Old 08-04-2008, 10:34 PM
"Michal R. Hoffmann"

Default nautilus + smb connection to win2k problem

Hi,

Recently I have problems opening windows 2000 share in nautilus. It
opens, but after a few directory changes nautilus hangs and I have to
force it quit. Then I cannot reconnect to smb share anymore (until I
logout/login).

The interesting part is that KDE smb connection works (at least I can
start Krusader, connect to the share and copy files over) so it seems to
be a nautilus problem. Has anyone else experienced that problem recently?

Debian sid, x86_64

--
Kind regards,
Michal R. Hoffmann

Old 08-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Shachar Or

On Tuesday 05 August 2008 01:34, Michal R. Hoffmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently I have problems opening windows 2000 share in nautilus. It
> opens, but after a few directory changes nautilus hangs and I have to
> force it quit. Then I cannot reconnect to smb share anymore (until I
> logout/login).
>
> The interesting part is that KDE smb connection works (at least I can
> start Krusader, connect to the share and copy files over) so it seems to
> be a nautilus problem. Has anyone else experienced that problem recently?
>
> Debian sid, x86_64

Did you look at the bug reports?

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 08-04-2008, 10:54 PM
"Michal R. Hoffmann"

Recently I have problems opening windows 2000 share in nautilus. It
opens, but after a few directory changes nautilus hangs and I have to
force it quit. Then I cannot reconnect to smb share anymore (until I
logout/login).

The interesting part is that KDE smb connection works (at least I can
start Krusader, connect to the share and copy files over) so it seems to
be a nautilus problem. Has anyone else experienced that problem recently?

Debian sid, x86_64

Did you look at the bug reports?

Yes, but didn't find anything.

--
Kind regards,
Michal R. Hoffmann

Old 08-04-2008, 10:59 PM
Shachar Or

On Tuesday 05 August 2008 01:54, Michal R. Hoffmann wrote:
> On 04/08/08 23:38, Shachar Or wrote:
> > On Tuesday 05 August 2008 01:34, Michal R. Hoffmann wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Recently I have problems opening windows 2000 share in nautilus. It
> >> opens, but after a few directory changes nautilus hangs and I have to
> >> force it quit. Then I cannot reconnect to smb share anymore (until I
> >> logout/login).
> >>
> >> The interesting part is that KDE smb connection works (at least I can
> >> start Krusader, connect to the share and copy files over) so it seems to
> >> be a nautilus problem. Has anyone else experienced that problem
> >> recently?
> >>
> >> Debian sid, x86_64
> >
> > Did you look at the bug reports?
>
> Yes, but didn't find anything.

Report a bug, please.

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 08-05-2008, 12:57 PM
"Stackpole, Chris"

> From: Shachar Or [mailto:dawnlight@lavabit.com]
> Subject: Re: nautilus + smb connection to win2k problem
>
> On Tuesday 05 August 2008 01:54, Michal R. Hoffmann wrote:

> > > Did you look at the bug reports?
> >
> > Yes, but didn't find anything.
>
> Report a bug, please.
> >
> > --
> > Kind regards,
> > Michal R. Hoffmann
>
> --
> Shachar Or | שחר אור
> http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Actually, it is already a very well known bug in the Ubuntu world. At least this sounds exactly like the problem I am aware of.
We could mount the SMB share from the command line as well as with all kinds of other tools, but Nautilus just wouldn't do it.
In the Ubuntu world at least, it works just fine in Gutsy and Intrepid, but it doesn't work in the Hardy release.

I am going to need some time, but I can look for the links to the bug reports for you later today.

~S~

Old 08-05-2008, 02:08 PM
"Stackpole, Chris"

> From: Stackpole, Chris [mailto:CStackpole@barbnet.com]
> Subject: RE: nautilus + smb connection to win2k problem
>
> > From: Shachar Or [mailto:dawnlight@lavabit.com]
> > Subject: Re: nautilus + smb connection to win2k problem

> can
> seems

> > > Yes, but didn't find anything.
> >
> > Report a bug, please.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Kind regards,
> > > Michal R. Hoffmann
> >
> > --
> > Shachar Or | שחר אור
> > http://ox.freeallweb.org/
> >

> > --
> >

> Actually, it is already a very well known bug in the Ubuntu world. At
> least this sounds exactly like the problem I am aware of.
> We could mount the SMB share from the command line as well as with all
> kinds of other tools, but Nautilus just wouldn't do it.
> In the Ubuntu world at least, it works just fine in Gutsy and Intrepid,
> but it doesn't work in the Hardy release.
>
> I am going to need some time, but I can look for the links to the bug
> reports for you later today.
>
> ~S~

OK, so the bug report I was initially talking about has been rolled into another bug report that may not exactly be your problem...Sorry about that. Your description really did sound like the problem I was working with in Ubuntu.

Just in case this is related, here is what I have. If it is completely unrelated, sorry. :-[

Here are the bug reports that seems to be causing all the fuss in Ubuntu: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/209520
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gvfs/+bug/207072

It appears that the gvfs package is what is causing all of the problems.

The exact problem we were having was that under Gnome, browsing the network (Places->Network->Windows Network) we could see the shares, but trying to access them would either lock up the Nautilus window (had to be force quit and to see the computers again we had to restart samba) or it would just display an empty folder. Mounting the share manually on the command line worked. Using KDE worked. Opening Nautilus, File->Open Location->smb://server/share worked! Just we could not browse through Nautilus.

This particular problem has been around since the Hardy alpha release so there are plenty of bugs and forums posts.

At least to me, it sounds like what you have posted is similar to the problems we had/Ubuntu Hardy has. Are you using gvfs? Does this sound like your problem to you? Or am I just way off? :-P

Good luck and have fun!
~S~

Old 08-05-2008, 10:22 PM
"Michal R. Hoffmann"