Old 08-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Hendrik Boom

Default NFS is working again, but problem not solved.

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 11:42:04 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> At home we have a file server (called april), which provides a central
> filesystem (called /farhome) containing everyone's home directory.
>
> It's been working fine for years, until yesterday,
>
> Suddenly one of our machines (called shadow) cannot mount /farhome, ans
> instead gets mount timeouts.

And now it's working again. See below.

> Another machine (called lovesong), which has /farhome slready mounted, just
> keeps working.
>
> Frankly, I'm afraid to reboot lovesong in case we end up havein go run all
> our programs directly on the file server.
>
> As far as I know, nothing has changed in the systen set-up. WHich
> probably just shows how little I know. I have been doing regular security
> updates on the server, of course; I don't know when the most recent one
> was. april runs etch, with kernel 2.6.18-6-amd64. I tried rebooting april
> into an older kernel 2.6.18-3-amd64. It didn't help.
>
> I can ping esily between the two boxes. I can ssh from shadow to april,
> too, so connectivity shouldn't be a problem. The permissions in
> /etc/exports are the same as always, and identify the machines by IP
> number, so DNS failure shouldn't be relevant.
>
> Does anyone have deas how to track this down?

While mfs mounting wasn't working, our LAN was disconnected from the wider
internet. Although all the machines in question could talk to each
other, the DSL link to the rest of the world was down because of ISP
failure. Now it's up again, and NFS mounting works fine again.

So why does nfs need access to the wider internet?

hendrik

Old 08-04-2008, 02:13 AM
Andrew Reid

On Sunday 03 August 2008 13:36, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> While mfs mounting wasn't working, our LAN was disconnected from the wider
> internet. Although all the machines in question could talk to each
> other, the DSL link to the rest of the world was down because of ISP
> failure. Now it's up again, and NFS mounting works fine again.
>
> So why does nfs need access to the wider internet?

Does something in your exports file depend on a network
service? NIS/LDAP database for host groups, name resolution
for allowed hosts, or for the NIS/LDAP host?

Just guessing.

-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net

Old 08-04-2008, 02:15 AM
Andrew Reid

On Sunday 03 August 2008 22:13, Andrew Reid wrote:
> On Sunday 03 August 2008 13:36, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > While mfs mounting wasn't working, our LAN was disconnected from the
> > wider internet. Although all the machines in question could talk to each
> > other, the DSL link to the rest of the world was down because of ISP
> > failure. Now it's up again, and NFS mounting works fine again.
> >
> > So why does nfs need access to the wider internet?
>
> Does something in your exports file depend on a network
> service? NIS/LDAP database for host groups, name resolution
> for allowed hosts, or for the NIS/LDAP host?

Replying to myself here, I see that you already
mentioned /etc/exports uses IP numbers, so my guess has already
been eliminated.

-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net

Old 08-04-2008, 02:27 AM
Hendrik Boom

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 22:15:25 -0400, Andrew Reid wrote:

> On Sunday 03 August 2008 22:13, Andrew Reid wrote:
>> On Sunday 03 August 2008 13:36, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>> > While mfs mounting wasn't working, our LAN was disconnected from the
>> > wider internet. Although all the machines in question could talk to each
>> > other, the DSL link to the rest of the world was down because of ISP
>> > failure. Now it's up again, and NFS mounting works fine again.
>> >
>> > So why does nfs need access to the wider internet?
>>
>> Does something in your exports file depend on a network
>> service? NIS/LDAP database for host groups, name resolution
>> for allowed hosts, or for the NIS/LDAP host?
>
> Replying to myself here, I see that you already
> mentioned /etc/exports uses IP numbers, so my guess has already
> been eliminated.

Jest to erase all doubts, here is the /etc/exports file on april:

-- A.
# /etc/exports: the access control list for filesystems which may be exported
# to NFS clients. See exports(5).
#/farhome 172.25.1.2(rw,sync,no_root_squash,map_identity) 172.25.1.3(rw,sync,no_root_squash,map_identity) 172.25.1.4(rw,sync,no_root_squash,map_identity) 172.25.1.9(rw,sync,no_root_squash,map_identity) 172.25.1.12(rw,sync,no_root_squash,map_identity)
172.25.1.32(rw,sync,no_root_squash,map_identity) 172.25.1.33(rw,sync,no_root_squash,map_identity) 172.25.1.6(rw,sync,no_root_squash,map_identity) 172.25.1.8(rw,sync,no_root_squash,map_identity) 172.25.1.13(rw,sync,no_root_squash,map_identity)
/farhome 172.25.1.2(rw,sync,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check ) 172.25.1.3(rw,sync,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check ) 172.25.1.4(rw,sync,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check ) 172.25.1.9(rw,sync,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check ) 172.25.1.12(rw,sync,no_root_squash,no_subtree_chec k) 172.25.1.32(rw,sync,no_root_squash,no_subtree_chec k) 172.25.1.33(rw,sync,no_root_squash,no_subtree_chec k) 172.25.1.6(rw,sync,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check ) 172.25.1.8(rw,sync,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check ) 172.25.1.13(rw,sync,no_root_squash,no_subtree_chec k)
/usr 172.25.1.4(rw,sync,no_root_squash,map_identity)

Funny. When I cut and pasted it into this page if but a line break in
front of the entry for 172.25.1.32 in teh commented-out line. No such line
break appears in the actual file (I checked using emacs). It inserted no
such line break in the non-commented-out lines.

-- hendrik

Old 08-04-2008, 04:41 AM
Alex Samad

On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 02:27:01AM +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 22:15:25 -0400, Andrew Reid wrote:

[snip]

> /usr 172.25.1.4(rw,sync,no_root_squash,map_identity)

what about map_identity ? you using nis/ldap ?

> Funny. When I cut and pasted it into this page if but a line break in
> front of the entry for 172.25.1.32 in teh commented-out line. No such line
> break appears in the actual file (I checked using emacs). It inserted no
> such line break in the non-commented-out lines.
>
> -- hendrik

"It's unacceptable to think that there's any kind of comparison between the behavior of the United States of America and the action of Islamic extremists who kill innocent women and children to achieve an objective."

- George W. Bush
09/15/2006
Washington, DC
White House Press Conference

Old 08-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Hendrik Boom

On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 14:41:04 +1000, Alex Samad wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 02:27:01AM +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>> On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 22:15:25 -0400, Andrew Reid wrote:
>>

> [snip]
>
>> /usr 172.25.1.4(rw,sync,no_root_squash,map_identity)
>
> what about map_identity ? you using nis/ldap ?

Not that I'm aware of. Not unless Debian introduced it without telling
me. They don't sound like services I could be using without being aware
of it, but ... is there an easy way of telling whether they are operating?

Incidentally, while the NFS outage happened, I set up shadow (the NFS
client above) to serve one of its partitions to another machine on the
net, and that worked, so it looks as if the problem was specific to april
as NFS server (or shadow as NFS client). Now what's different about
april is:
It's an AMD64 running in 64-bit mode.
It is running etch/stable. All the others are running lenny.
The partition being shared out is an LLVM partition on RAID1.
Is it conceivable that the kernel NFS server in etch fails to start up
without DNS being available to interpret the configuration file, even if
no domain names appear in it?

If there's any chance of it, I might be able to reproduce the situation
that obtained on Saturday on by shutting off the DSL modem and serving
NFS from another machine that's dual-boot etch and lenny. It that works
(i.e.failes properly) it will probably be an etch-specific problem, and
the looming upgrade of our server to lenny will fix the problem.

-- hendrik

Old 08-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Alex Samad

On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 02:43:06PM +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 14:41:04 +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 02:27:01AM +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> >> On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 22:15:25 -0400, Andrew Reid wrote:
> >>

> > [snip]
> >
> >> /usr 172.25.1.4(rw,sync,no_root_squash,map_identity)
> >
> > what about map_identity ? you using nis/ldap ?
>
> Not that I'm aware of. Not unless Debian introduced it without telling
> me. They don't sound like services I could be using without being aware
> of it, but ... is there an easy way of telling whether they are operating?
just a guess, I was presuming that mapping looks at names not numbers,
if that is the case then a lookup needs to be done.

> Incidentally, while the NFS outage happened, I set up shadow (the NFS
> client above) to serve one of its partitions to another machine on the
> net, and that worked, so it looks as if the problem was specific to april
> as NFS server (or shadow as NFS client). Now what's different about
> april is:
> It's an AMD64 running in 64-bit mode.
> It is running etch/stable. All the others are running lenny.
> The partition being shared out is an LLVM partition on RAID1.
> Is it conceivable that the kernel NFS server in etch fails to start up
> without DNS being available to interpret the configuration file, even if
> no domain names appear in it?
>
> If there's any chance of it, I might be able to reproduce the situation
> that obtained on Saturday on by shutting off the DSL modem and serving
> NFS from another machine that's dual-boot etch and lenny. It that works
> (i.e.failes properly) it will probably be an etch-specific problem, and
> the looming upgrade of our server to lenny will fix the problem.

maybe if you can, either turn on dns logging or run tcpdump -pni
<interface> --port 53 -c 100 (this will capture the first 100 dns
enquiries and see what it is trying to resolve

how does you /etc/hosts.allow look