Old 08-05-2008, 05:43 AM
freeman

Default Official Release Update Method

I mean, is there a standard operating procedure for updating from one
release to the new stable? Or is it only a matter of what the release notes
say for each update?

I have been informed that it could be disastrous to simply change
sources.list from "etch" to "stable" and wait for the switch to lenny. I had
been under the impression that there is an upgrade period for every release
in which transitional packages are included with staged package upgrades for
the new stable release.

That then would represent the user's safest bet at not getting stuck with an
expiring OS.

If it is a case by case issue, it seems to put the user in an odd situation.
The user is stuck with an expiring OS, as sarge just did, or the user must
relearn the upgrade process for each new release.

TIA for any insight!

Old 08-05-2008, 07:17 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Mon,04.Aug.08, 22:43:32, freeman wrote:
> I mean, is there a standard operating procedure for updating from one
> release to the new stable? Or is it only a matter of what the release notes
> say for each update?

More or less yes.

> I have been informed that it could be disastrous to simply change
> sources.list from "etch" to "stable" and wait for the switch to lenny. I had
> been under the impression that there is an upgrade period for every release
> in which transitional packages are included with staged package upgrades for
> the new stable release.

Not really. When "lenny" will be released the symlink "stable" which now
points at "etch" will then point to "lenny".

> That then would represent the user's safest bet at not getting stuck with an
> expiring OS.

What is keeping you from upgrading?

> If it is a case by case issue, it seems to put the user in an odd situation.
> The user is stuck with an expiring OS, as sarge just did, or the user must
> relearn the upgrade process for each new release.
>
> TIA for any insight!

The release notes are documenting the recommended upgrade procedure and
also document various issues that you could encounter. Read the release
notes and upgrade. What seems to be the problem?

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 08-05-2008, 11:35 AM
Jochen Schulz

freeman:

> I mean, is there a standard operating procedure for updating from one
> release to the new stable? Or is it only a matter of what the release notes
> say for each update?

The standard procedure is always more or less the same. Edit
sources.list if it doesn't contain the new release yet, aptitude update,
aptitude upgrade, aptitude dist-upgrade.

But there a always a few pitfalls which you should know before
upgrading. That's why you should always read the release notes.

> I have been informed that it could be disastrous to simply change
> sources.list from "etch" to "stable" and wait for the switch to lenny.

The problem with this approach is that you might end up running into the
upgrade at an inconvenient time. If you stay with "etch" in your
sources.list, your system will never upgrade without your knowing.

> I had been under the impression that there is an upgrade period for
> every release in which transitional packages are included with staged
> package upgrades for the new stable release.

I don't think I understand what you mean. What you're saying sounds a
lot like the testing branch.

J.
--
I wish I could achieve a 'just stepped out of the salon' look more
often. Or at least once.