Old 08-04-2008, 02:33 PM
"André Timpanaro"

Default Problem installing gcc4.1 with synaptic

I tried to install gcc4.1 using synaptic and got the following message:

Please insert the disk labeled:
Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r3 _Etch_ - Official amd64 NETINST Binary-1 20080218-14:10
in drive /cdrom/

I don't get it, is gcc not in the repository? (wtf?)

André Martin Timpanaro

Old 08-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Thomas Preud'homme

Monday 04 August 2008, André Timpanaro wrote*:
> I tried to install gcc4.1 using synaptic and got the following
> message:
>
> Please insert the disk labeled:
> Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r3 _Etch_ - Official amd64 NETINST Binary-1
> 20080218-14:10 in drive /cdrom/
>

> I don't get it, is gcc not in the repository? (wtf?)
>
> André Martin Timpanaro

Oh yes it is, I have it on my etch server. Could you show us your
sources.list please ?

Regards,

Thomas Preud'homme

--
Why Debian : http://www.debian.org/intro/why_debian

Old 08-04-2008, 02:52 PM
Brad Rogers

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 11:33:08 -0300
"André Timpanaro" <andre.timpa.deb@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello André,

> I tried to install gcc4.1 using synaptic and got the following
> message:
> Please insert the disk labeled:
> Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r3 _Etch_ - Official amd64 NETINST Binary-1
> 20080218-14:10 in drive /cdrom/
> I don't get it, is gcc not in the repository? (wtf?)

Comment out any references to CDs/DVDs in your etc/apt/sources.list and
it won't try to load packages from CD, but straight from the 'net.
IME, local sources take precedence. In this day of always on
connections, it might seem anachronistic to retain such reference by
default, but many people still use dial-up, so the CD references have
some value.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Black man got a lot of problems, but he don't mind throwing a brick
White Riot - The Clash

Old 08-04-2008, 02:58 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2008-08-04 16:33 +0200, André Timpanaro wrote:

> I tried to install gcc4.1 using synaptic and got the following message:
>
> Please insert the disk labeled:
> Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r3 _Etch_ - Official amd64 NETINST Binary-1 20080218-14:10
> in drive /cdrom/
>

> I don't get it, is gcc not in the repository? (wtf?)

It is, but if a package is in multiple repositories, apt will simply
choose the first entry. If you have a fast Internet connection and
don't want to fiddle around with the CD-ROM, just remove the entry for
it from your sources.list and run "apt-get update".

Sven

Old 08-04-2008, 06:25 PM
"André Timpanaro"

Thanks for the help, I just commented the CD-ROM entry.