FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-03-2008, 05:48 PM
Frank McCormick
 
Default Mplayer plugin

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1



It seems Firefox uses the mplayer plugin for many if not most of the
movies and feeds on many sites. But in my system is doesn't work most of
the time. The mplayer window comes up (full screen once in a while), I
click play...it says getting playlist...connecting to whatever then that's
it. Clicking play again simply repeats the whole process.

I have tried turning various features on and off but can't seem to find
the combination that works. My latest problem is videos from the nasa.gov
site.

Can anyone offer any advice ?


Thanks

- --
Frank -- debian@videotron.ca
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAkiV72wACgkQnQV1aTcQlJvJ4QCeLIdIfVG7lg ybKm6hbBHHCXUW
D+kAnihKBXoUtkUWizjyedO1RAppu/j3
=SkxM
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 08-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Shachar Or
 
Default Mplayer plugin

On Sunday 03 August 2008 20:48, Frank McCormick wrote:
> It seems Firefox uses the mplayer plugin for many if not most of the
> movies and feeds on many sites. But in my system is doesn't work most of
> the time. The mplayer window comes up (full screen once in a while), I
> click play...it says getting playlist...connecting to whatever then that's
> it. Clicking play again simply repeats the whole process.
>
> I have tried turning various features on and off but can't seem to find
> the combination that works. My latest problem is videos from the nasa.gov
> site.
>
> Can anyone offer any advice ?

Switch to vlc, perhaps.

>
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Frank -- debian@videotron.ca

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 08-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Jonathan Kaye
 
Default Mplayer plugin

Frank McCormick wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
>
>
> It seems Firefox uses the mplayer plugin for many if not most of the
> movies and feeds on many sites. But in my system is doesn't work most of
> the time. The mplayer window comes up (full screen once in a while), I
> click play...it says getting playlist...connecting to whatever then that's
> it. Clicking play again simply repeats the whole process.
>
> I have tried turning various features on and off but can't seem to find
> the combination that works. My latest problem is videos from the nasa.gov
> site.
>
> Can anyone offer any advice ?
>
>
> Thanks
>
Hi Frank,
The videos on the NASA site play on my FFx with no problems. I'm using FFx
3.0.1 on Debian Lenny with the mplayerplug-in plugin dated 2007/1/7.
Cheers,
Jonathan
--
Registerd Linux user #445917 at http://counter.li.org/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 08-05-2008, 12:12 AM
chris
 
Default Mplayer plugin

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 13:48:28 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
>
>
> It seems Firefox uses the mplayer plugin for many if not most of the
> movies and feeds on many sites.

That's because you've installed it

> But in my system is doesn't work most of
> the time. The mplayer window comes up (full screen once in a while), I
> click play...it says getting playlist...connecting to whatever then
> that's it. Clicking play again simply repeats the whole process.

I've seen that too: getting playlist, stop. getting playlist, stop. So I
thought "to hell with it" and started using the totem-mozilla plugin
instead. So there you go, that's my advice!

btw. I use swiftfox. It just seems swifter..


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-14-2009, 01:19 AM
"Michael P. Soulier"
 
Default mplayer plugin

So, I noticed this on an emerge

!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

www-client/mozilla-firefox:0

('ebuild', '/', 'www-client/mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.19', 'merge') pulled in by
=www-client/mozilla-firefox-2* required by ('installed', '/',
'net-www/mplayerplug-in-3.50', 'nomerge')
(and 1 more)

('installed', '/', 'www-client/mozilla-firefox-3.0.5', 'nomerge') pulled in
by
www-client/mozilla-firefox required by world

So, I interpret this as the mplayer plugin not being available for firefox
3.0, which is why it's pulling in the 2.0 stream. So, my best solution is
probably just to uninstall the mplayer plugin, is that right?

It seems to work fine in firefox 3.0. If I want to run the risk and keep it,
is masking out firefox 2.0 the way to go?

Thanks,
Mike
--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@digitaltorque.ca>
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a
touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
--Albert Einstein
 
Old 01-14-2009, 01:27 AM
Paul Hartman
 
Default mplayer plugin

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 8:19 PM, Michael P. Soulier
<msoulier@digitaltorque.ca> wrote:
> So, I noticed this on an emerge
>
> !!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
> !!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:
>
> www-client/mozilla-firefox:0
>
> ('ebuild', '/', 'www-client/mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.19', 'merge') pulled in by
> =www-client/mozilla-firefox-2* required by ('installed', '/',
> 'net-www/mplayerplug-in-3.50', 'nomerge')
> (and 1 more)
>
> ('installed', '/', 'www-client/mozilla-firefox-3.0.5', 'nomerge') pulled in
> by
> www-client/mozilla-firefox required by world
>
> So, I interpret this as the mplayer plugin not being available for firefox
> 3.0, which is why it's pulling in the 2.0 stream. So, my best solution is
> probably just to uninstall the mplayer plugin, is that right?
>
> It seems to work fine in firefox 3.0. If I want to run the risk and keep it,
> is masking out firefox 2.0 the way to go?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

After getting fed up with emerge/compile issues with mplayerplug-in i
switched to net-www/gecko-mediaplayer and it seems to work okay.

Paul
 
Old 01-14-2009, 01:29 AM
"Nick Cunningham"
 
Default mplayer plugin

2009/1/14 Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@digitaltorque.ca>

So, I noticed this on an emerge



!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled

!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:



www-client/mozilla-firefox:0



*('ebuild', '/', 'www-client/mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.19', 'merge') pulled in by

* *=www-client/mozilla-firefox-2* required by ('installed', '/',

'net-www/mplayerplug-in-3.50', 'nomerge')

* *(and 1 more)



*('installed', '/', 'www-client/mozilla-firefox-3.0.5', 'nomerge') pulled in

by

* *www-client/mozilla-firefox required by world



So, I interpret this as the mplayer plugin not being available for firefox

3.0, which is why it's pulling in the 2.0 stream. So, my best solution is

probably just to uninstall the mplayer plugin, is that right?



It seems to work fine in firefox 3.0. If I want to run the risk and keep it,

is masking out firefox 2.0 the way to go?



Thanks,

Mike

--

Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@digitaltorque.ca>

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a

touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."

--Albert Einstein


Perhaps the better solution is to move to the new gecko-mediaplayer which is built for firefox 3 and is the successor to mplayer-plugin.

- Nick
 
Old 01-14-2009, 09:00 AM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default mplayer plugin

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 21:19:04 -0500, Michael P. Soulier wrote:

> So, I interpret this as the mplayer plugin not being available for
> firefox 3.0, which is why it's pulling in the 2.0 stream. So, my best
> solution is probably just to uninstall the mplayer plugin, is that
> right?

It's because you're trying to emerge it with the firefox USE flag. Remove
that from make.conf and use xulrunner instead.


--
Neil Bothwick

Forget the Joneses...I can't keep up with The Simpsons.
 
Old 01-14-2009, 09:01 AM
KH
 
Default mplayer plugin

Michael P. Soulier schrieb:
> So, I noticed this on an emerge
>
> !!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
> !!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:
>
> www-client/mozilla-firefox:0
>
> ('ebuild', '/', 'www-client/mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.19', 'merge') pulled in by
> =www-client/mozilla-firefox-2* required by ('installed', '/',
> 'net-www/mplayerplug-in-3.50', 'nomerge')
> (and 1 more)
>
> ('installed', '/', 'www-client/mozilla-firefox-3.0.5', 'nomerge') pulled in
> by
> www-client/mozilla-firefox required by world
>
> So, I interpret this as the mplayer plugin not being available for firefox
> 3.0, which is why it's pulling in the 2.0 stream. So, my best solution is
> probably just to uninstall the mplayer plugin, is that right?
>
> It seems to work fine in firefox 3.0. If I want to run the risk and keep it,
> is masking out firefox 2.0 the way to go?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
Hi,

since I am using net-www/netscape-flash-10.0.21.1_alpha ~amd64 I did not
have the need to install mplayerplug-in anymore. I would try the
mplayerplug-in-3.55.
Have a look at xulrunner. It might be causing the downgread problem.

kh
 
Old 01-14-2009, 12:57 PM
Allan Gottlieb
 
Default mplayer plugin

At Wed, 14 Jan 2009 10:00:41 +0000 Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 21:19:04 -0500, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
>
>> So, I interpret this as the mplayer plugin not being available for
>> firefox 3.0, which is why it's pulling in the 2.0 stream. So, my best
>> solution is probably just to uninstall the mplayer plugin, is that
>> right?
>
> It's because you're trying to emerge it with the firefox USE flag. Remove
> that from make.conf and use xulrunner instead.

I have both USE flags and have *noticed* any problems. However, I
prefer to avoid rather than fix problems. Can you point me at
documentation for when one should have firefox and/or xulrunner USE
flags?

Running: stable amd64 and stable x86.
Installed: firefox 3.0.5 and (xulrunner 1.8.1.19 and 1.9.0.5)

thanks
allan
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:44 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org