Old 08-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

Default Benefits (and risks) of using Sid

On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 09:07:27PM -0700, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 01:00:44PM -0700, Paul Scott <pslist@ultrasw.com> was heard to say:
> > aptitude makes it easy to "plan the updates"
>
> How so?

I'll bite on this... the simple but powerful interface allows me to
quickly browse through the proposed changes picking and choosing those
I want. Clearly it's an inspired piece of software! ;-)

/me wipes stuff off nose...

Old 08-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Florian Kulzer

Quoting Andrew Sackville-West:

On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 09:07:27PM -0700, Daniel Burrows wrote:
On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 01:00:44PM -0700, Paul Scott
<pslist@ultrasw.com> was heard to say:

> aptitude makes it easy to "plan the updates"

How so?

I'll bite on this... the simple but powerful interface allows me to
quickly browse through the proposed changes picking and choosing those
I want. Clearly it's an inspired piece of software! ;-)

/me wipes stuff off nose...

You forgot to recommend that he should read the documentation...

Florian

Old 08-07-2008, 03:01 AM
Daniel Burrows

On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 11:47:21PM +0200, Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> was heard to say:
> Quoting Andrew Sackville-West:
>> On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 09:07:27PM -0700, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>>> On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 01:00:44PM -0700, Paul Scott
>>> <pslist@ultrasw.com> was heard to say:
>>>
>>> How so?
>>
>> I'll bite on this... the simple but powerful interface allows me to
>> quickly browse through the proposed changes picking and choosing those
>> I want. Clearly it's an inspired piece of software! ;-)
>>
>> /me wipes stuff off nose...
>
> You forgot to recommend that he should read the documentation...

Heh. :-)

I actually am curious to hear what people like about the program,
because I'm (slowly) working out ideas for redesigning the interface
and I don't want to accidentally break useful features. Any breakage
should be fully intentional, that's my motto.

Hence my oh-so-subtle prodding...

Daniel

Old 08-07-2008, 03:39 AM
Celejar

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 14:09:34 +0100
andy <geek_show@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> This is just a general enquiry about the benefits of using Sid on a
> desktop or a workstation. Aside from obtaining up-to-the-minute software
> (and related patches), are there any other benefits to using Sid? I am
> aware of the risks - i.e. frequently broken applications - but to be
> honest, how often does this happen?
>
> Any thoughts (no flames please - I recycled my asbestos suit!!)

Recently, I was hit by this:

I do use apt-listbugs, but I missed this anyhow; I'm not sure why.
Perhaps I upgraded before it was reported. In any event, my system
broke badly; I can function without X, but it's difficult to
troubleshoot without networking. Here is my panicky plea for help on
the list:

Note that I was lucky to receive a very prompt pointer to the problem
from Sven Joachim, which illustrates another point about using Sid;
this list is an invaluable resource, as is the BTS.

> Andy

Celejar

Old 08-07-2008, 02:08 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 20:01 -0700, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 11:47:21PM +0200, Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> was heard to say:
> > Quoting Andrew Sackville-West:

> >> I'll bite on this... the simple but powerful interface allows me to
> >> quickly browse through the proposed changes picking and choosing those
> >> I want. Clearly it's an inspired piece of software! ;-)
> >>
> >> /me wipes stuff off nose...
> >
> > You forgot to recommend that he should read the documentation...
>
> Heh. :-)
>
> I actually am curious to hear what people like about the program,
> because I'm (slowly) working out ideas for redesigning the interface
> and I don't want to accidentally break useful features. Any breakage
> should be fully intentional, that's my motto.
>
> Hence my oh-so-subtle prodding...
>
> Daniel

Sadly, I have NEVER used aptitude ncurses. Ever since the early days of
Potato, when I tried to use it, I would get completely lost. As smart
as I am (however smart that is) that interface just does not work the
way my brain works. I still don't know how to use it and get frustrated
in 30 seconds trying to use it. Nothing against what I am sure is a
nice program, it just does not work the way I think. I feel better by
sharing, it has made us all better people (and dang it! People like
me!)

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Old 08-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Kent West

Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 20:01 -0700, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>
>> Heh. :-)
>>
>> I actually am curious to hear what people like about the program,
>> because I'm (slowly) working out ideas for redesigning the interface
>> and I don't want to accidentally break useful features. Any breakage
>> should be fully intentional, that's my motto.
>>
>> Hence my oh-so-subtle prodding...
>>
>> Daniel
>>

> Sadly, I have NEVER used aptitude ncurses. Ever since the early days of
> Potato, when I tried to use it, I would get completely lost. As smart
> as I am (however smart that is) that interface just does not work the
> way my brain works. I still don't know how to use it and get frustrated
> in 30 seconds trying to use it. Nothing against what I am sure is a
> nice program, it just does not work the way I think. I feel better by
> sharing, it has made us all better people (and dang it! People like
> me!)

Ditto. I'm sure it's a fine program, but I, too, get lost with the
ncurses interface of aptitude. (I actually found dselect easier to get
around in. What?!!)

--
Kent West <*)))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com

Old 08-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 11:47:21PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> Quoting Andrew Sackville-West:
>> On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 09:07:27PM -0700, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>>> On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 01:00:44PM -0700, Paul Scott
>>> <pslist@ultrasw.com> was heard to say:
>>>
>>> How so?
>>
>> I'll bite on this... the simple but powerful interface allows me to
>> quickly browse through the proposed changes picking and choosing those
>> I want. Clearly it's an inspired piece of software! ;-)
>>
>> /me wipes stuff off nose...
>
> You forgot to recommend that he should read the documentation...

oh, yes thanks.

OP: Be sure to read the *excellent* and *well written* documentation.

/me looks around to see if Daniel is watching.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:16 PM
Cousin Stanley

> Ditto. I'm sure it's a fine program, but I, too, get lost
> with the ncurses interface of aptitude

Add a ditto onto to the ditto regarding my own inability
to cope with the ncurses interface to aptitude ....

To me it seems cumbersome and somewhat cryptic ....

--
Stanley C. Kitching
Human Being

Old 08-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Nate Bargmann

* Cousin Stanley <cousinstanley@hotmail.com> [2008 Aug 07 16:38 -0500]:

> > Ditto. I'm sure it's a fine program, but I, too, get lost
> > with the ncurses interface of aptitude
>
> Add a ditto onto to the ditto regarding my own inability
> to cope with the ncurses interface to aptitude ....
>
> To me it seems cumbersome and somewhat cryptic ....

And I think Aptitude works very well and couldn't wait to ditch dselect
for it. Different strokes and all that. I've had the displeasure of
being dumped into Synaptic on Ubuntu and friends. I'll take Aptitude
every time, thank you very much.

- Nate >>

Old 08-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 04:55:23PM -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> * Cousin Stanley <cousinstanley@hotmail.com> [2008 Aug 07 16:38 -0500]:
> >

> > > Ditto. I'm sure it's a fine program, but I, too, get lost
> > > with the ncurses interface of aptitude
> >
> > Add a ditto onto to the ditto regarding my own inability
> > to cope with the ncurses interface to aptitude ....
> >
> > To me it seems cumbersome and somewhat cryptic ....
>
> And I think Aptitude works very well and couldn't wait to ditch dselect
> for it. Different strokes and all that. I've had the displeasure of
> being dumped into Synaptic on Ubuntu and friends. I'll take Aptitude
> every time, thank you very much.

took me a long time to grok the aptitude interface, but I hardly
ever use it directly. Now I'm somewhat comfortable with it and it
works for me, but I'm sure that's a case of me training myself to use
it...