Old 08-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Jude DaShiell

Default how to close port 113

Install and run arno-iptables-firewall and tell it your internet port like
eth0 or ppp0 and leave the rest of the defaults alone. Port 113 will be
closed once this is done since one of the defaults with
arno-iptables-firewall is to first deny all portsthen only open up those
you specifically choose to open.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Jan Willem Stumpel

Jude DaShiell wrote:
> Install and run arno-iptables-firewall and tell it your
> internet port like eth0 or ppp0 and leave the rest of the
> defaults alone. Port 113 will be closed once this is done
> since one of the defaults with arno-iptables-firewall is to
> first deny all ports then only open up those you specifically
> choose to open.

In general my advice would be to make your system secure /without/
a firewall. I.e. do not run services that you do not need, and
make the ones you /do/ need only accessible from the LAN, not from
the outside world. Then, you can run a firewall as a double
security. It is dangerous to rely on firewalls only for security
because it so easy to make mistakes with them.

Regards, Jan