Old 08-03-2008, 04:38 AM
Ron Johnson

Default How dose a package create a database?

On 08/02/08 21:12, Adam Wakerhauser wrote:
I am packaging an application that needs to create a database. By
default it uses mysql. What is the debian way of letting a package
create a database and database user? Would I use "/etc/mysql/debian.cnf"?

I may have missed it in the documentation. I have been reading various
tutorials, the _New Maintainers' Guide_ and the _Developer's Reference_
but not cover to cover yet. Could someone please recommend the
appropriate reference?

Probably in post-inst. I know that postgresql-8.3 creates a
database, so you might want to examine it, or it's source package.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Scientists are people, too. IOW, they also "crave power, money,
respect, and influence, and they also fear for their jobs. Each
can be a healthy motivator, but each has the ability to turn a
good scientist into a bad one; and in some cases, they can turn
a good scientist into a charlatan."
http://thefutureofthings.com/book/3/the-bomb-that-never-was.html

Old 08-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Ansgar Burchardt

Hi,

Adam Wakerhauser <adam.wakerhauser@gmail.com> writes:

> I am packaging an application that needs to create a database. By
> default it uses mysql. What is the debian way of letting a package
> create a database and database user? Would I use
> "/etc/mysql/debian.cnf"?

Take a look at dbconfig-common.

Regards,
Ansgar

--
PGP: 1024D/595FAD19 739E 2D09 0969 BEA9 9797 B055 DDB0 2FF7 595F AD19

Old 08-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Adam Wakerhauser

> Take a look at dbconfig-common.

Thankyou. This looks like what I need.