Old 08-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Antonio Diaz

Default dhclient & booting

Hi

I'm using Debian Sid (kernel 2.6.26). I need to configure the eth0 so
it uses the dhcp. In my case the "dhclient" never gets response at boot
time. Later, I have to restart the service "/etc/init.d/networking" to
get a IP. Sometimes I've also problems at this point. I don't not why
but sometimes I've to restart this service several times in order to get
a IP. May be it's because of the network module but it's also true that
it works fine whenever I configure it to use static ip address.

To configure the "eth0" interface I write the following lines in the
"interfaces" file:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Shachar Or

On Monday 04 August 2008 00:56, Antonio Diaz wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm using Debian Sid (kernel 2.6.26). I need to configure the eth0 so
> it uses the dhcp. In my case the "dhclient" never gets response at boot
> time. Later, I have to restart the service "/etc/init.d/networking" to
> get a IP. Sometimes I've also problems at this point. I don't not why
> but sometimes I've to restart this service several times in order to get
> a IP. May be it's because of the network module but it's also true that
> it works fine whenever I configure it to use static ip address.

Could be a problem with the dchp server. Have you tested the dhcp server with
a different client; a different machine?

Could be a problem with the network adapter or the module. Try a different
adapter in the box?

Try a different kernel?

Try a different dhcp client?

Have you any iptables rules set that could interfere?

Did you check dmesg?

Perhaps try to change the interface's mac address?

> To configure the "eth0" interface I write the following lines in the
> "interfaces" file:
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp

This seems fine. Is there anything else in the file that could interfere?

--
Shachar Or | 砖讞专 讗讜专
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 08-04-2008, 08:56 AM
Antegallya

Hi,
I'm using Debian Sid too, and I have the same problem but for me it
is on wlan0 interface and I don't have any problem with eth0.
The problem appears on several wireless access points with or without
encryption, strangely, on some access points it "works better" than on
others (another machine had no problem with those AP).
I had the problem on different kernel version.
The machine is a Dell inspiron 1501, and others who are using the same
model don't encounter that problem but they all use Ubuntu
(www.ubuntu1501.com).
I didn't go further in testing.

Hope this can help in some way, I will do some other tests.

Regards

Old 08-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Antonio Diaz

Ok, I should have written a bit more. Maybe these points are helpful:

* I've also installed Windows XP on my laptop and it works fine so I'm
sure that the problem has to do with my linux configuration.

* I've tested different kernel versions (three of them).

* "dmesg" seems to say that the interface eth0 is fine. The module that
the network card needs to work is being loaded successfully (sky2)

* However, the wireless interface (wlan0) works fine. It gets an IP
from the same DHCP server without any problem.

* The "messages" file writes the following message whenever I attempt
to get an IP: "no IPv6 routers present". I've been reading about it but
people are not agree with this point. Some of them think that it is not
important at all and others think that it's necessary to disable IPv6.
For example:

The most strange point is that sometimes the network card gets an IP
without problem... but very few times.

Thank you for your reply. I'd appreciate any help.

Regards,

Shachar Or escribi贸:

[...]

LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:40 PM
Shachar Or

On Monday 04 August 2008 22:25, Antonio Diaz wrote:
> Ok, I should have written a bit more. Maybe these points are helpful:
>
> * I've also installed Windows XP on my laptop and it works fine so I'm
> sure that the problem has to do with my linux configuration.
>
> * I've tested different kernel versions (three of them).
>
> * "dmesg" seems to say that the interface eth0 is fine. The module that
> the network card needs to work is being loaded successfully (sky2)
>
> * However, the wireless interface (wlan0) works fine. It gets an IP
> from the same DHCP server without any problem.
>
> * The "messages" file writes the following message whenever I attempt
> to get an IP: "no IPv6 routers present". I've been reading about it but
> people are not agree with this point. Some of them think that it is not
> important at all and others think that it's necessary to disable IPv6.
> For example:
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-222010.html

There shouldn't be a problem with the absence of ipv6 routers.

> The most strange point is that sometimes the network card gets an IP
> without problem... but very few times.

I'd say there's a problem with the driver. That sky2 module may have a bug.
Can you replace this NIC with a different one or plug an additional one in to
work around this?

--
Shachar Or | 砖讞专 讗讜专
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 08-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Antegallya

Hi,
> Could be a problem with the network adapter or the module. Try a
> different adapter in the box?

for me using an alternative module solved the problem.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Shachar Or

On Monday 04 August 2008 23:57, Antegallya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Could be a problem with the network adapter or the module. Try a
> > different adapter in the box?
>
> for me using an alternative module solved the problem.

Mind saying what module, exactly and where you got it from?

--
Shachar Or | 砖讞专 讗讜专
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 08-05-2008, 06:21 AM
Antegallya

Hi,
> Mind saying what module, exactly and where you got it from?
Sorry, I have a broadcom 4311 rev 1 and from an old install I was
using the ndiswrapper module, I've switched to b43 from the debian/
testing repository (I'm gently switching from unstable to testing).

Antonio Diaz,
Maybe could you give us your card's name with lspci ?

Regards