Old 08-04-2008, 09:14 PM
"Adrian Levi"

Default Debian Sid first time user

2008/8/5 Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com>:
> Hi to all the Debian users community.
>
> I've been using Debian for a couple of years now (coming from Mandrakelinux)
> and have been happy with stable versions, Sarge and then Etch. Now for
> particular needs I want to try to use Sid with a > = 2.6.25-2-686 kernel.
>
> Please can anybody indicate how to fetch and install a Debian Sid distribution
> and how to manage it after installation (packages and so on)? I didn't find
> any help on www.debian.org. Besides, large downloads are not easy for my
> connection.
>
> Thanks in advance for any reply
> Rodolfo

I honestly inform you that you _are_not_ready_ for sid.

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Kent West

Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Hi to all the Debian users community.
>
> I've been using Debian for a couple of years now (coming from Mandrakelinux)
> and have been happy with stable versions, Sarge and then Etch. Now for
> particular needs I want to try to use Sid with a > = 2.6.25-2-686 kernel.
>
> Please can anybody indicate how to fetch and install a Debian Sid distribution
> and how to manage it after installation (packages and so on)? I didn't find
> any help on www.debian.org. Besides, large downloads are not easy for my
> connection.

Just add the sid repositories to your /etc/apt/sources.list file, like so:

> westk@westek:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
> # Unstable
> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main
> deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main
>
> # Testing
> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main
> deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main
>
> # Stable
> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ etch main
> deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ etch main
>
> # Security updates (Stable)
> deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib

then do "aptitude update" followed by "aptitude dist-upgrade".

Expect breakage.

--
Kent West <*)))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com

Old 08-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Jochen Schulz

Rodolfo Medina:

> Please can anybody indicate how to fetch and install a Debian Sid distribution

You have been using Debian and don't know how to do that? -Interesting.

You only have to add sid to your sources.list (copy existing lines and
replace etch/stable with sid) and then run aptitude update, upgrade,
safe-upgrade (new in lenny/sid) and full-upgrade.

> and how to manage it after installation (packages and so on)?

Just do regular upgrades to change the old bugs against new ones. Find
the BTS (Debian Bugtracking System) and learn how to use it.

> I didn't find any help on www.debian.org.

You didn't look close enough.

> Besides, large downloads are not easy for my
> connection.

This may be a problem since sid offers several megabytes of upgrades per
day.

J.
--
I cannot comprehend the idea of chemical and biological weapons.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 08-05-2008, 02:01 AM
Ron Johnson

On 08/04/08 16:26, Jochen Schulz wrote:

Rodolfo Medina:

Please can anybody indicate how to fetch and install a Debian Sid distribution

You have been using Debian and don't know how to do that? -Interesting.

Maybe he's a happy *user* of a relatively unchanging system.

You only have to add sid to your sources.list (copy existing lines and
replace etch/stable with sid) and then run aptitude update, upgrade,
safe-upgrade (new in lenny/sid) and full-upgrade.

and how to manage it after installation (packages and so on)?

Just do regular upgrades to change the old bugs against new ones. Find
the BTS (Debian Bugtracking System) and learn how to use it.

I didn't find any help on www.debian.org.

You didn't look close enough.

Besides, large downloads are not easy for my
connection.

This may be a problem since sid offers several megabytes of upgrades per
day.

I agree.

Rodolfo, if your main purpose for upgrading is to get a new kernel,
you probably should check out "backports" for a .25 kernel that you
can drop in Etch.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Scientists are people, too. IOW, they also "crave power, money,
respect, and influence, and they also fear for their jobs. Each
can be a healthy motivator, but each has the ability to turn a
good scientist into a bad one; and in some cases, they can turn
a good scientist into a charlatan."
http://thefutureofthings.com/book/3/the-bomb-that-never-was.html

Old 08-05-2008, 01:15 PM
"Javier Barroso"

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 11:14 PM, Adrian Levi <adrian.levi@gmail.com> wrote:

2008/8/5 Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com>:

> Hi to all the Debian users community.

> I've been using Debian for a couple of years now (coming from Mandrakelinux)

> and have been happy with stable versions, Sarge and then Etch. *Now for

> particular needs I want to try to use Sid with a > = 2.6.25-2-686 kernel.

> Please can anybody indicate how to fetch and install a Debian Sid distribution

> and how to manage it after installation (packages and so on)? *I didn't find

> any help on www.debian.org. *Besides, large downloads are not easy for my

> connection.

> Thanks in advance for any reply

> Rodolfo

I honestly inform you that you _are_not_ready_ for sid.
Always is there a first time to do the things.

Rodolfo, Sid hasn't got a installer, you have to install lenny / etch and then upgrade / full-upgrade to sid changing /etc/apt/sources.list as people said.

Like other* said too, a good connection is good for sid (because there are many changes daily)

Welcome to Debian Sid World !

Old 08-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Ron Johnson wrote:

[...]

I would recommend instead staying with a .24 kernel, unless you
specifically need the new devices supported in a .25 kernel.

The .24 kernel is TMM still the best recent kernel around:

1. Still has a -ck performance patch
2. One can still install VMware without patches

Hugo

Old 08-05-2008, 02:22 PM
Thomas Preud'homme

Tuesday 05 August 2008, Javier Barroso wrote*:
> On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 11:14 PM, Adrian Levi <adrian.levi@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > 2008/8/5 Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com>:
> > > Hi to all the Debian users community.
> > >
> > > I've been using Debian for a couple of years now (coming from
> >
> > Mandrakelinux)
> >
> > > and have been happy with stable versions, Sarge and then Etch.
> > > Now for particular needs I want to try to use Sid with a > =
> > > 2.6.25-2-686 kernel.
> > >
> > > Please can anybody indicate how to fetch and install a Debian Sid
> >
> > distribution
> >
> > > and how to manage it after installation (packages and so on)? I
> > > didn't
> >
> > find
> >
> > > any help on www.debian.org. Besides, large downloads are not
> > > easy for
> >
> > my
> >
> > > connection.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for any reply
> > > Rodolfo
> >
> > I honestly inform you that you _are_not_ready_ for sid.
>
> Always is there a first time to do the things.
>
> Rodolfo, Sid hasn't got a installer, you have to install lenny / etch
> and then upgrade / full-upgrade to sid changing /etc/apt/sources.list
> as people said.

Yes but you can install a Debian with a business card and then you have
the choice in the release you want to grab (stable, testing or
unstable).

> Like other said too, a good connection is good for sid (because
> there are many changes daily)
>
> Welcome to Debian Sid World !

Regards,

Thomas Preud'homme

--
Why Debian : http://www.debian.org/intro/why_debian

Old 08-05-2008, 04:05 PM
Ron Johnson

On 08/05/08 09:22, Thomas Preud'homme wrote:

Tuesday 05 August 2008, Javier Barroso wrote :

[snip]

Rodolfo, Sid hasn't got a installer, you have to install lenny / etch
and then upgrade / full-upgrade to sid changing /etc/apt/sources.list
as people said.

Yes but you can install a Debian with a business card and then you have
the choice in the release you want to grab (stable, testing or
unstable).

Except that OP is bandwidth-constrained.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Tue,05.Aug.08, 11:05:42, Ron Johnson wrote:

>> Yes but you can install a Debian with a business card and then you have
>> the choice in the release you want to grab (stable, testing or unstable).
>
> Except that OP is bandwidth-constrained.

Why would that be worse than a full-upgrade (dist-upgrade)?

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)