Old 08-05-2008, 08:53 PM
David Witbrodt

Default nVidia binary on 2.6.26

----- Original Message ----
> From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>

> My big problems now are:
> a) nvidia binary driver doesn't build on .26 (which I need for other
> reasons),

Sorry to hear that. I've been using the beta 177.13 driver for
quite a while now. I built a custom 2.6.26 kernel for my desktop
on Saturday, and nvidia 177.13 runs on it very nicely. In fact,
when I moved to 177.13 from the stable series, everything seemed to
move noticeably faster... I was very impressed and satisfied with
the results!

Dave W.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Ron Johnson

a) nvidia binary driver doesn't build on .26 (which I need for other
reasons),

Sorry to hear that. I've been using the beta 177.13 driver for
quite a while now. I built a custom 2.6.26 kernel for my desktop
on Saturday, and nvidia 177.13 runs on it very nicely. In fact,
when I moved to 177.13 from the stable series, everything seemed to
move noticeably faster... I was very impressed and satisfied with
the results!

Good to know. It's 173.14.05 (the latest stable) that doesn't build
with .26.

Where is the beta? Stable is at:
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Scientists are people, too. IOW, they also "crave power, money,
respect, and influence, and they also fear for their jobs. Each
can be a healthy motivator, but each has the ability to turn a
good scientist into a bad one; and in some cases, they can turn
a good scientist into a charlatan."
http://thefutureofthings.com/book/3/the-bomb-that-never-was.html

Old 08-05-2008, 10:29 PM
David Witbrodt

> Where is the beta? Stable is at:
> ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86

Browsing to nvidia.com gets you their funky home page, with a bunch
of useless links -- none pointing to driver downloads. Clicking on
just about anything, you then get pages that have a more useful top
menu, with "Download Drivers" at the upper left.

Clicking on that gets you to the standard download page:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

However, below the "GET DRIVERS BY PRODUCT" box, there is another box
called "OTHER DOWNLOADS & SUPPORT". The first link there is
"Beta and Archived Drivers":
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

Entering your product and OS info into the form gets you a box full
of results, with the stable drivers listed first and the beta drivers
(marked with a red "BETA") listed last. The driver I'm using is on a
line that reads like this:

Linux 64-bit Display Driver Version 177.13 BETA 177.13 June 17, 2008

I found out, the hard way, not to bookmark such links... because
whenever they alter their website those bookmarks go stale. I just
learned to find the drivers like a Windows-noob: point, click, point,
click, etc.

HTH,
Dave W.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Nick Lidakis

Ron Johnson wrote:

Where is the beta? Stable is at:
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86

You can also find it in updated sticky posts at the official Nvidia
Linux forum:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14

Old 08-06-2008, 05:11 AM
Kenward Vaughan

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 16:29 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 08/05/08 15:53, David Witbrodt wrote:

I've done alright with Sid's 173.14.09 driver and custom .26 kernel as
well. Haven't needed any speed recently, but its works alright.

The problems I have with X at this time are memory hog ones from other
apps.

Kenward
--
The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I
have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than

Old 08-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Mark Allums

a) nvidia binary driver doesn't build on .26 (which I need for other
reasons),

Sorry to hear that. I've been using the beta 177.13 driver for
quite a while now. I built a custom 2.6.26 kernel for my desktop
on Saturday, and nvidia 177.13 runs on it very nicely. In fact,
when I moved to 177.13 from the stable series, everything seemed to
move noticeably faster... I was very impressed and satisfied with
the results!

Good to know. It's 173.14.05 (the latest stable) that doesn't build
with .26.

Where is the beta? Stable is at:
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86

In fact, the latest stable nvidia nonfree driver is 173.14.12.

Do not go to the ftp site, go to

http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

I am currently using 173.14.09 on a custom 2.6.25-7 Debian kernel with
no issues.

Mark Allums

Old 08-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Mark Allums

Mark Allums wrote:

[...]

Let me add that that is the US English driver, there are also
international drivers available, you can start at:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

to find them.

These are *not* the Debian drivers!

Mark Allums