Old 08-05-2008, 01:09 PM
andy

Default Benefits (and risks) of using Sid

Hi all

This is just a general enquiry about the benefits of using Sid on a
desktop or a workstation. Aside from obtaining up-to-the-minute software
(and related patches), are there any other benefits to using Sid? I am
aware of the risks - i.e. frequently broken applications - but to be
honest, how often does this happen?

Any thoughts (no flames please - I recycled my asbestos suit!!)

Cheers

Andy

Old 08-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Kent West

andy wrote:

Hi all

This is just a general enquiry about the benefits of using Sid on a
desktop or a workstation. Aside from obtaining up-to-the-minute
software (and related patches), are there any other benefits to using
Sid? I am aware of the risks - i.e. frequently broken applications -
but to be honest, how often does this happen?

I run Sid on my workstations; it's as stable as any Windows box I've
ever run

The read advantage of Sid over Testing is when breakage does occur. With
Testing, you may have to wait a week or two before the fix comes along;
with Sid, the fix is often available within a day or two (not always,
but often). The disadvantage is that breakage usually occurs more often
than in Testing, but as a general rule, such breakage is confined to a
small subset of the system (again, not always.)

Every once in a while a bug will creep in that will totally hose things
for a while, and may take some expertise and/or a learning curve to fix,
but like I say, my Sid experience over the past almost-decade has been
less-problematic than my Windows experiences over twice that time.

For a server or other mission-critical role, I'd suggest you stay with
Stable.

--
Kent West <")))><

Old 08-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Kent West

andy wrote:

Hi all

This is just a general enquiry about the benefits of using Sid on a
desktop or a workstation. Aside from obtaining up-to-the-minute
software (and related patches), are there any other benefits to using
Sid? I am aware of the risks - i.e. frequently broken applications -
but to be honest, how often does this happen?

I run Sid on my workstations; it's as stable as any Windows box I've
ever run

The real advantage of Sid over Testing is when breakage does occur. With

Old 08-05-2008, 01:33 PM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008, andy wrote:
> This is just a general enquiry about the benefits of using Sid on a
> desktop or a workstation. Aside from obtaining up-to-the-minute software
> (and related patches), are there any other benefits to using Sid? I am

Yes, but none that you can't get also from using testing and fetching
whatever extra packages you need ASAP directly from Sid.

> aware of the risks - i.e. frequently broken applications - but to be
> honest, how often does this happen?

Often enough. Really.

Henrique Holschuh