Old 08-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Hendrik Boom

Default NFS unexpectedly starts timing out diring mount

At home we have a file server (called april), which provides a central
filesystem (called /farhome) containing everyone's home directory.

It's been working fine for years, until yesterday,

Suddenly one of our machines (called shadow) cannot mount /farhome, ans
instead gets mount timeouts.

Another machine (called lovesong), which has /farhome slready mounted, just
keeps working.

Frankly, I'm afraid to reboot lovesong in case we end up havein go run all
our programs directly on the file server.

As far as I know, nothing has changed in the systen set-up. WHich
probably just shows how little I know. I have been doing regular security
updates on the server, of course; I don't know when the most recent one
was. april runs etch, with kernel 2.6.18-6-amd64. I tried rebooting april
into an older kernel 2.6.18-3-amd64. It didn't help.

I can ping esily between the two boxes. I can ssh from shadow to april,
too, so connectivity shouldn't be a problem. The permissions in
/etc/exports are the same as always, and identify the machines by IP
number, so DNS failure shouldn't be relevant.

Does anyone have deas how to track this down?

-- hendrik