Old 08-02-2008, 07:09 PM
JW

Default apt: "The following packages have been kept back:"

I sometimes have a hard time figuring out why apt keeps certain packages back.
For example the other day during an apt-get upgrade it was "keeping back"
openoffice (and all the OO componant packages). It was not requiring any
packages to be removed, it wasn't causing any major packages to be upgraded.

How can I find out the *reason* why a package is kept back?

This is all on a default Etch system - nothing peculiar about it, no unstable
or backported or third party repos used, no special pinnings setup.

Thanks,

JW

Old 08-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Lubos Vrbka

JW wrote:
I sometimes have a hard time figuring out why apt keeps certain packages back.
For example the other day during an apt-get upgrade it was "keeping back"
openoffice (and all the OO componant packages). It was not requiring any
packages to be removed, it wasn't causing any major packages to be upgraded.
i don't really understand why, but *sometimes* when some additional
package has to be upgraded/installed, the original package is kept back
(in aptitude in my case).

How can I find out the *reason* why a package is kept back?
my solution is running aptitude in interactive mode and seeing the
information there. if some package is broken/conflicts, then the source
of the conflict is described in aptitude. mostly, however, no conflict
is found - then i do just U (as upgrade) and G (as go) and it proceeds
without problems. if you press just U, it will tell you what packages
are going to be installed... at least there you should be able to see
what is blocking your apt.

probably not optimal solution, but works for me

best,

--
Lubos _@_"
http://www.lubos.vrbka.net

Old 08-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Ron Johnson

I sometimes have a hard time figuring out why apt keeps certain packages back.
For example the other day during an apt-get upgrade it was "keeping back"
openoffice (and all the OO componant packages). It was not requiring any
packages to be removed, it wasn't causing any major packages to be upgraded.

$ man apt-get
New versions of currently installed packages that cannot
be upgraded without changing the install status of another
package will be left at their current version.

How can I find out the *reason* why a package is kept back?

# apt-get install <a-held-back-package>

This is all on a default Etch system - nothing peculiar about it, no unstable
or backported or third party repos used, no special pinnings setup.

This is all perfectly normal and expected behavior.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Scientists are people, too. IOW, they also "crave power, money,
respect, and influence, and they also fear for their jobs. Each
can be a healthy motivator, but each has the ability to turn a
good scientist into a bad one; and in some cases, they can turn
a good scientist into a charlatan."
http://thefutureofthings.com/book/3/the-bomb-that-never-was.html

Old 08-02-2008, 11:04 PM
Charlie

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008, JW engaged keyboard and shared this with us all:
>--} I sometimes have a hard time figuring out why apt keeps certain packages
> back. --} For example the other day during an apt-get upgrade it was
> "keeping back" --} openoffice (and all the OO componant packages). It was
> not requiring any --} packages to be removed, it wasn't causing any major
> packages to be upgraded. --}
>--} How can I find out the *reason* why a package is kept back?
>--}
>--} This is all on a default Etch system - nothing peculiar about it, no
> unstable --} or backported or third party repos used, no special pinnings
> setup. --}
>--} Thanks,
>--}
>--} JW

Then if you do <apt-get dselect-upgrade> it will tell you any packages that
have to be installed or removed to upgrade the package/s held back.

You may then, if you are so inclined - decline upgrading - or allow it to
continue.

HTH
Charlie
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524
The most I can do for my friend is simply be his

Old 08-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Telemachus

On Sat Aug 02 2008 @ 2:09, JW wrote:
> I sometimes have a hard time figuring out why apt keeps certain packages back.
> For example the other day during an apt-get upgrade it was "keeping back"
> openoffice (and all the OO componant packages). It was not requiring any
> packages to be removed, it wasn't causing any major packages to be upgraded.
>
> How can I find out the *reason* why a package is kept back?

A slightly different way to put what others have said: compare 'upgrade'
and 'dist-upgrade' in 'man apt-get'. You will see that the upgrade command
only upgrades things already on your system. It won't add new packages or
remove old ones - even to upgrade an already installed package. When you
get the "kept back" message, there is probably an upgrade that requires
adding things and (or) removing things.

Check what's going on, and then run 'apt-get dist-upgrade' to go ahead
and do it. The 'dist-upgrade' command is poorly named, since it's not only
for moving you from one major version of Debian to another (eg, Etch to
Lenny). My guess would be that the newer version of OO required new
packages that you didn't have installed yet.

HTH, T