Old 08-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Andreas Janssen

Default kernels for Lenny; was Alsaconf & halting a frozen laptop.

PETER EASTHOPE (<peasthope@shaw.ca>) wrote:

> Nigel & others,
>
> At Fri, 25 Jul 2008 21:39:40 +0200 N.H. wrote,
> "... Lenny install, I have the following kernels available.
> 2.6.8
> 2.6.11"
>
> With /etc/apt/sources.list set to lenny,
> dselect offers only 2.6.16 and 2.6.25.
> Can dselect install 2.6.11?

No, 2.6.11 is not in the archive anymore. In fact, even Etch, the
version released last year in April, came with Kernel 2.6.18. Lenny
currently only has 2.6.25, and will probably be updated to 2.6.26
before the release. 2.6.8 was included in Sarge, released in June 2005.
However Sarge is outdated and not supported by the Debian security team
anymore.

regards
Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976
http://www.andreas-janssen.de/debian-tipps.html

Old 08-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Nigel Henry

On Wednesday 06 August 2008 02:27, PETER EASTHOPE wrote:
> Nigel & others,
>
> At Fri, 25 Jul 2008 21:39:40 +0200 N.H. wrote,
> "... Lenny install, I have the following kernels available.
> 2.6.8
> 2.6.11"
>
> With /etc/apt/sources.list set to lenny,
> dselect offers only 2.6.16 and 2.6.25.
> Can dselect install 2.6.11?
>
> Thanks, ... Peter E.

Hi Peter. I've only got the 2.6.8, and 2.6.11 kernels still on my Debian
installs, because I've been continuously upgrading since Woody, and it was
only a thought as those kernels were both pre udev IIRC, and may have been
worth a try if it's udev by some chance, that is causing the problem with the
2 sound modules being loaded.

Anyway, back to the sound problem.

How about putting some option lines in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base. I hope I
havn't already mentioned this. Try adding the 3 lines below to the bottom of
the alsa-base file.

options snd-intel8x0 index=0
options snd-usb-audio index=1
options snd-hda-intel index=2

I say this because at the moment both snd-intel8x0, and snd-hda-intel are
being loaded, and it seems like they are both trying to grab card0, which is
resulting in neither getting card0, and snd-usb-audio is getting card0,
because the other 2 are having a non resolvable argument as to who gets
card0.

Having added the above lines, reboot, and check:
cat /proc/asound/cards

See if they are in the order you set with the options lines above, and more
importantly, whether you have sound.

There is something else to try, but have a go at that first.

All the best.

Nigel.