Old 08-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Default nVidia G70 with 32 bit Etch Problem

Thomas H. George wrote:
Objective: 32 bit chroot Etch on a system with an AMD 64 bit processor.
Problem: Incorrect video driver for nVidia G70 card.

To start I copied xorg.conf from the primary system - Lenny with an
x86_64 linux kernel image. The display works fine on the primary
system using the nv driver. When it failed on the chroot Etch I went
to the nVidia website and downloaded a program to produce a driver and
ran it from the chroot Etch. It detected the 64 bit processor and
aborted. Next I installed and ran nvidia-xconfig. This changed the
driver from nv to nvidia but when I tried to start gdm it failed with a
message "Failed to load module 'nvidia' (module does not exist, 0)"

Where can I find and download a binary nvidia driver?

Did you ask this question on the nVidia Linux forum?

Hugo

Old 08-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Paul Johnson

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 10:36 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:

> Where can I find and download a binary nvidia driver?

m-a a-i nvidia-kernel

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Old 08-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Paul Johnson

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 09:40 -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Thomas H. George wrote:
> > Objective: 32 bit chroot Etch on a system with an AMD 64 bit processor.
> > Problem: Incorrect video driver for nVidia G70 card.
> >
> > To start I copied xorg.conf from the primary system - Lenny with an
> > x86_64 linux kernel image. The display works fine on the primary
> > system using the nv driver. When it failed on the chroot Etch I went
> > to the nVidia website and downloaded a program to produce a driver and
> > ran it from the chroot Etch. It detected the 64 bit processor and
> > aborted. Next I installed and ran nvidia-xconfig. This changed the
> > driver from nv to nvidia but when I tried to start gdm it failed with a
> > message "Failed to load module 'nvidia' (module does not exist, 0)"
> >
> > Where can I find and download a binary nvidia driver?
> >

> Did you ask this question on the nVidia Linux forum?

That's not the best answer to this question, given that there is a
Debian way to do this, and it's in the wiki.

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca