Old 08-05-2008, 10:18 PM
"Jaime Ochoa Malagón"

Default 2.6.24-4 kernel not booting

My guess is the grub update, you should reinstall grub in your mbr and
restart...

On 8/5/08, Michael Habashy <mjh2000@gmail.com> wrote:
> can anyone help on this???
> I get into a busybox prompt and can not do much.
> Can i get a list of procedures on how to recover my system ???
> I am using lvm2 on top of raid. (raid1 for boot and raid5 for root and
> the rest of my system)
> I am able to but with the debian 4.0 dvd and get into rescue mode. I
> can then create a directory and mount my /dev/md0 device
>
> I can see all my files on the boot partition including my kernels
> ...all seems okay...just do not know where to go from here.
>
> thanks
> mjh
>

> On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 12:44 AM, Vikram Vincent <vincentvikram@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I upgraded my system to the latest kernel along with all the other packages.
> > While installing I found that the "initrd" line in grub's menu.lst was not
> > being
> > created and so I had to manually add it.
> > Upon booting I get the certain messages and then find myself in the
> > initramfs
> > prompt. I tried reinstalling the concerned packages but to no avail.
> >
> > Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom ...
> > mount: Mounting /root/dev on /dev/.static/dev failed: No such file or
> > directory
> > Done.
> > mount: Mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: No such file or directory
> > mount: Mounting /proc on /root/proc failed: No such file or directory
> > Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init
> > No init found. Try passing init= bootarg.
> >
> > Busybox.... Built-in shell (ash)
> > /bin/sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
> > (initramfs) /* prompt */
> >

> > --
> > Vikram Vincent
> > +919448810822
> > http://www.swatantra.org/
> > http://translate.swatantra.org/

Perhaps the depth of love can be calibrated by the number of different
selves that are actively involved in a given relationship.

Carl Sagan (Contact)

Jaime Ochoa Malagón
Arquitecto de Soluciones
Cel: +52 (55) 1021 0774

Old 08-05-2008, 10:36 PM
"Michael Habashy"

i appriciate your help.
i am not new to linux but i am new to lvm and raid and recovery.
if you give me some simple steps, i can follow.
i would really like the help because my main ssystem is down.
please provide step by step proceedure..to ensure that i get my system
up and running.
can you point me to a how-to or something ??

mjh

Old 08-05-2008, 10:41 PM
"Michael Habashy"

I do not know what caused the issue.
i know that i can boot from linux dvd and go to rescue mode.
No network support.
i can do mounts and stuff. ---just do not know what the next step would be.
mjh

Old 08-05-2008, 10:42 PM
"Michael Habashy"

i can not ftp,ssh,or scp files off the server.
is there another way to get the info you need?
mhj

Old 08-05-2008, 11:33 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 06:36:18PM -0400, Michael Habashy wrote:
> i appriciate your help.
> i am not new to linux but i am new to lvm and raid and recovery.
> if you give me some simple steps, i can follow.
> i would really like the help because my main ssystem is down.
> please provide step by step proceedure..to ensure that i get my system
> up and running.
> can you point me to a how-to or something ??

well, there is not a specific procedure because we don't really know
what went wrong. The lack of network support could prove to be a
problem.

Again, though, do you have another kernel to boot into? Do you get the
menu from grub that allows you to select different systems to boot? If
so, the immediate solution is to boot into an older kernel. Please let
us know if you can do that.

Also, from within grub, you can edit the

if you can't, then you'll need to chroot into the system from the
rescue cd. to do this, first make a directory to mount your system
to. I'll call it /mnt/target. Then mount your system there.

Once it's mounted, type this command

chroot /mnt/target

that will put you into a shell within the system. Take a look around
and see what you can see. Look in /boot to see if you have additional kernels

Old 08-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 06:36:18PM -0400, Michael Habashy wrote:
> i appriciate your help.
> i am not new to linux but i am new to lvm and raid and recovery.
> if you give me some simple steps, i can follow.
> i would really like the help because my main ssystem is down.
> please provide step by step proceedure..to ensure that i get my system
> up and running.
> can you point me to a how-to or something ??

sorry, I totally cut myself off in the last mail...

as I was saying, within grub, you can edit the boot commands. There
*should* be some backup initrd's you could try. From the grub menu
type 'e' for edit, then (doing this from memory) arrow down to the
initrd line and type 'e' to edit the line. Next, move to the end of
the line and delete your way back to the point where it says

initrd /initrd.img

and press tab a couple of times to get a tab-completion list of
available initrd's. review the list and find the one foro your
kernel. it should be initd.img-2.6.24-something... there should be one
with a .bak extension... that's the one to try and see if it will
boot.

please report back on the results

Old 08-05-2008, 11:46 PM
"Michael Habashy"

okay...i think i figured out my issue.
it is with raid.
i think i will need a way to check if raid devices are okay.
the system boots but it complains about md1 which is my root system.
i think md0 where my /boot ...everythign is okay there..
it looks like i lost 1 of my drives on md1 which is a raid5
device..but i still not able to boot.

mjh

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 7:37 PM, Andrew Sackville-West

Old 08-06-2008, 02:57 AM
Andrew Sackville-West

First, please don't top post. please intersperse your responses with
the appropriate parts like I do. Also, please don't reply to me
directly or include me in the reply. I read the list, so just reply to
that. I'll see your response.

On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 07:46:58PM -0400, Michael Habashy wrote:
> okay...i think i figured out my issue.
> it is with raid.

why do you think this? What evidence tells you this? have you looked
at /proc/mdstat?

> i think i will need a way to check if raid devices are okay.

cat /proc/mdstat should tell you.

> the system boots but it complains about md1 which is my root system.

okay. so it does boot? YOu are providing conflicting information.

> i think md0 where my /boot ...everythign is okay there..
> it looks like i lost 1 of my drives on md1 which is a raid5
> device..but i still not able to boot.

can you boot or not? please answer my questions about older kernels
and editing the grub initrd line.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:32 PM
"Michael Habashy"

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 10:57 PM, Andrew Sackville-West
<andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> First, please don't top post. please intersperse your responses with
> the appropriate parts like I do. Also, please don't reply to me
> directly or include me in the reply. I read the list, so just reply to
> that. I'll see your response.
>
> On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 07:46:58PM -0400, Michael Habashy wrote:
>> okay...i think i figured out my issue.
>> it is with raid.
>
> why do you think this? What evidence tells you this? have you looked
> at /proc/mdstat?
>
>> i think i will need a way to check if raid devices are okay.
>
> cat /proc/mdstat should tell you.
>
>> the system boots but it complains about md1 which is my root system.
>
> okay. so it does boot? YOu are providing conflicting information.
>
>> i think md0 where my /boot ...everythign is okay there..
>> it looks like i lost 1 of my drives on md1 which is a raid5
>> device..but i still not able to boot.
>
> can you boot or not? please answer my questions about older kernels
> and editing the grub initrd line.

>> mjh
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 7:37 PM, Andrew Sackville-West
>> <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > sorry, I totally cut myself off in the last mail...
>> >
>> > as I was saying, within grub, you can edit the boot commands. There
>> > *should* be some backup initrd's you could try. From the grub menu
>> > type 'e' for edit, then (doing this from memory) arrow down to the
>> > initrd line and type 'e' to edit the line. Next, move to the end of
>> > the line and delete your way back to the point where it says
>> >
>> > initrd /initrd.img
>> >
>> > and press tab a couple of times to get a tab-completion list of
>> > available initrd's. review the list and find the one foro your
>> > kernel. it should be initd.img-2.6.24-something... there should be one
>> > with a .bak extension... that's the one to try and see if it will
>> > boot.
>> >
>> > please report back on the results

> --

Okay - thanks for your reply..sorry about top posting..i am in
gmail..and it does what it wants.
So let me answer your questions:

>why do you think this? What evidence tells you this? have you looked
> at /proc/mdstat?

i looked into /proc/mdstat -- it has inactive raids.
I have tried to re-correct the problem by removing and adding to the raid.
it has not helped. I get : Block bitmap for group 1664 not in group
(block2195960)!
EXT3-fs: group descriptors corrupted!

Mounting /dev/mapper/vg_main-lv_root on /root failed: Invalid arguement.
then..there is a whole mess of failed scripts.

the system boots..it just goes into Busybox.
It never mounts any of the filesystems. the /boot filesystem seems to
be okay..because i create a directory and mount it there.
and i am able to see all the other kernels and grub directory too.
the issue comes when i try to mount my /dev/md1 which has / and /home
and all the other filesystems.
that has the lvm2 volume groups.

I think i need to get the error "Group descriptor corrupted" error fixed, yes?
how do i get past that?
i am able to boot into rescue mode and execute commands.
Please be more specific iwth the commands you want me to execute.

thanks

mjh