Old 08-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Kent West

Default kde4 without losing kde3?

I've found the installation instructions for installing KDE4 on my Sid
box (http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/experimental.html), but I'm
unclear if this supersedes my working KDE3 setup or not.

Can I use these instructions to install 4, and if 4 causes me to much
grief, be able to switch back to 3?

Or, if 4 doesn't work for me, can I purge the 4 packages, remove the
experimental stuff from my sources.list file, and reinstall 3 and be
back to normal? (Will I have to move my ~/.kde? directory? (I'll make a
backup of my version 3 .kde stuff first, just in case.))

Thanks!

--
Kent West <*)))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com

Old 08-04-2008, 03:03 PM
"Eugene V. Lyubimkin"

Kent West wrote:
> I've found the installation instructions for installing KDE4 on my Sid
> box (http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/experimental.html), but I'm
> unclear if this supersedes my working KDE3 setup or not.
>
> Can I use these instructions to install 4, and if 4 causes me to much
> grief, be able to switch back to 3?
>
> Or, if 4 doesn't work for me, can I purge the 4 packages, remove the
> experimental stuff from my sources.list file, and reinstall 3 and be
> back to normal? (Will I have to move my ~/.kde? directory? (I'll make a
> backup of my version 3 .kde stuff first, just in case.))
>
> Thanks!

Hi Kent! I was tried some kde4 packages from experimental (konqueror,
kmail, kget, akregator). At least akregator from kde3 is working fine
now for me.

--
Eugene V. Lyubimkin aka JackYF