Old 08-02-2008, 09:37 PM
"Patrick Wiseman"

Default Finally got Google Earth working on amd64

Hello, all:

A while back, there was some discussion here about Google Earth not
working on amd64 systems. I decided to take another whack at it
today, using make-googleearth-package. I had it download the latest
GoogleEarth.bin, but then, trying to make the package, it threw lots
of warnings at me, claimed "Success!" at the end, but in fact had
failed to build a package. So, I decided just to go with 'sh
GoogleEarth.bin' (as root) which installed Google Earth. So far, so
good, but when I invoked googleearth, as an ordinary user, I got an
"authentication error." So, I googled that, and learned that I needed
to install lib32nss-mdns. Did that, and now I have Google Earth -
with all its cool new features - up and running; and I did NOT have to
remove my ~/.googleearth directory (as one googled answer had
suggested), so that all my saved sites were still listed.

Patrick

Old 08-03-2008, 09:46 AM
andy

Patrick Wiseman wrote:

[...]

It seems like you had problems beyond those which I encountered during a
clean install. I downloaded the GoogleEarthLinux.bin from the official
site, sudo chmod +x GoogleEarthLinux.bin and sudo ./GoogleEarthLinux.bin.

It installed just fine, and I am able to now run it as a ordinary user.
I didn't get any of the dependencies that you described.

This is on a pretty vanilla Lenny machine.

Andy