Old 08-04-2008, 01:54 PM
Vwaju

Default need sarge

For historical reasons, I need to install sarge .

http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge has release information, but none
of the links on that page lead to a page where you can actually
*download* sarge.

I will need to download the basic sarge plumbing *and* I will need
access to a network mirror that has all the sarge packages.

Can someone give me a direction?

Thanks & Best Regards,

Vwaju
New York City

Old 08-04-2008, 02:28 PM
Daniel Watkins

Hi Vwaju,

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 06:54:29 -0700 (PDT)
Vwaju <lou@manhattanhandyman.com> wrote:
> For historical reasons, I need to install sarge .
>
> <snip>
>
> Can someone give me a direction?
I can't, I'm afraid, but I was wondering if you could expand on the
historical reasons that require sarge?

Dan

--
Daniel Watkins (Odd_Bloke)

Old 08-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Robert Hodgins

http://ftp.debian.org/dists/

Old 08-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Vwaju

On Aug 4, 10:40 am, Daniel Watkins <dan...@daniel-watkins.co.uk>
wrote:
> Hi Vwaju,
>
> On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 06:54:29 -0700 (PDT)Vwaju <l...@manhattanhandyman.com> wrote:
> > For historical reasons, I need to install sarge .
>
> > <snip>
>
> > Can someone give me a direction?
>
> I can't, I'm afraid, but I was wondering if you could expand on the
> historical reasons that require sarge?
>
> Dan
>
> --
> Daniel Watkins (Odd_Bloke)
>
> signature.asc
> 1KDownload

Thanks, Robert!

I downloaded Contents-i386.gz from http://ftp.debian.org/dists/sarge/.

As I understand it, this is not an archive, but a single compressed
file. I gunzipped it, which yields an 111MB file.

I am not sure what I have now. If this is sarge, how do I install it?

Dan --

Linux System Administration (O'reilly) is a cookbook how-to for
teaching Linux networking by builiding an internet server. It was
written when sarge was the current version of Debian. Unfortunately,
because of many changes between sarge and etch, the book seems to be
just about useless unless your running sarge. ( Unless, of course, you
already know how to build a Linux network server, but then why would
you do the project at all?)

Old 08-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Bas Roos

Vwaju,

wrote:
I downloaded Contents-i386.gz from http://ftp.debian.org/dists/sarge/.

As I understand it, this is not an archive, but a single compressed
file. I gunzipped it, which yields an 111MB file.

I am not sure what I have now. If this is sarge, how do I install it?

If you need to install it, I'd suggest downloading the installation CD's
(or the netinst, if you have a decent internet connection on the
computer you are going to install it on).

You can have a look at the list of mirrors here:
http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/

Not all contain older releases like sarge. One I found in Italy (not
sure if you're from there though ) is
http://debian.dynamica.it/images-i386/sarge/

Good luck!

Bas

Old 08-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Mark Allums

Vwaju wrote:

Thanks, Robert!

I downloaded Contents-i386.gz from http://ftp.debian.org/dists/sarge/.

As I understand it, this is not an archive, but a single compressed
file. I gunzipped it, which yields an 111MB file.

I am not sure what I have now. If this is sarge, how do I install it?

Dan --

Linux System Administration (O'reilly) is a cookbook how-to for
teaching Linux networking by builiding an internet server. It was
written when sarge was the current version of Debian. Unfortunately,
because of many changes between sarge and etch, the book seems to be
just about useless unless your running sarge. ( Unless, of course, you
already know how to build a Linux network server, but then why would
you do the project at all?)

Do I need to say it? Get a better book! Seriously, anything very
out-of-date will teach you some bad habits. Security stuff, in
particular. Amazon lists used books, try them. Or, if you boycott
Amazon for good and sufficient reasons, try http://www.nerdbooks.com/ .

Mark Allums

Old 08-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Shachar Or

On Monday 04 August 2008 21:06, Mark Allums wrote:
> Vwaju wrote:
> > Thanks, Robert!
> >
> > I downloaded Contents-i386.gz from http://ftp.debian.org/dists/sarge/.
> >
> > As I understand it, this is not an archive, but a single compressed
> > file. I gunzipped it, which yields an 111MB file.
> >
> > I am not sure what I have now. If this is sarge, how do I install it?
> >
> > Dan --
> >
> > Linux System Administration (O'reilly) is a cookbook how-to for
> > teaching Linux networking by builiding an internet server. It was
> > written when sarge was the current version of Debian. Unfortunately,
> > because of many changes between sarge and etch, the book seems to be
> > just about useless unless your running sarge. ( Unless, of course, you
> > already know how to build a Linux network server, but then why would
> > you do the project at all?)
>
> Do I need to say it? Get a better book! Seriously, anything very
> out-of-date will teach you some bad habits. Security stuff, in
> particular. Amazon lists used books, try them. Or, if you boycott
> Amazon for good and sufficient reasons, try http://www.nerdbooks.com/ .

I repeat the above. Don't use "old" software in this regard.

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 08-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Ansgar Burchardt

Hi,

Vwaju <lou@manhattanhandyman.com> writes:

> I downloaded Contents-i386.gz from http://ftp.debian.org/dists/sarge/.
>
> As I understand it, this is not an archive, but a single compressed
> file. I gunzipped it, which yields an 111MB file.
>
> I am not sure what I have now. If this is sarge, how do I install it?

This file is used by apt. Normally there is no need to look at it
yourself.

You can get Debian Sarge from [1] (as I already said in [2]). Please
remember that there are no security updates provided since end of
March 2008 [3], and thus you should (at least) not offer services on a
public network.

Regards,
Ansgar

[1] http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/debian-installer/
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2008/08/msg00042.html
[3] http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/

--
PGP: 1024D/595FAD19 739E 2D09 0969 BEA9 9797 B055 DDB0 2FF7 595F AD19

Old 08-06-2008, 03:14 AM
"s. keeling"

Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@2008.43-1.org>:
> Vwaju <lou@manhattanhandyman.com> writes:
> >
> > I downloaded Contents-i386.gz from http://ftp.debian.org/dists/sarge/.
> >
> > As I understand it, this is not an archive, but a single compressed
> > file. I gunzipped it, which yields an 111MB file.
> >
> > I am not sure what I have now. If this is sarge, how do I install it?
>
> This file is used by apt. Normally there is no need to look at it
> yourself.
>
> You can get Debian Sarge from [1] (as I already said in [2]). Please
> remember that there are no security updates provided since end of
> March 2008 [3], and thus you should (at least) not offer services on a
> public network.
>
> [1] http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/debian-installer/
> [2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2008/08/msg00042.html
> [3] http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/

For the archives:

install sarge # [1]
edit /etc/apt/sources.list to include etch # s/sarge/etch/g
# s/stable/testing/g

# think before doing!
#
# Aiiiieeeee!

root> apt-get update && apt-get install aptitude && aptitude update
&& aptitude upgrade && aptitude dist-upgrade && aptitude
install jackd rosegarden emacs gkrellm fluxbox ...

Make sure you're having fun. It's important.