Old 08-04-2008, 12:19 PM
"Vara Prasad Pepakayala"

Default How To?

Hi Team, I have made a little progress today. I have decided to create my own task and started designing some cursors for the "Gear theme" for F10. I couldn't get any queued task.So, I have tookup this job.* Can anyone direct me, what should I do next...

Thankyou..
Dreko

Old 08-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Nicu Buculei

Vara Prasad Pepakayala wrote:
Hi Team, I have made a little progress today. I have decided to create
my own task and started designing some* cursors for the "Gear theme" for
F10*. I couldn't get any queued task.So, I have tookup this job. Can
anyone direct me, what should I do next...

Post here about your concepts, sketches, work in progress, results and
so on, we'll try to give feedback.

As documentation for creating a cursor theme you can look at the source
codes for Bluecurve (we still use the icon theme from Bluecurve):
https://fedorahosted.org/bluecurve/browser/bluecurve/cursors

As you can see, we need 4 versions of the theme: normal, inverse (for
inversed, white on black themes) and left-handed normal and inversed.
Also, for each theme are defined 3 sizes: 24x24, 36x36 and 48x48.

Also you will see multiple sheets for one size, those contain only the
succesive frames of a couple of icons which are animated.

With all those said, consider that "Gears" is only a theme proposal and
it may not make final, so before going into great work publish some
sketches.
Also, if you like the theme concept, you can come with some improved,
Round 2-worthy, Gears graphics for the theme itself.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:42 PM
"Vara Prasad Pepakayala"

Thanks for the support Nicu. Appending one more thing... I am a bit less informative regarding the linux packaging and cursor extensions.. can i post them in .ico or .png* formats and for animated one in .gif formats?

http://factsrevised.blogspot.com

Old 08-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Nicu Buculei

Vara Prasad Pepakayala wrote:
Thanks for the support Nicu. Appending one more thing... I am a bit less
informative regarding the linux packaging and cursor extensions.. can i
post them in .ico or .png formats and for animated one in .gif formats?

The best thing is to provide a png and if this is the case, a source
file too (.xcf if you worked in GIMP with additional features or SVG is
you worked with Inkscape).

For animation, do not use GIF because it stores images with indexed
colors (so no alpha transparency), destroying the antialiasing on edges.
Better provide multiple frames as individual PNG files.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Nicu Buculei

Vara Prasad Pepakayala wrote:
Thanks for the support Nicu. Appending one more thing... I am a bit less
informative regarding the linux packaging and cursor extensions.. can i
post them in .ico or .png formats and for animated one in .gif formats?

And sorry for not giving this link earlier, I just did a search or our
wiki (remembering an old discussion on the list):

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/EchoCursors

In the end you will have to convert the PNGs to another format, but PNg
is good for previewing.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Martin Sourada

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 20:12 +0530, Vara Prasad Pepakayala wrote:
> Thanks for the support Nicu. Appending one more thing... I am a bit
> less informative regarding the linux packaging and cursor extensions..
> can i post them in .ico or .png formats and for animated one in .gif
> formats?

I've done some research on cursor themes in the past, but the idea of
adding cursor theme to Echo was rather abandoned. Still, some of the
information I gathered [1], even though the wiki page is a little bit
outdated and need some fixes, might be helpful for you.

In that time I used to generate the final cursor file using xcursorgen
(IIRC it's in Fedora repos) from LD_arrow48a.png using arrow.config (to
generate arrow cursor) file with this content:

40 0 0 LD_arrow48a.png

If you feel like you might add/update some information on the wiki page,
feel free to do so, we might reconsider creating the echo-cursor-theme
in the future (currently we put our efforts into the echo-icon-theme).

If you wish for more info, just send another mail to the art list. I'll
try to help you as much as I can.

Martin