21-2007, 12:22 PM
"Sridhar M.A."

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 09:37:32AM +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:

> I have no idea what to do if there is no audio device listed with
> lscpi, as in Wayne's case, except for the standard "Have you tried the
> newest kernel already?" suggestion.

May not be the answer for the OP, but update-pciids (as root) followed
by lspci _might_ help in identifying the device at least.

Sridhar M.A. GPG KeyID : F6A35935
Fingerprint: D172 22C4 7CDC D9CD 62B5 55C1 2A69 D5D8 F6A3 5935

"It's the best thing since professional golfers on 'ludes."
-- Rick Obidiah

Old 11-21-2007, 09:10 PM
MRH

On 20/11/07 16:39,Augustin wrote:

Hello,

As mentioned is a previous thread, my current computer is having some
hardware problems that prevent me from installing Debian (It is
currently running Mandriva).

Since I have some cash coming in, I am now definitely looking at
buying a new computer on which I will exclusively install Debian.

I am set to buying a socket AM2 mainboard, with a slow CPU, a minimum
amount of RAM and use the onboard graphic unit, but I would like to
buy a fairly good/excellent mainboard + very good power supply unit,
so that I can over time, as prices drop, upgrade CPU, RAM and buy a
good, dedicated video card.

For the power supply, I am thinking to buy a 500~550 Watt, 80plus
certified unit.

[cut]

I built my PC a couple of months ago and it works with Debian sid very
well. The main components are:
1) AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ (EE, lower power consumption - however I'd go
for BE-2350 (45W) now)

2) MoBo: Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe ATX Socket AM2 Nvidia Nforce 570 SLI
It's really good one, chipsets are cooled passively (heatpipes), many
connectors on board - you can find good reviews on google. No graphics
onboard, so:

3) used (eBay) XFX Geforce 7600 GT Fatal1ty;
Great, passive cooling so very silent but quite powerful. Now you could
buy 8600GT.

4) HDD WD (WD5000AAKS 500GB SATA II)
Silent, fast, reliable.
5) RAM: 2GB Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 675MHz/PC2-5400
6) Case: Coolermaster Elite 330 Black Mid Tower Case - No PSU
quite cheap (ca. 28) but decent
7) Power Supply - Coolermaster IGreen 430W (85% Efficiency ATX12V v2.2
120mm Fan)
I can tell you that the 430W is really enough unless you want to put a
big array of HDDs inside or power-consuming new SLI gfx. There are also
more powerful versions.

I added 2 rather silent 120mm fans (front and back). My PC is quite
silent (the noisiest part is the boxed processor fan, which I plan to
replace). It's stable, no problems with network, SATA, audio, USB -
everything works. I compiled kernel myself, but most thing worked with
the Debian kernel (AFAIR).

--
Cheers,
Michal R. Hoffmann