-   -   Sound on an IBM NetVista; was Alsaconf & halting a frozen laptop. (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/136498-sound-ibm-netvista-alsaconf-halting-frozen-laptop.html)

08-03-2008 03:19 AM

Sound on an IBM NetVista; was Alsaconf & halting a frozen laptop.

Nigel Henry, Thomas Preud'homme & others,

Thanks for all the attention to this problem.

nh> I'd suggest adding a line to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base, as below.
install snd-hda-intel /bin/true

Very promising but, alas, it fails. alsaconf
is still required.

tp> I just blacklist via82 module. I added 3 lines
to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist :

Sorry to say that blacklisting snd_hda_intel
also fails to make sound work.

I can only speculate that snd_hda_intel is
needed to initialize something. Then
snd-intel8x0 is needed for ongoing processing.

Unless another idea surfaces, all I can think
of now is to downgrade back to etch and try
the earlier kernels mentioned by Nigel.

Thanks again, ... Peter E.

--
http://carnot.yi.org/